Bulldogs ready to swoop on cap-strapped Broncos

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
ok let’s look at how he signed them .
Ponga played 2 games of nrl and they paid overs long term . Massive gamble he could have been a dud
Guerra was a dud and still a dud and past his prime , roosters were not going to resign him , Mann was struggling to get game time at dragons and on top was shuffled around , not a big name signing
Pearce was the big key signing and that ONLY occured due to them already having some players on the books , side was improving and the Johns brothers selling the club (who do the dogs have to do high profile selling of the club ). Klemmer went there after all those others got there and had Pearce selling the club in origin camp (why do you think after origin knights capitulated and stopped playing for brown when they were top 4, things get said and done in origin camp)

the issue is getting the big name signing off the bat and that’s were the coach and club attractiveness comes into play , otherwise you have to slowly build year on year on . The issue is with dogs they have not been building up the side until this war chest is available so thinking you will make big kills with everything remaining the same coach wise is fanciful especially when players can see the club is on the slide , have been poor for 3 years and have a coach that hasn’t shown anything of substance
Newcastle were "poor for 3 years and had a coach that hadn’t shown anything of substance" and yet they signed Pearce because of some unnamed (by you) "players on the books". I'd suggest we have Hopoate, DWZ, Thompson and Foran who are "players on our books" better than what Newcastle had before they freed up the Cap space and spent $huge.

As for the Johns Bros, they had no impact for 10+ years on attracting players to Newcastle and suddenly they jump up and make a difference. I don't think so, the fact is Newcastle had cap space and they went out and spent it, attracted players, despite having a far shittier coach than we do.

Go Dogs

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Only seen that in one game he’s played, rest have been average imo
He's 20 playing in the frontrow at a club with major issues, you aren't going to see any sort of consistency unless he's an out and out star under those conditions.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thompson was signed for next year and we did some great negotiation to get him here 6 months early.
Our extreme Salary Cap limits are for this year and last year and the year before.
The NRL requires us to have 30 registered players with a minimum contract limit.
As a result we could not recruit "top shelf players", for this year and last year and the year before because there was not enough cap space for 30 players.
Next year there is actually space in the salary cap to recruit "top shelf players".
The NRL has extended the deadline from 30th June to 3rd August, for signing players for this year.
The NRL has not allowed us to "spend" the Salary Cap space freed up by CHN and JO.
Will that happen before 3rd August, FIIK.

In summary, whinging on endlessly about this year and last year and the year before simply demonstrates ignorance of the position we were in and how the NRL rules fark us over until we clear it.

Plainly they are active in the market place and they are also plainly being very selective in who they pursue. The jounos can guess and speculate all they like, they will know and be able to report facts (not bullshit) after it's actually happened. Getting all worked up over media reporting is stupidity personified.

Go Dogs
Nice use of bold and underlining, But still means nothing. It is almost mid July and regardless of Covid-19 or any other factor we are still little more than 5 months from pre-season training for 2021 "THE YEAR" (font change, underline, bold and rabbits ears).The year we are suddenly to morph into a top 8/4 team.

All bullshit aside Twin, players are being signed at other clubs for next year and the talent pool is dwindling by the day. My concern for a while has been the lack of urgency given our position that we have money to spend and have played with lack of roster for several years. Throw in a coach who I desperately wanted to succeed but for whatever reason just hasn't. Telling people over and over that its just the rosters fault is a cop out because the roster has beaten better teams than ours in the last year or so but now look like rabble even when putting in effort. That is a coaching department issue.

Dean needs help immediately either with talented assistants or somebody above him as Football manager that has cred, or he needs to be replaced with a proven coach. Otherwise the trend of missing the right players will continue and when its too late we will panic buy players like James Maloney or Blake Green from the Warriors or a fuckwit like Joey dogshot Leilua for way to much money and probably end up on the cripple list like Foran.

What the fuck are Lynne and Chris waiting for? They are creating all this heat (from the media, factions, the supporter base) themselves by not getting on the front foot. Surely Chris who was a pretty decent coach himself does not think Smith and DWZ are anything but wingers and that kids like Averillo are our future..?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice use of bold and underlining, But still means nothing. It is almost mid July and regardless of Covid-19 or any other factor we are still little more than 5 months from pre-season training for 2021 "THE YEAR" (font change, underline, bold and rabbits ears).The year we are suddenly to morph into a top 8/4 team.

All bullshit aside Twin, players are being signed at other clubs for next year and the talent pool is dwindling by the day. My concern for a while has been the lack of urgency given our position that we have money to spend and have played with lack of roster for several years. Throw in a coach who I desperately wanted to succeed but for whatever reason just hasn't. Telling people over and over that its just the rosters fault is a cop out because the roster has beaten better teams than ours in the last year or so but now look like rabble even when putting in effort. That is a coaching department issue.

Dean needs help immediately either with talented assistants or somebody above him as Football manager that has cred, or he needs to be replaced with a proven coach. Otherwise the trend of missing the right players will continue and when its too late we will panic buy players like James Maloney or Blake Green from the Warriors or a fuckwit like Joey dogshot Leilua for way to much money and probably end up on the cripple list like Foran.

What the fuck are Lynne and Chris waiting for? They are creating all this heat (from the media, factions, the supporter base) themselves by not getting on the front foot. Surely Chris who was a pretty decent coach himself does not think Smith and DWZ are anything but wingers and that kids like Averillo are our future..?
FWIW I'd hazard a guess and say that the preseason won't start until February next year, with SOO being on past mid November. How that affects the 30th November deadline I have no idea.

Who exactly in the top player echelon has signed for another club for next year? The only one I can think of is Frizzle and he just wanted out of the StGeorge basket case and didn't want to wait a year until Flanno takes over.

Source ; https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/player-movements/

The Broncos haven't signed anyone at all
The Raider haven't signed anyone at all
The Sharks haven't signed anyone at all
The Titans haven't signed anyone of note, I don't consider CThompson to be of note and I can't spell Fa'asuamaleaui
The Sea Eagles haven't signed anyone at all
The Storm haven't signed anyone at all
The Warriors haven't signed anyone of note, I don't consider Hetherington, Murchie or Murdoch-Masila to be of note
The Knights have signed Frizzle that's all
The Cowboys haven't signed anyone at all
The Eels haven't signed anyone of note from the NRL, although Rankin from Huddersfield might well turn out OK
The Panthers haven't signed anyone at all
The Rabbits have signed Arrow, but that deal was done a long time ago
The Dragons haven't signed anyone at all
The Roosters haven't signed anyone of note, I can't spell Faamausili either
The Tigers haven't signed anyone of note, with only, what's with these unspellable names, FFS Utoikamanu and Blore, phew at least I can spell that

Of course players have resigned, but changing clubs, we have by far the biggest signing in Thompson.

Go Dogs

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FWIW I'd hazard a guess and say that the preseason won't start until February next year, with SOO being on past mid November. How that affects the 30th November deadline I have no idea.

Who exactly in the top player echelon has signed for another club for next year? The only one I can think of is Frizzle and he just wanted out of the StGeorge basket case and didn't want to wait a year until Flanno takes over.

The Titans haven't signed anyone of note, I don't consider CThompson to be of note and I can't spell Fa'asuamaleaui
The Warriors haven't signed anyone of note, I don't consider Hetherington, Murchie or Murdoch-Masila to be of note
The Eels haven't signed anyone of note from the NRL, although Rankin from Huddersfield might well turn out OK
The Tigers haven't signed anyone of note, with only, what's with these unspellable names, FFS Utoikamanu and Blore, phew at least I can spell that

Of course players have resigned, but changing clubs, we have by far the biggest signing in Thompson.

Go Dogs
Pre season will be later but I doubt more than December/early Jan and the season wont start any later unless we have a further outbreak of Covid.

Just because a player re-signs like Ponga for example he is still a marque player we could of had if we had the right deal. Mate, I have seen this sort of thing happen many times before were lack of urgency ultimately becomes utter desperation. Given our tough couple of years and the teams peril this year we are in no position to sit back and hope the cards fall our way.
Thompson is a good signing hopefully but its hardly a rebuild job done moment and we need a 9 more than air, and either a top shelf half or fullback.

We should be setting the pace with recruitment and the clock and remaining talent pool are reducing. You might be comfortable that it will all pan out, I certainly am no where near as confident.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

i don't think it's lack of urgency. I think it's an insistence to go for the right people in the right position (good) but then insisting on not paying overs or much overs to get them over (questionable). The players we want are in real demand.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Pre season will be later but I doubt more than December/early Jan and the season wont start any later unless we have a further outbreak of Covid.
My views, no inside info, but with SOO likely to be end of season next year as well, if it goes OK this year, then they could start the season 2 to 3 weeks later to allow players the usual 2+ months before preseason starts.

Just because a player re-signs like Ponga for example he is still a marque player we could of had if we had the right deal. Mate, I have seen this sort of thing happen many times before were lack of urgency ultimately becomes utter desperation. Given our tough couple of years and the teams peril this year we are in no position to sit back and hope the cards fall our way.
Thompson is a good signing hopefully but its hardly a rebuild job done moment and we need a 9 more than air, and either a top shelf half or fullback.

We should be setting the pace with recruitment and the clock and remaining talent pool are reducing. You might be comfortable that it will all pan out, I certainly am no where near as confident.
I am neither comfortable or confident, what my point was that I keep seeing posts ranting and raving that we have missed out on signing every other player, based on journos' bullshit. When the undeniable fact is no one has signed anyone of note (Frizzle not withstanding). It's an urban myth spread on TK, the truth is we have demonstrably made the biggest signing of anyone in Thompson.

Plainly we need and have the Cap space (finally) for a few quality signings for next year, but we do have 5+ months, maybe 6+, and I would hate to see us blow our load prematurely and then miss out on the player/s that we really want/need. It's all about the timing and being patient, whilst working diligently on signing the "right" player/s. If that's next week or next month then so be it.

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Call him Tino.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fix the fucking spine fullback HOOKER and half otherwise we won’t get anything out of the other positions

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One thing is for certain. Flegler would fit into our powderpuff pack. Has plenty of errors in him also

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tpj would be handy for go forward. Could create a bash bros with him and Thompson.

But agree, we need a class Hooker and Fullback. Throw in a half and good wingers