Bulldogs ready to swoop on cap-strapped Broncos

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should be able to throw that or more at grant or smith

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
So the Gold coast offer is now 1.25mill compared to 700k from broncos.. it's only a 1 year deal..Does he take a pay cut by sticking with broncos but gets a 3 year deal worth 1.3 from Broncs going forward.
Would be interesting to see if he stays with Broncs for longer with massive pay cut.. NRL would have to see the books. No one will give up 525k a year .

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the Gold coast offer is now 1.25mill compared to 700k from broncos.. it's only a 1 year deal..Does he take a pay cut by sticking with broncos but gets a 3 year deal worth 1.3 from Broncs going forward.
Would be interesting to see if he stays with Broncs for longer with massive pay cut.. NRL would have to see the books. No one will give up 525k a year .
he took a 1 year deal because he is trying to fuck off his current manager, has 1 more year to run with him, once his contract is up in 12 months he will be looking for a pay day

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah agree the only logic I can see is Brisbane is going to sign him for 1 year and offload 1-2 excess forwards so they can upgrade him 2022 onwards. Plus all the third stuff they will organise for him.
Wont offload excess forwards. they will replace bird,Darius and milf with cheap guys.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
he took a 1 year deal because he is trying to fuck off his current manager, has 1 more year to run with him, once his contract is up in 12 months he will be looking for a pay day
he doesnt need a one year deal to fuck off a manager.

"your services are not required' is how he fucks off a manager when off cobntract.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Wont offload excess forwards. they will replace bird,Darius and milf with cheap guys.
Pretty hard bro if Milf and Darius dig their heels in like Eastwood did to us.. they like us will probably have to let go someone they would prefer to keep..

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty hard bro if Milf and Darius dig their heels in like Eastwood did to us.. they like us will probably have to let go someone they would prefer to keep..
Why? their contracts run out at year end 2021.

Darius is actually retiring this year.

So if Darius on 800 leaves, replace or upgrade him with someone on 300k- 500k extra
After 2021 Jack birds million dollar contract ends. Replkace him with a 300 player-700 extra (now up to 1.2).
Also Milf is on 800 i think. Hes in a key position so if his replacement comers at 500. thats 300k extra.

we now have easily added 1.5 mil to the brisbane warchest for 2022.

THIS appears to be the reason Fifita wants a 1 year gig, and presumably wants to either secretly sign a contract in nov or announce a return mid next year.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Why? their contracts run out at year end 2021.

Darius is actually retiring this year.

So if Darius on 800 leaves, replace or upgrade him with someone on 300k- 500k extra
After 2021 Jack birds million dollar contract ends. Replkace him with a 300 player-700 extra (now up to 1.2).
Also Milf is on 800 i think. Hes in a key position so if his replacement comers at 500. thats 300k extra.

we now have easily added 1.5 mil to the brisbane warchest for 2022.

THIS appears to be the reason Fifita wants a 1 year gig, and presumably wants to either secretly sign a contract in nov or announce a return mid next year.
Ok, we are both assuming here.. but reports are Brisbane can offer Fifita a max $700k for next year. Don’t worry about Darius retiring that money has already been accounted for as they upgraded a number of players Staggs being just one of a few. Plus there are other players off contract At the end of this year and Milf is supposedly on $1m Bird on $800k.. there is a reason they tried to move Milf on early and they would have loved Bird to go as well would make things a helluva lot easier... but they won’t so that’s why they are under a lot of pressure right now... not to mention based on what is currently being paid for a marque forward right now... someone like Payne Haas would be on unders... how long before his manager seeks an upgrade? So signing Fifita now basically means they can’t retain the off contract players for next year or they force others out to resign them... hopefully you comprehend that...

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t get the hype around Flegler, I mean he’s alright but nothing spectacular, makes some stupid errors.
I’d take Coates, TPJ and obviously Fifita and Staggs.
The rest can stay. Most have no heart. Given Tesi has re-signed, if he didn’t him also.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not in the best interests of the club to have that amount of cap on one player.
It is better to spread it over a few players on lesser money.

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever the going price for Fifita, he's shown he's as adept to the quick buck as his cousin. And for that reason alone, we should avoid him like the plague. Do we really want the baggage that comes with a mercenary who has issues within and beyond, none of them related to club loyalty. Yep, I know it's an outdated concept but a commitment to the blue and white is the very least you'd expect during the time he'd be under contract with us. All we're likely to get from Fifita is two 'smiley-faces' inked onto a contract, one more than the one his cousin scribbled onto his when he was supposedly coming to the Dogs. All I see with David Fifita is a rerun of the Barba saga.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not in the best interests of the club to have that amount of cap on one player.
It is better to spread it over a few players on lesser money.
I don’t know about that. Hasn’t hurt Melbourne with Smith, or Cowboys with Thurston, or Teddy with the Roosters and it looks like it’s paying off with Moses at Parra.

They have all won Premierships or made GFs except for Parra who look good to make a GF this year.

Buying a Fifita, Munsta, Kearey or similar would help us do the same.

I really wanted Ponga...

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I'll only consider Jack Bird if he cuts that damn mullet off! You only belong at Cronulla with that monstrosity.
And loses some weight... he’s top heavy, hence the knee problems

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don’t get the hype around Flegler, I mean he’s alright but nothing spectacular, makes some stupid errors.
I’d take Coates, TPJ and obviously Fifita and Staggs.
The rest can stay. Most have no heart. Given Tesi has re-signed, if he didn’t him also.
Because power, footwork and motor.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So...how come we have only signed a prop from England and no top shelf players from the NRL?
Thompson was signed for next year and we did some great negotiation to get him here 6 months early.
Our extreme Salary Cap limits are for this year and last year and the year before.
The NRL requires us to have 30 registered players with a minimum contract limit.
As a result we could not recruit "top shelf players", for this year and last year and the year before because there was not enough cap space for 30 players.
Next year there is actually space in the salary cap to recruit "top shelf players".
The NRL has extended the deadline from 30th June to 3rd August, for signing players for this year.
The NRL has not allowed us to "spend" the Salary Cap space freed up by CHN and JO.
Will that happen before 3rd August, FIIK.

In summary, whinging on endlessly about this year and last year and the year before simply demonstrates ignorance of the position we were in and how the NRL rules fark us over until we clear it.

Are they saving themselves for November?
Plainly they are active in the market place and they are also plainly being very selective in who they pursue. The jounos can guess and speculate all they like, they will know and be able to report facts (not bullshit) after it's actually happened. Getting all worked up over media reporting is stupidity personified.

Go Dogs