News Bulldogs tipped for late Benji Marshall play after Burton release attempt falls through

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you know where Avo was training ?
It looked like he filled in for Okunbor in one opposed session, on the outside, and Crichton was his opposition. Lewis (this will go down well) looked to be the 5/8 or 1/2 and he was crisp and energetic. I wasn't there for long, my excuse ran out. Meaney floated inside and outside Hopoate, that's why I think he was training at fullback, but opposed session are often mixed up with different players in different positions on with different teams from day to day.

Go Dogs

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looked like he filled in for Okunbor in one opposed session, on the outside, and Crichton was his opposition. Lewis (this will go down well) looked to be the 5/8 or 1/2 and he was crisp and energetic. I wasn't there for long, my excuse ran out. Meaney floated inside and outside Hopoate, that's why I think he was training at fullback, but opposed session are often mixed up with different players in different positions on with different teams from day to day.

Go Dogs
Thanks mate. I guess one positive with playing Lewis at five eight is that he is a left sided player with a left foot kicking game. That’s what Burton will bring in 2022 so our structure won’t change.

That’s the only positive though. Our halves won’t possess any running threat at all with ball in hand

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We only need Robyn for a season. Benji cant defend nor is he a mentor. He has been to tigers & broncs and no half there has kicked on under his alledged tutelage. Quite simply I would rather save our dough and put either Lewis or Averillo in the position. I think Averillo is more suitable to other positions than 5/8 plus, as pointed out here already, we have a full time 5/8 incoming so why waste a year of development of Averillo in a position he wont play long term.
Averillo needs time on the field and a year at 5/8 should not adversely affect him when he is handed the FB rein.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thanks mate. I guess one positive with playing Lewis at five eight is that he is a left sided player with a left foot kicking game. That’s what Burton will bring in 2022 so our structure won’t change.

That’s the only positive though. Our halves won’t possess any running threat at all with ball in hand
thats what should happen, but Lewis played right side because he cant pass right to left. all it did was put pressure on both foran and his kicking game as the markers were attacking the kicking leg.
the only time he passed right to left he turned his back and passed left to right, he is fukn useless and a last option

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats what should happen, but Lewis played right side because he cant pass right to left. all it did was put pressure on both foran and his kicking game as the markers were attacking the kicking leg.
the only time he passed right to left he turned his back and passed left to right, he is fukn useless and a last option
Yes he did mate but Flanagan plays on the right and he will 100% play there next year. Lewis played right because Foran prefers the left.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

exactly right.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
He’ll generate some points alone. To be honest i’m sick of losing and if we have spare cap space lets use it. He may also help raise the profile of our club.

Bulldogs fan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
U guys 2021 is a big year for us who knows what Trent has coming who knows maybe c smith has signed with us. We need to use 2021 to our advantage. We need to figure out what we need for 2022 so we can become contenders. We need to figure out our back rower problems, bench, where averillo is playing, and give the young guns a go so we know who to sign and who to let go, this would be the lineup to win the title

1.meany/ av
2.cotric
3. chrighton
4.schooup/av
5.jac
6. M burton
7.flanagan
8.Thomson
9.Brandon s
10. ?
11.doorey
12 RFM
13 elliot
14 jmk
15 Waddell/ jackson
16 hethrington
17 ?

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Really not too keen on this at all. I think we have better options with what we already have with Averillo at 5/8 and then use Hoppa or Meaney at the back. A 35 year old Benji really isn’t the answer.
I tend to agree with Spoonman........I think that Benji tends to like to "run the show" and this approach could intimidate Flanagan to some extent (and we want him to develop his game management skills.....he needs to have control of the game). I am also not sold on Jake for 5/8 as I think defensively it might take a little too much out of him (he is not overly big)........better suited to the No 1 in my opinion (although I still think that Meaney has something to offer......hate to see him wasted on the wing).........

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Avo is a winger or a centre.
Might as well play him there as he will not be our fullback when the fox arrives

Is this a gee up?? Avo will be a 5/8 or FB.. He could play wing or centre at a pinch but would be totally wasted in both positions. He has more creative potential in his little toe nail than JAC does, Ado Carr is a GUN winger and nothing else.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is this a gee up?? Avo will be a 5/8 or FB.. He could play wing or centre at a pinch but would be totally wasted in both positions. He has more creative potential in his little toe nail than JAC does, Ado Carr is a GUN winger and nothing else.
Avo needs a year on the wing. Worth throwing him at 5/8 but i wouldnt be surprised if Lewis and Wakeham get first opportunity.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nah, deep end of the pool time now for him. Put a 6 on his back and if need be shift him to 1 when Burton comes. In 21 if no Burton we play Meaney @ 1 and Hopa with Cottic
Kids one of the best things coming through and u want to break him? Deep end territory, Avo is still learning to swim, kid deserves at least another year before trying to drown him.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo will be fullback
Why do a lot of people on this Forum want Averillo at Fullback ? he has only played a handful of first grade games and none at fullback, personally from what I saw of him this year, I think he's a bit soft and doesn't handle pain very well, that's why I think Meanie who handled the Fullback position quite well this season, and is pretty fast, should be fullback until JAC takes over the position in 2022, In fact I'm tipping this to happen under TBaz. I would play Averillo in the Centers and get him used to it for 2022 when Meanie goes back to the wing and Burton takes over the 5/8 role , Also I would give Benji a go for one year we have lots to gain & nothing to lose.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kids one of the best things coming through and u want to break him? Deep end territory, Avo is still learning to swim, kid deserves at least another year before trying to drown him.
Make him not break him. He would work well with Flange and it would build his confidence. Jake turns 21 this season so he is not really a kid NRL wise.

He definitely is a talent and perhaps with the coaching team assembled he will develop quickly into a confident 1st grader. Anything he develops at 5/8 will only help him if he does end up at FB in 22.

it really depends on Barrett’s vision for him.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make him not break him. He would work well with Flange and it would build his confidence. Jake turns 21 this season so he is not really a kid NRL wise.

He definitely is a talent and perhaps with the coaching team assembled he will develop quickly into a confident 1st grader. Anything he develops at 5/8 will only help him if he does end up at FB in 22.

it really depends on Barrett’s vision for him.
Were all salivating over Burton, however we "may/may not" have potential an equal in Averillo for the no.6, so I can see a possible difficult situation the club might have in holding on to both.
Burton was touted as the next Fittler, Cleary would have to rocks in his head to let go of the next Fittler.
Averillo "might" become a great FB in a year or 2, but like many I believe his best position would be 5/8. IMHO he will never make a great centre or winger. If he doesn't make it at FB I can see the club losing him, which would be a pity because I'm sure he is loyal and wants to stay at the club.
Could Burton be used in another position such as no.9.
Guess we'll wait and see what the experts say and do, and how things turn out.