News Bulldogs tipped for late Benji Marshall play after Burton release attempt falls through

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Averillo at 6 (Meaney at 1) otherwise Wakeham or Lewis at 6 (no running games, possibly promote BBO). Benji is too dominant and will hinder Flanagan's development imo (look at Brooks, and Benji was dropped even tho he was playing way better than Brooks). We need to move forwards not backwards. I haven't been keen on Benji from day 1, I'd rather we keep pushing for Burton up until mid year next year and use what we have. Barrett is a halves coach, he in theory should be able to get the best out of our younger and less experienced halves.
If we get Benji for 1 year...and I like the idea...Barrett must think Wakeham and Lewis aren't a 5/8 that can take us to the finals. Makes me wonder why did we have the reported phone calls late in the season between Barrett and Lewis about the future direction of the Club? Why didn't Barrett cut Lewis at that stage? Perhaps Lewis is being kept as a trading chip. Interesting times to see how we line up next year.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep also said it the first time Benji knocked back the ESL.

Again, us and Burton want 2021 but the bogans don't want that to happen.

BUT

Don't think it's over until after June 30. Benji can be moved to hooker to accommodate Burts.
Why dosent burton chuck a Ivan and jump ship like he did at tigers

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why dosent burton chuck a Ivan and jump ship like he did at tigers
The Tigers also wanted to move on. No point having a coach that's signed to go elsewhere at the end of his contract. If you can't have the coach doing decisions, e.g. recruitment, you're in a bit of a pickle. It's nowhere near as drastic for 1 player.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Probs get flamed... But I'd have Aidan Sezer for a year of he's available over Benji.
I won’t Glebe you, but can’t agree with you.

I think Benji has more spark and is more likely to help ignite our attack. He’s also a more likeable bloke with a better attitude.... I doubt Sezer would want a one year deal, either. He’s only 29. Even if he did want to sign a short term deal, I think Benji is a cut above in terms of the experience he offers and the influence he could have on our younger players (including his cousin). He has won a World Cup and a premiership and showed last year he is far from a spent force. Benji is the perfect solution, imo. The one year deal would probably suit him as much as it does us.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotta play Avo at fullback mate. IT's his long-term position and all.
We have to play avo at fullback, there’s no use playing him at 6 for just 1 year
You don’t HAVE to play Averillo at fullback. He has said plenty of times that he’s most comfortable in the halves and if he’s in a play making role getting his hands on the ball it’s not going to effect his development at all. In fact it will probably be easier for him getting experience in the NRL playing a position he is comfortable with rather then throwing him in the deep end at fullback.

Benji struggled defensively last year and I wasn’t no where near as impressed with his season in 2020 as others on here and he didn’t do anything to bring the best out in the other halves at the Broncos, Dragons or Tigers in the last few years. Plus he’s another year older he is going to decline more rather then get better at this stage of his career. I see more upside using what we have.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probs get flamed... But I'd have Aidan Sezer for a year of he's available over Benji.
Yep the last time he moved in oz I thought we should have signed him!
Think it was when he went from the gc to canb....

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You don’t HAVE to play Averillo at fullback. He has said plenty of times that he’s most comfortable in the halves and if he’s in a play making role getting his hands on the ball it’s not going to effect his development at all. In fact it will probably be easier for him getting experience in the NRL playing a position he is comfortable with rather then throwing him in the deep end at fullback.

Benji struggled defensively last year and I wasn’t no where near as impressed with his season in 2020 as others on here and he didn’t do anything to bring the best out in the other halves at the Broncos, Dragons or Tigers in the last few years. Plus he’s another year older he is going to decline more rather then get better at this stage of his career. I see more upside using what we have.
Get what you're saying mate, and I think he'd be fine at 5/8 personaly.

Just think if his long-term future is at fullback, and it definitely isn't at 5/8, then why not play him there? Why wait a year, when you can blood him in a season where expectations aren't THAT high so there isn't as much pressure on him.

Get what you're saying about Benji. Really do. And can see why people are reluctant about bringing him. But ... the question is who you'd play there instead? If Av is the only option then ... I'd sign Benjii and put Av back to where his long-term future lays

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
How did I forget about Grant? By far and away their best back then.... The point still stands. Benji was sensational this year.
Nofoaluma says no.

Still I get what your trying to say and while I want burton now I would take a 53 year old benji over Lewis and the other duds

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I cannot comprehend why anyone would have a problem with this.

1. Benji was one of the most potent halves in the comp last year and almost single handedly won games for a bog average team.

2.He would bring much needed experience to a team that is in real need of experience.

3. We have no better option to play in the halves. If Averillo’s long term position is fullback, he needs to play there next year. Playing him in the halves for one year then shifting him to fullback would only stall his development as a long term fullback.

If we’re really no chance of getting Burton to the club early, there is no downside to the prospect of signing Benji. He would help our team immensely and significantly boost our chances of playing finals footy.
Benji has skill and experience. He can win a game in the final 20 minutes.
How many players do we have who can do that for us?
Even if we kept him as a bench player, to bring on in the final minutes of each half, we'd be better off than the dud performances of the past four years.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am pretty sure there has been no one from the club quoted in relation to Benji. Seems to be media speculation just because we don’t have a 5/8th next year.

I actually heard Benji on triple m on the weekend and there was not one mention of us. He only mentioned the sharks and cowboys

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get what you're saying mate, and I think he'd be fine at 5/8 personaly.

Just think if his long-term future is at fullback, and it definitely isn't at 5/8, then why not play him there? Why wait a year, when you can blood him in a season where expectations aren't THAT high so there isn't as much pressure on him.

Get what you're saying about Benji. Really do. And can see why people are reluctant about bringing him. But ... the question is who you'd play there instead? If Av is the only option then ... I'd sign Benjii and put Av back to where his long-term future lays
I guess it just comes down to what is more important next year. Averillo’s development at fullback or fielding the team that gives us the best chance of winning games? Obviously this is all personal preferences because everyone has different ideas about their best team.

Benji is such a loose band aid solution at this point in his career. I doubt he lasts a full season either at his age and with his injury history.Id just rather Averillo 5/8 and using one of the fullbacks on the books already when you take everything into account.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Don't see the appeal in Bunji, he might've racked up attacking stats but his overall impact on sides in recent years has hardly been a success. Sort of like the Latrell/Allen situation at the Rabbits...Latrell might rack up 3 try assists in a game but overall the team functioned better with Allen even if he didn't put up the attacking numbers of Latrell.