News Bulldogs search for Addo-Carr NRL solution ( Perth Now)

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury know the key to ending the longest try-scoring drought of Josh Addo-Carr's career isn't as simple as just getting the game's fastest man more ball.
It's about good ball, in good space.

Addo-Carr will enter the traditional Good Friday clash against South Sydney without a try in his last seven games.

Five of those have been in Bulldogs colours, with the drought dating back to the first week of the finals last year at the Storm.

It's a far cry from the Addo-Carr who scored 23 tries in 22 games last season.
Or the man who in one game against the Rabbitohs last year, bagged six tries on his own.
Getting through work with ball in hand hasn't been a problem for Addo-Carr
This year.

Notably he is doing more of it than in any other year of his career, taking more than 13 carries a match.
His yardage is also up, helping the Bulldogs come out of their own end as they look to end their four-game losing streak.
But crucially, it's about where he gets it.
Of Canterbury's 44 play-the-balls in Penrith's half last week, the ball was not passed to Addo-Carr at all.

In fact, the Bulldogs flyer touched it just three times inside the opposing half.

Twice when he went to dummy-half and passed off the ground, and once more when he broke free from his own end and put Joe Stimson over.

On one occasion in the second half, Addo-Carr roved behind the play and across the field to search for the ball with the Bulldogs in attack but still couldn't find it.

It's something the Bulldogs know they must find a solution to, with more ways to get Addo-Carr into free space.

"We do. And obviously with Josh a lot of the space that he gets is created by the blokes inside him," coach Trent Barrett said.

"He is going to be the beneficiary of that.

"The more we can move the ball and the better we can get there and the better field position we can get.
"It's earning the right to play too. Our forwards have a job to gain some momentum before we can shift the footy.
"It's all linked in together, and the whole 17 need to play well for the individuals to play well."
Addo-Carr himself is also well aware that will take time, but is insistent the tries will eventually arrive.

"I know what my job is, that's trying to come out of my own end and get the metres for the boys," he said last week.
"All that stuff will come down the track.
"If you start worrying about that other stuff like scoring tries, it plays on you mind. That stuff will come."0BD39C29-CB63-40CA-8529-D398C14121E5.jpeg

Last edited:

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After all these rounds and he is yet to receive any good ball? I wouldn’t be going public about something as embarrassing as that. Even though it’s obvious to everyone, it’s still a massive face palm! We buy the quickest player in the league and done fuck all with him.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last few games I’ve watched I can’t understand why we wouldn’t shift the ball early when we’re in our half, even off a kick return. That’s one thing I loved when Des coached is we weren’t afraid to use it when we had space and a lot of the time we made good yardage. Shift the ball to addo carr when the defensive line is scattered instead of giving him hit ups

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is one guy I can see jumping ship if we keep playing bazz ball.
How on earth we get the supposed attacking guru coach and look like lost sheep every single week.
It’s shocking and reflects poorly on the coach,enough of this shit already

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our attack is so predictable that opposition centre's know when to rush in and stop the ball going out to Addo Carr. More likely to get a try off a kick...

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You know it's bad when a afl dominated state has to get in on stating the obvious.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Obviously we're not giving him many good opportunities or enough early ball but Fox needs to go looking for it more from dummy and the few opportunities he has had, he's looked hesitant or down on confidence.

Hopefully we see him in space soon. He showed with the break against the Storm to set up Stimson how lethal he can be. I think once he sores his first try, he'll score a bunch of them soon after..

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There are three distinct problems:

1. Our centres, whoever is in there, rarely pass the ball. The times they do, the movement is too slow and creates no opportunities.

2. A forward gets in the way of an attempt to go wide and cuts back into the defence

3. Our halves rarely ever look to throw a cut-out ball to a winger. I think in 5 games, this happened just once in the dying stages versus the Broncos where Burton found Addo-Carr and shock-horror, he found himself into space!

Of note, with the two genuine speed men we do have, why on earth would we not attempt:
•An early long range kick for Addo-Carr? At best, he regathers for a try, at worst it’s a forty-twenty or great field position.
•A short inside kick for a flying Dufty - not once have we kicked for him, go figure?

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all starts from the 9. Being slow and lacking the ability to pass off the ground. He does t even throw a cut out. Mahoney will improve is heaps. But still the fact that JMK doesn’t even attempt a cutout or any sorry of plays to help the halves leaves me to think that the coach is killing our players.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our attack is so predictable that opposition centre's know when to rush in and stop the ball going out to Addo Carr. More likely to get a try off a kick...
This. There’s so many opportunities to kick early for JAC, even coming out of our own end, when teams have compressed defensive lines. Even early in the game, kick in behind the wingers. Who cares if it goes out, at least it’ll put doubts in there mind to rush in.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all starts from the 9. Being slow and lacking the ability to pass off the ground. He does t even throw a cut out. Mahoney will improve is heaps. But still the fact that JMK doesn’t even attempt a cutout or any sorry of plays to help the halves leaves me to think that the coach is killing our players.
I can’t wait for Mahoney to actually spin the ball 3 defenders wide of the ruck to give players space and get them on the outside of there men.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yes our attack is struggling, but it's not like JAC was scoring every week for the Storm ...

In 2021 he only scored 2 tries in the first 6 games. With JAC only scoring against Panthers and Bulldogs

I think it's a massive overreaction considering he's gone from a top 4 sides arguably always top 2... down to the spooners.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury know the key to ending the longest try-scoring drought of Josh Addo-Carr's career isn't as simple as just getting the game's fastest man more ball.
It's about good ball, in good space.

Addo-Carr will enter the traditional Good Friday clash against South Sydney without a try in his last seven games.

Five of those have been in Bulldogs colours, with the drought dating back to the first week of the finals last year at the Storm.

It's a far cry from the Addo-Carr who scored 23 tries in 22 games last season.
Or the man who in one game against the Rabbitohs last year, bagged six tries on his own.
Getting through work with ball in hand hasn't been a problem for Addo-Carr
This year.

Notably he is doing more of it than in any other year of his career, taking more than 13 carries a match.
His yardage is also up, helping the Bulldogs come out of their own end as they look to end their four-game losing streak.
But crucially, it's about where he gets it.
Of Canterbury's 44 play-the-balls in Penrith's half last week, the ball was not passed to Addo-Carr at all.

In fact, the Bulldogs flyer touched it just three times inside the opposing half.

Twice when he went to dummy-half and passed off the ground, and once more when he broke free from his own end and put Joe Stimson over.

On one occasion in the second half, Addo-Carr roved behind the play and across the field to search for the ball with the Bulldogs in attack but still couldn't find it.

It's something the Bulldogs know they must find a solution to, with more ways to get Addo-Carr into free space.

"We do. And obviously with Josh a lot of the space that he gets is created by the blokes inside him," coach Trent Barrett said.

"He is going to be the beneficiary of that.

"The more we can move the ball and the better we can get there and the better field position we can get.
"It's earning the right to play too. Our forwards have a job to gain some momentum before we can shift the footy.
"It's all linked in together, and the whole 17 need to play well for the individuals to play well."
Addo-Carr himself is also well aware that will take time, but is insistent the tries will eventually arrive.

"I know what my job is, that's trying to come out of my own end and get the metres for the boys," he said last week.
"All that stuff will come down the track.
"If you start worrying about that other stuff like scoring tries, it plays on you mind. That stuff will come."View attachment 46338
It all starts at 9

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton has been really poor but TK doesn't want to talk about it.
Let’s talk about it
Marshall is stifling our whole structure when he delays passes and hogs and doesn’t time anything well,everything else goes to shit because players are getting ball almost as quick as the are tackled,coach needs boys deeper and more inside decoys