Official Bulldogs sign Jack Hetherington

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
I hope we don't try and make him play any different. We signed him for how he plays. I want him to go out there and be man of the match, despite getting sin binned and missing the next two matches for clocking someone in the head, hopefully we still have some of Graham's denco rub lying around to get him psyched up before games. Go out there mate and bite someone's ear off!

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On NRL Tonight they said it was a 2 year deal plus another 1 year option.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I understand why you compared them but Thommo's experience is far and beyond Hetherington's, I wouldn't worry too much I doubt Barrett would sign someone he wouldn't think improve under him, and it obvious Hetherington knows why he's not getting a real crack and will be willing to do whatever to his game to get game-time.
You've convinced me! I was thinking of throwing a few other of our props in there as well, so let's do it. For convenience I copied Jack and Thommos to the top of my reply.

Just a touch over 6 hours on field time in 8 games. Average 45 minutes a game.
Tackles 158, missed 17, 10.8% missed percentage. About 1 tackle every 2.3 minutes he is on the field.
Runs 61, metres 562, 9.2m average. 8 offloads, 6 tackle breaks, 1 line break. About 1 run every 6 minutes he is on the field.
5 errors, 5 penalties, 1 sin bin.

For comparison, here is Thommo, who as we know had some quiet games for a month or so.
Almost 9 hours on field time in 10 games. Average 53.5 minutes a game.
Tackles 293, missed 21, 7.2% missed percentage. About 1 tackle every 1.8 minutes he is on the field.
Runs 124, metres 1089, 8.8m average. 6 offloads, 5 tackle breaks, 2 line breaks. About 1 run every 4.3 minutes he is on the field.
3 errors, 4 penalties, 0 sin bin.

Napa
Almost 13 and a half hours on field time in 16 games. Average 54 minutes a game.
Tackles 417, missed 33, 7.9% missed percentage. About 1 tackle every 2.1 minutes he is on field.
Runs 204, metres 1662, 8.1m average. 4 offloads, 9 tackle breaks, 0 line breaks. About 1 run every 4.2 minutes he is on the field.

Renouf
Almost 7 and a half hours on field time in 16 games. Average 28 minutes a game.
Tackles 238, missed 21, 8.8% missed percentage. About 1 tackle every 1.9 minutes he is on field.
Runs 112, metres 1082, 9.7m average. 8 offloads, 15 tackle breaks, 1 line breaks. About 1 run every 4 minutes he is on the field.
1 errors, 1 penalties, 0 sin bin.

Ogden
A little over 6 and a half hours on field time in 11 games. Average 31 minutes a game.
Tackles 171, missed 18, 10.5% missed percentage. About 1 tackle every 2 minutes he is on field.
Runs 86, metres 798, 9.3m average. 1 offloads, 5 tackle breaks, 0 line breaks. About 1 run every 3.9 minutes he is on the field.
3 errors, 1 penalties, 0 sin bin.

Tolman
A little over 17 hours on field time in 17 games. Average 61 minutes a game.
Tackles 622, missed 22, 3.5% missed percentage. About 1 tackle every 1.7 minutes he is on field.
Runs 275, metres 2158, 7.8m average. 3 offloads, 9 tackle breaks, 1 line breaks. About 1 run every 3.8 minutes he is on the field.
5 errors, 3 penalties, 0 sin bin.

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You've convinced me! I was thinking of throwing a few other of our props in there as well, so let's do it. For convenience I copied Jack and Thommos to the top of my reply.

Just a touch over 6 hours on field time in 8 games. Average 45 minutes a game.
Tackles 158, missed 17, 10.8% missed percentage. About 1 tackle every 2.3 minutes he is on the field.
Runs 61, metres 562, 9.2m average. 8 offloads, 6 tackle breaks, 1 line break. About 1 run every 6 minutes he is on the field.
5 errors, 5 penalties, 1 sin bin.

For comparison, here is Thommo, who as we know had some quiet games for a month or so.
Almost 9 hours on field time in 10 games. Average 53.5 minutes a game.
Tackles 293, missed 21, 7.2% missed percentage. About 1 tackle every 1.8 minutes he is on the field.
Runs 124, metres 1089, 8.8m average. 6 offloads, 5 tackle breaks, 2 line breaks. About 1 run every 4.3 minutes he is on the field.

Napa
Almost 13 and a half hours on field time in 16 games. Average 54 minutes a game.
Tackles 417, missed 33, 7.9% missed percentage. About 1 tackle every 2.1 minutes he is on field.
Runs 204, metres 1662, 8.1m average. 4 offloads, 9 tackle breaks, 0 line breaks. About 1 run every 4.2 minutes he is on the field.

Renouf
Almost 7 and a half hours on field time in 16 games. Average 28 minutes a game.
Tackles 238, missed 21, 8.8% missed percentage. About 1 tackle every 1.9 minutes he is on field.
Runs 112, metres 1082, 9.7m average. 8 offloads, 15 tackle breaks, 1 line breaks. About 1 run every 4 minutes he is on the field.
1 errors, 1 penalties, 0 sin bin.

Ogden
A little over 6 and a half hours on field time in 11 games. Average 31 minutes a game.
Tackles 171, missed 18, 10.5% missed percentage. About 1 tackle every 2 minutes he is on field.
Runs 86, metres 798, 9.3m average. 1 offloads, 5 tackle breaks, 0 line breaks. About 1 run every 3.9 minutes he is on the field.
3 errors, 1 penalties, 0 sin bin.

Tolman
A little over 17 hours on field time in 17 games. Average 61 minutes a game.
Tackles 622, missed 22, 3.5% missed percentage. About 1 tackle every 1.7 minutes he is on field.
Runs 275, metres 2158, 7.8m average. 3 offloads, 9 tackle breaks, 1 line breaks. About 1 run every 3.8 minutes he is on the field.
5 errors, 3 penalties, 0 sin bin.
Looking at those stats then you sit back and think how is he better than what we already have, but he brings the aura of a menace and is a hype man I guess, let's hope that those stats especially the 1 run every 6min is just because he was playing with the warriors and their big boppers. Again for his price which I'm assuming is quite cheap and upside he has I'd still like the signing especially for his offloads and second phase footy ablility.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
ive seen alot of talk about his signing, and if this wasnt all over the paper the oil would be off the charts because everyone at bulldogs HQ are auper excited for him, but what i really want to know is how much he getting.

i feel dogs wanted him more than vice versa and paid out.

initial offer was 375ish

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bunch of hard nosed battering rams with leg speed. RT is probably the only different forward there atm.

Hopefully with Napa's tenure coming to an end we can use his money for that Papali, Paulo type.
Ogden??

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Looking at those stats then you sit back and think how is he better than what we already have, but he brings the aura of a menace and is a hype man I guess, let's hope that those stats especially the 1 run every 6min is just because he was playing with the warriors and their big boppers. Again for his price which I'm assuming is quite cheap and upside he has I'd still like the signing.
I agree he is likely good value for price. Its going to depend on exactly how Baz wants to use him. He started half his games at Worriers, which is perhaps why he has more minutes per game than a typical bench impact forward, if Baz puts him on the bench he'll want to be upping his workrate a LOT. TBH all of our forwards can afford to step up. If we are going to be a chance of making the 8 we really need a couple of blokes including a starting prop in that 9.5 to 10m a run range, which is going to be harder for them given they are all going to have to be putting in more runs with Tolman gone. Its easier to average 10m a run if you are only doing 1 every 6 minutes. Try doing them nearly twice as often and it gets harder.

Plus the missed tackle percentage is pretty rubbish, we aren't going to challenge for the 8 unless our middle forwards are completing tackles more often. Hit and stick lads.

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree he is likely good value for price. Its going to depend on exactly how Baz wants to use him. He started half his games at Worriers, which is perhaps why he has more minutes per game than a typical bench impact forward, if Baz puts him on the bench he'll want to be upping his workrate a LOT. TBH all of our forwards can afford to step up. If we are going to be a chance of making the 8 we really need a couple of blokes including a starting prop in that 9.5 to 10m a run range, which is going to be harder for them given they are all going to have to be putting in more runs with Tolman gone. Its easier to average 10m a run if you are only doing 1 every 6 minutes. Try doing them nearly twice as often and it gets harder.

Plus the missed tackle percentage is pretty rubbish, we aren't going to challenge for the 8 unless our middle forwards are completing tackles more often. Hit and stick lads.
See the problem with the tackle efficiency is both Hetherington and other new signing Waddell is they're trying to get the big hits but they miss, much like if you watch the highlights for Hetherington he hit JWH but bounced off those are the ones that kill their tackle efficiency. And about the run meters honestly I'd prefer him to run 8m and offload than fighting for an extra meter or two, but that's just me.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just watched a highlight reel on Facebook ... He seems to have a decent offload and a bit of speed although not sure if video played at faster speed

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
From what I've seen of Hethrington, he will suit our style based on our past successes prior to Des. Great agility and speed, nice off load and offcourse aggression. Similar to Thompson.
I'll take that and the coach can work on the rest.
We will have 3 main BIG hitters next year in Hethro, Nappa and Ogden.
Can't wait.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
See the problem with the tackle efficiency is both Hetherington and other new signing Waddell is they're trying to get the big hits but they miss, much like if you watch the highlights for Hetherington he hit JWH but bounced off those are the ones that kill their tackle efficiency. And about the run meters honestly I'd prefer him to run 8m and offload than fighting for an extra meter or two, but that's just me.
Yup that is what happens. And that is a legit tactic in the right place. Problem we had this season was too often one of our middle forwards would try and put on a hit when the attack was within 20m of the try line, would fail to stick, and the opposition made use of the resulting gaps. Hopefully with the new coaching staff in place the players will be more disciplined in the right contexts.