Bulldogs' pup Groomed for big time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulina..

BrysonGoodwin♥
Reaction score
HAILED as a player of real promise by a rugby league legend, Berowra product Aaron Groom appears to have a bright future staring him in the face.

Upon his first sighting of Groom at a Canterbury Bulldogs training session this year, Australian Rugby League halfback of the century Andrew Johns in his capacity as a club coaching consultant couldn't help but admire the 21-year-old former Berowra Wallaby's talent.

It has been a long journey, though. Groom, a half who moved to the Bulldogs from Manly this season, started playing rugby league for Berowra in the under-6s and starred in the shire's north until the under-17s.

It was about then he was spotted by Manly. Groom played under-16s, under-18s and under-20s football for the Sea Eagles before cracking the senior squad in their reserves last year.

He then moved across town to the Dogs; a switch he said he made because it was a younger team and gave him the chance to develop his skills in elite football.

"Our top squad at the Bulldogs is mostly aged between 19 to 23, so we're a lot younger than other teams," Groom told the Advocate.

"It's more of a building block and gives you an opportunity. The team has a great culture and attitude and they are a good bunch of boys."

Groom said his grounding in Berowra gave him the skills and determination to embark on a professional career.

"Berowra has a culture and mentality that was branded into me at a young age," he said.

"There are a lot of players that are good enough to make it because they have the skills, but they don't have the right mindset.

"Berowra has a tough, never-give-up attitude which contributed to me making it this far."

Although training six days a week, Groom tries his hardest to get down to Berowra's Warrina St Oval as often as he can.

"I enjoy watching them play. Professional football can get serious, so it's good to watch them play and have fun," he said.

Groom aims to continue to play NRL football regularly and said he was happy with the Bulldogs.

With all the praise buzzing in his ears, Groom knows he has to stay humble, which is why he never forgets where he came from.

He had special praise for Wallabies coach Tony Porter.

"Tony really knew what he was talking," Groom said.

"He helped me ease into the game and taught me a better understanding of football."

Support from family and friends are a motivating force for Groom.

"My debut was in Queensland (Gold Coast) so they couldn't make it. But they all let me know that they were watching it, and wished me good luck," he said.

http://www.hornsbyadvocate.com.au/article/2008/07/02/2231_sports.html

FIRE UP GROOMY!
Good luck champ :D

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I like the kid, and had fairly high hopes for him this year. Hopefully he can make the most of this bench hooking role the rest of the season and kickstart his FG career.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Its good he is humble, not trying to hold the club to ransom so they can pick him FG

H

Haztrick

Good on him. He's a player of the future, no doubt in my mind about that. He has attack, defence and is getting better and better, especially under Joey.

Benok

New Pup
Reaction score
I'm from berowra,
Seen him play a few times and carves up the locals.
Good to see him getting back home to support local league.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Groom > Barba
In terms of talent Groom has shown more as well...

Atleast Groom has that "I will tackle this guy even if he is 10x bigger than me"

Barba would shriek and run away..

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Nice to hear from Aaron and good to know that his feet are firmly planted on the ground. Good luck this week Groomy!

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
kick ass groomy
the best junior to choose at the moment, has a much better all round package than any other half coming through the ranks right now, he deserves his chance for sure

Paulina..

BrysonGoodwin♥
Reaction score
Good on him, seriously. He is keeping a light head on him and that's exactly what is needed. He knows that if he performs well then the FG spot is practically his for the year. I just hope he gets decent game time and has a blinder on Monday.
He is such a down to earth bloke tbh and he deserves to succeed.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
if only K.moore would take this side this monday night.

Show what he can do with juniors off the bench.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

lets hope he shows the form in first grade where it counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.