Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did Cleeland end up?

Last edited:

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hoppas still our best fb option
Hoppa may well be our best option but if we’re to make any progress in this rebuild then we need to be developing players for the future...

I don’t think Hoppa fits into our future lineup unless he can become a genuine centre and we also don’t need to be wasting time playing our prospect players in reserve grade when we have positions up for grabs in first grade.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hoppas still our best fb option
If hes our best option, it doesnt say much about our future.
A fullback needs speed. He needs to be able to return the ball with some intent.
He needs to be good defensively. He needs to be positionally aware.
Sadly Hopoate offers little of the above.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A fullback needs speed. He needs to be able to return the ball with some intent.
There is definitely room for improvement and one Swallow doesn't make a spring, but he put Smith away to the try line against StGeorge, twice as I recall with speed, a step, and positional awareness...

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt TRex play a few also?
Yep, Dark days they were! Happier times ahead.
Despite hoppas failings at centre last year , I still think he can improve and become a really solid centre

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoppa has been around for ages and still hasn't nailed down a position. His lack of acceleration and agility is just a massive liability in the backline and it's holding him back. Definitely needs to drop some weight imo.
He will probably play centre just because we have no one else, but personally i think he's best suited on the wing right now. Playing him at fullback fulltime is just a waste of everyones time.
I think Hopoate is a quality fullback, yes there are better fullbacks in the NRL but there are just as many that are worse. He has safe hands under the high ball, busts tackles, offloads prodigiously and sets up tries when the support is there (as it was in the last 6 games this season). He would easily be my pick as starting fullback next season. If Meaney is good enough then his form will demand that he be picked, but until then Hopoate is the incumbent.

Go Dogs

silva

Utility
Reaction score
He makes up for it just having a good football brain though. Highly underrated player imo. I agree with all your points though, he just doesn't have the athleticism anymore. TBH I think he would go alright at 5/8

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just really don’t like this bloke at all do you? It’s hard to see the good when you don’t allow yourself to see it.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You just really don’t like this bloke at all do you? It’s hard to see the good when you don’t allow yourself to see it.
Any thing I say is not directed at him personally. He appears to be a terrific person. Sadly he is not a naturally gifted footballer.
In the modern game, the FB needs special skills. I have seen glimpses of his skills, but not enough to get excited about.
I really hope Nick Meaney is the goods and I think he may well be. Just hope he gets a chance to show it.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The game T Rex played 5/8 against Manly was unreal hahaha T Rex was hitting players on the chest with perfect paces and putting blokes through holes. His best game in a Dogs jersey
Haha yeah he did, surprised alot of us from memory.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Where do you think hopoate will be playing ?
He'll start at fullback with Meaney already stating to the media that "it's his position to earn", therefore inferring that he won't be starting fullback in 2019.

Where did Cleeland end up?
Park footy somewhere probably. If you haven't made it at 28 years old, your never going to make it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think Hopoate is a quality fullback, yes there are better fullbacks in the NRL but there are just as many that are worse. He has safe hands under the high ball, busts tackles, offloads prodigiously and sets up tries when the support is there (as it was in the last 6 games this season). He would easily be my pick as starting fullback next season. If Meaney is good enough then his form will demand that he be picked, but until then Hopoate is the incumbent.

Go Dogs
Hoppa isn't the incumbent, he's just a fill in. Like i have said previously, if he had better acceleration and agility then he would be a top line fullback. He can have as many other things going for him, but what he lacks just makes too big of a difference. You just can't afford to carry a fullback that moves like him in todays game.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoppa isn't the incumbent, he's just a fill in. Like i have said previously, if he had better acceleration and agility then he would be a top line fullback. He can have as many other things going for him, but what he lacks just makes too big of a difference. You just can't afford to carry a fullback that moves like him in todays game.
Your obsession with only looking at one aspect, how fast a player can run, demeans the other skills that a quality NRL player has to possess. Seriously would you have the much faster Dufty instead? Ignoring his plethora of shortcomings just because he can run fast? Or Mbye? Boyd? Coote? Gordon? Whighton? Gutherson?

Go Dogs