News Bulldogs Recruitment Rater 2021

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BULLDOGS

2021 gains: Jack Hetherington (Panthers), Nick Cotric (Raiders), Corey Waddell (Sea Eagles), Kyle Flanagan (Roosters), Corey Allan (Rabbitohs)

2021 losses: Sauaso Sue (Knights), Reimis Smith (Storm), Kerrod Holland (retirement), Kieran Foran (Sea Eagles), Marcelo Montoya (Warriors), Aiden Tolman (Sharks), Jack Cogger (Huddersfield), Isaiah Tass (Broncos), Tim Lafai (unsigned)

Rating: A: Finally the Bulldogs are free of the salary cap shackles that restrained them for what seems like an eternity and new coach Trent Barrett has hit the market. Securing NSW representative Nick Cotric back in July last year was the defining moment for Canterbury. It kicked things into gear and all of a sudden the club became attractive to in-demand players once again.
After Cotric, came Kyle Flanagan, Jack Hetherington, Corey Waddell and most recently Corey Allan. There’s also 2022 signings Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton as the cherry on top — however they have not been considered in this rating. To make room for new recruits the Bulldogs farewelled a number of players — the majority of which couldn’t lock down a regular spot in the NRL side. Playmaker Kieran Foran will be a big loss though, especially given all of their halves options have played fewer than 40 NRL games.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
How is Kieran Foran considered a big loss? Letting him go frees up our cap that he was talking up sitting on the bench. It's more of a gain if you ask me..
Losing your best player is a big loss. Foran played 3/4 of the season last year and was our most involved player in attack, the majority of good stuff we did was going through him. It's a big void to fill short term.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Losing your best player is a big loss. Foran played 3/4 of the season last year and was our most involved player in attack, the majority of good stuff we did was going through him. It's a big void to fill short term.
I guess so but we won 3 games. Foran leaving allows us to afford 2 players to strengthen some of the weaknesses in the side.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cotric was a Pay signing wasn’t he?
Actually I believe Cotric knew Pay was on the outer that's why he signed, that and the chance to play centre....of course the money helped also :grinning:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sign a decent number 9 somehow and we've done very well. Who knows who we can get with Napa's money next year too.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We were losing klemmer, we had to do something
My opinion is always be careful of players the roosters are happy to offload, they rarely let good players go early unless they have someone better lined up. I hope Flanagan is the exception.

I think the bulk of fans would have preferred to wait and sign someone decent instead of having an immediate replacement.

All we can hope for is a change of coach and contract year might get him fired up this year.