Bulldogs reveal who’s going in massive roster clean out

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m happy with the people let go I think we had 17-18 off contract and ended up letting 12 go . this roster we had was pure shit come next year the rest of the surviving plodders will be gone as we have a heap off contract next year too this is when the Gus effect will come in. Gus is a smart man but his ego is big and failing he won’t we have a board willing to back him and money in laundy to help and as for baz I wouldn’t be suprised if he has 8 games to get it right

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Love seeing the departing list of players. I don't know why the club re-signed T.Kotoa. He is the very definition of a plodder and should have been let go too. Until Flanno, Allen, Waddell and Stimson are gone, the cleanup is not done...Gus still has more work to do
Probably as much a cost based decision as anything else. Can't have 12 high priced outside backs. When cotric and Jac are likely on pretty good coin we had to pay a couple of budget wingers as back ups.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Probably as much a cost based decision as anything else. Can't have 12 high priced outside backs. When cotric and Jac are likely on pretty good coin we had to pay a couple of budget wingers as back ups.
Couldn't agree more. We've neglected our juniors for ages so its the reason we don't have 5x Paul Alamoti's in our Top 30. People on here expecting every player to be Addo Carr quality.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m happy with the people let go I think we had 17-18 off contract and ended up letting 12 go . this roster we had was pure shit come next year the rest of the surviving plodders will be gone as we have a heap off contract next year too this is when the Gus effect will come in. Gus is a smart man but his ego is big and failing he won’t we have a board willing to back him and money in laundy to help and as for baz I wouldn’t be suprised if he has 8 games to get it right
I'll be glad when the rest of the shit are gone but their gonna drag down the team next season, look at the roosters even though they've lost a lot of players through injuries their still competitive, if our team get too many injuries we'll end up near the bottom of the table again.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that is a clean out! We'll see a lean and slick Bulldogs outfit next year. Let the expectations begin. :smirk:

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be glad when the rest of the shit are gone but their gonna drag down the team next season, look at the roosters even though they've lost a lot of players through injuries their still competitive, if our team get too many injuries we'll end up near the bottom of the table again.
The shit thing is pathways have suffered across the board with the nsw-qld cup being postponed and junior leagues in limbo a lot of the next wave of talent are worse off with 2 years of little to no footy
Another 12 months the rest of the plodders are gone.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The clean out was absolutely necessary. They are all "B" graders, except Meaney.
I think the critics of Barrett must now realise he had an awesome job to try and get that lot ready and to try and motivate them.
Not a coach in history could have achieved anything with that lot.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. We've neglected our juniors for ages so its the reason we don't have 5x Paul Alamoti's in our Top 30. People on here expecting every player to be Addo Carr quality.
Couldn’t agree more with Atoni and Ogden great examples they were a key reason behind us winning the Canterbury cup (whatever it’s called) a few years ago but weren’t pushed for fitness and strength to develop into cheaper front row options, but instead need to move on to make it

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The clean out was absolutely necessary. They are all "B" graders, except Meaney.
I think the critics of Barrett must now realise he had an awesome job to try and get that lot ready and to try and motivate them.
Not a coach in history could have achieved anything with that lot.
Still didn't have them playing to even 70% of their ability, nor get selections, bench rotations, mount any sort of competitive game plan or cohension or develop any skills or confidence in any player.

That's a coaches job.

He failed as much as the players did this year...and is as much to blame as them, at least.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
A major objective of having quality players in our team next year is so they drag the average players up a level or 2. It has happened many times in our past with common examples of Kevin Ryan, Bobby McCarthy, Turvey, Baa etc all lifting the players around them to levels that they would not have achieved otherwise.

The comparison to the Chooks isn't really valid as, despite injuries and retirements, they still fielded a number of quality players, Tedesco, Manu, Keary, JWH, Crichton etc and even Radley, who seemed to be missing a lot, has played 14 games. Let's face it, as much as I respect them, the Mozzies were no longer strike players, plus Cordner and Field were also well past their prime. The reality is Chooks have won 15 games and lost 8 and had some big scores put on them, FFS the Donkeys put 34 on them back in May, more recently the Panthers 38 and the Storm 46 (the Chooks didn't score a single point in that game).

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more with Atoni and Ogden great examples they were a key reason behind us winning the Canterbury cup (whatever it’s called) a few years ago but weren’t pushed for fitness and strength to develop into cheaper front row options, but instead need to move on to make it
Can't speak about Atoni, but there is no doubt Ogden was pushed, frequently and hard. He had achievable KPI's and milestones that he never ever managed to reach. He just didn't seem to have the drive, despite warning after warning, counselling, countless one on one training and fitness sessions and being dropped numerous times. He had more than enough chances, more than enough help and he still failed.

Always a Bulldog

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Still didn't have them playing to even 70% of their ability, nor get selections, bench rotations, mount any sort of competitive game plan or cohension or develop any skills or confidence in any player.

That's a coaches job.

He failed as much as the players did this year...and is as much to blame as them, at least.
What makes you think these discarded players had more ability to offer ?
I think they all reached they’re ceiling cap and in some cases these players had 2-3 coaches to harness and improve their abilities and didn’t.

Barrett is a rookie coach who has made mistakes , no doubt but to say he failed to get the best out of the players when the players he’s got have played to their potential is not his fault and the fact that these players have no clubs chasing them indicates the quality of some of these players