Official Bulldogs Reject Sports Betting

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"It is the fish corruption that John West Canterbury rejects, that makes John West the Bulldogs the best" :grinning:

- We reject betting in sports
- Corrupt biased NRL officials
- NRL playing favourites, and,
- Fucked up media outlets pushing their own agendas....this means you Buzz, you pickled old fart!!!

View attachment 42018
I was thinking the same...

Things just gotten harder on the field for us :rage:
Keep an eye on the corrupt referees :fearscream:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People that think this is "woke" are so wrong it's not funny. It's woke to be anti-gambling now? lmfao..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
it is all a publicity stunt, we get all our funding from leagues club and their pokies
The sponsors/advertisers kick in quite a bit plus the NRL Grant to clubs is purported to be increasing to $12m for this year. Those 2 together would cover the majority of our NRL costs, the Leagues club funding would be used for pathways, facilities etc.

Always a Bulldog

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I may not have been clear in my choice of words. Firstly I’m not better (or worse) than anyone. And of course my kids have seen me drink at home. My point is that what I do at home or what I do at the pub could well be different, but I’m responsible for my decisions, I’m not going to blame outcomes on anyone else and I want them to learn the same disciplines - which is why I think you’re a product of your environment, regardless of external influences like ads or anything else. We can’t keep everyone wrapped in cotton wool.
Yes, the choice is ours.
Wrapping people in cotton wool weakens them.
Is it essential to promote gambling ? it's a big no for me !!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, the choice is ours.
Wrapping people in cotton wool weakens them.
Is it essential to promote gambling ? it's a big no for me !!!
All good, think we can leave it there :-).

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The sponsors/advertisers kick in quite a bit plus the NRL Grant to clubs is purported to be increasing to $12m for this year. Those 2 together would cover the majority of our NRL costs, the Leagues club funding would be used for pathways, facilities etc.

Always a Bulldog
Genuine question...
Do you have an idea of how much betting agencies are profiting from gambling on the game every year ?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
People that think this is "woke" are so wrong it's not funny. It's woke to be anti-gambling now? lmfao..
Nah, that was a pisstake :-).
It’s just that no matter what happens these days there’s always someone with a disapproving tut ready to show their moral superiority and, well, bugger that.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Genuine question...
Do you have an idea of how much betting agencies are profiting from gambling on the game every year ?
Can't help with that one, I haven't seen any split from the betting agencies on what sport provides what revenue. I do recall that Sportsbet and Ladbrokes report NRL as being their highest, but no specific $'s.

Always a Bulldog

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty happy that we're among the two NRL clubs to knock back the gambling sponsorship from online bookmakers.

I know we still profit from poker machines, and if it wasn't the way of sporting organisations in this country to get ahead for at least the last 50 years I'd probably push for that to be abolished too.

But like others have said, chucking money on the pokies usually requires a multiple step process of getting to a venue to gamble. These online platforms are insidious and encourage betting from anywhere at any time. I recently worked with a 19yo that would frequently lose his money on his lunch break at work two or three days after payday on sports he didn't even support or follow.

I've had one of my great nephews try to encourage me to bet online because he thought it looks exciting (11 years of age).

So yeah I know poker machines are evil, but they're not as insidious as being shoved in your face and being available anywhere you can connect to the internet.

Kudos to the club even if it's a token gesture given that we still rely on pokies.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty happy that we're among the two NRL clubs to knock back the gambling sponsorship from online bookmakers.

I know we still profit from poker machines, and if it wasn't the way of sporting organisations in this country to get ahead for at least the last 50 years I'd probably push for that to be abolished too.

But like others have said, chucking money on the pokies usually requires a multiple step process of getting to a venue to gamble. These online platforms are insidious and encourage betting from anywhere at any time. I recently worked with a 19yo that would frequently lose his money on his lunch break at work two or three days after payday on sports he didn't even support or follow.

I've had one of my great nephews try to encourage me to bet online because he thought it looks exciting (11 years of age).

So yeah I know poker machines are evil, but they're not as insidious as being shoved in your face and being available anywhere you can connect to the internet.

Kudos to the club even if it's a token gesture given that we still rely on pokies.
Spot on A...
We all have known of people who's lives and families lives were ruined by gambling, without revealing information I knew someone who's gambling story addiction is mind blowing.
We simply don't need to promote possible families distractions !!!

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can't help with that one, I haven't seen any split from the betting agencies on what sport provides what revenue. I do recall that Sportsbet and Ladbrokes report NRL as being their highest, but no specific $'s.

Always a Bulldog
Thanks mate

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Poker Machines perfectly fine though?
Does any team have that on their jersey but? The thread is about the jersey.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Pokes can be such insidious things. You only have to hang around a pokie room to see that (or manage a bar). We all probably know of a story of someone losing everything or stealing from their employer etc. They remain the biggest problem as far problem gamblers are concerned. When i used to work in receiverships of pubs and clubs the first thing we looked at was how to get pokie revenue up. I attended all the gaming trade shows and got invited to the junkets. My boss expected me to be a fanboi of gaming and you would never be allowed to be critical of it. I'm so glad i'm not around that anymore TBH.

However, at least in NSW you can't advertise or promote pokies (well not directly). This is a good thing. Here is QLD its really in your face a lot more, with big signs outside every venue. Kids are also not playing pokies or being directly exposed to them as much (certainly not compared to when we were kids and we could just basically sit in the pokie room having a lemonade whilst your dad lost his money). They are, however, getting smashed by sports betting every other minute as if its a normal part of the game day experience.

At the end of the day, whilst it may look hypocritical to some (which i 100% totally get). IMO this is overall a good thing.

i needed a drink before an appointment, and had to walk through the pokies,, full of old people, wouldnt be surpised if they're going through their pensions, then you walk into the bar area where more old folks lining up to put money on the tracks

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Adding to this - at least now, when I'm watching the Dogs play - I will have less of the Gambling Advertising coming my way. If I want to go to the Club and play the Pokies, that's 100% on me for physically taking myself there, sitting down, and feeding $50's into the machine. When I'm watching sport, I want to sit down and enjoy the contest - I don't give two shits about the awesome "Flying Foxx Anytime Tryscorer Special" being broadcast pre-game/ mid-game/ post-game. I just want to watch footy.
Where's the limits? I usually find their ads entertaining (but over used repeatedly). If it's not Sports gambling it'll be some other extreme materialistic industry advertising, eg sports cars? Then in a few years time, they'll be blamed for promoting reckless driving and the deaths of innocent people and families. It's got to be abit of balance, they can't take full responsibility for problem gamblers or whatever and therefore the NRL/ teams lose an income stream

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I always found it hypocritical that they jumped on their soap boxes back in the day to get Winfield out of the game and left alcohol and even worse got betting involved.

Great decision, support it 100%!

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Where's the limits? I usually find their ads entertaining (but over used repeatedly). If it's not Sports gambling it'll be some other extreme materialistic industry advertising, eg sports cars? Then in a few years time, they'll be blamed for promoting reckless driving and the deaths of innocent people and families. It's got to be abit of balance, they can't take full responsibility for problem gamblers or whatever and therefore the NRL/ teams lose an income stream
Advertising will always be a part of sports as a revenue stream. This level of mental gymnastics you have just pulled off is absolutely hilarious. There’s a massive difference between “and before we kick off here’s a same game multi you can put your hard earned straight into” vs “here’s the new Mercedes, now enjoy the game”. I have never once watched an ad for a new car and decided to do burnouts down the Hume highway. In fact advertising regulations ensure that cars can’t be displayed driving dangerously.