News Bulldogs look to future with fresh roster for upcoming season

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I cant see how anyone could put Montoya in their team after last season. He was terrible. Unless he hits some of his 2017 form in the trials, i think he will be in reserves for a long while.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant see how anyone could put Montoya in their team after last season. He was terrible. Unless he hits some of his 2017 form in the trials, i think he will be in reserves for a long while.
He looks like he’s trimmed down over the off season. He’s not as bad as we all exaggerate, but he’s far from a good FG winger. He’s just a basic mediocre option who will be a reliable backup. He really needs to develop a step, and work on his defensive structures. If he just stays on his edge and marks his man without rushing in and causing an overlap each time he will increase his rating amongst fans quite substantially.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s good to think the dogs are under rated, but I think Lachlan Lewis and Keiran Foran will shock everyone next season. It’s good that a lot of people are bagging the dogs out but what Lachlan Lewis did last season is only the beginning.

exactly. We were destined for the spoon before Lewis entered the frame and got us a few wins. He is in for a big season next year. He likes to take on the line also which will take heat off of Foz... I like the combo, it's the best we've had in a while.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
exactly. We were destined for the spoon before Lewis entered the frame and got us a few wins. He is in for a big season next year. He likes to take on the line also which will take heat off of Foz... I like the combo, it's the best we've had in a while.
Yeh a fair bit hinges on how Foran comes up next year, and if he lasts the whole year without any major downtime from injury. If he can play all year, and at his best, he will be a great asset, and Lewis will benefit having the experience of Foran with him all year and it can only help his development. Lets hope for the best.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I reckon he was carying that injury through most of the season and being needled up before it's finally gone completely.

They were doing the same with Foran before his toe gave him too much grief and they had to pull him.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We were shit to be fair most of last season and we only lost a fair few games by close margins. Surely there is alot of room for inprovemnet but if we can get Lewis and Foran to fire we could be in for some surprises. Throw in Smith and RFM aswell as some new recruits in CHN and Sue I think this will improve our performances. We just need our core to stay fit.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if we can replace the Morris boys with capable replacements and Klemmer with Napa, we will be a more skilful outfit than this year by a fair bit. Not as experienced, but definitely hungrier and more skilful.

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Montoya best game last year was at Centre v Knights

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Montoya wouldn't look out of place at the Titans

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a lot of uncertainty this next season But...
From the current squad This is the most likely starting team and why
1 Meaney....Was bought for this purpose
2 Crichton....He has what we lack speed and power
3 Holland.....His attack is good but needs to work on his defense
4 Hopoate....The only reasonably experienced back we have better suited at wing
5 Smith........The shining light of our back-line
6 Lewis.........The best young 5/8 we have
7 Foran.........If fit and stays fit he could become our best asset and a guide for Lewis
8 Tolman.......Not flashy but Mr reliable
9 Lichaa.........Like him or not we have no better
10 Klemmer....If he stays he is the best forward we have
11 Jackson......he is our captain
12 Martin........Generally reliable, our best goal kicker
13 Elliott.........He got better at season's end very passionate
14 Brown........He can cover hooker, 1/2 or 5/8 just ahead of JMK or Coggar
15 CHN...........It will not be too long before he starts
16 & 17 .........It will be a selection from Fualalo, Ogden, RFM, Toomaga, Sue, Smith, Tualau and Roumanos
Hopefully form will decide !!!
Your post is actually quite intriguing. I never looked at it this way. If you break down the team like the way you did it actually shows that all of the boys have at least one positive/ comparative advantage over others. All of them have potential to be something very special.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not a lot has been made about Nick Meaney but the kid is going to be special imo

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Montoya would be good anywhere but at the dogs.
Check out his highlights on youtube. Montoya is more than capable. He hasn't showed us anything yet. I say just give montoya a bit more time. I think he will be surprise this year. Don't forget Josh Morris once said Montoya is one of the best new talents he has seen. Surely there is something else.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I must admit I felt a bit sorry for Montoya at times this year.. I'm not going to make excuses for his attack but his defence looked a whole lot worse than what it probably was, due to the fact that the defenders inside him were constantly leaving him to defend 2 to 3 on 1

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must admit I felt a bit sorry for Montoya at times this year.. I'm not going to make excuses for his attack but his defence looked a whole lot worse than what it probably was, due to the fact that the defenders inside him were constantly leaving him to defend 2 to 3 on 1
I agree completely. Each time he let in a try you could see it on his face that he was thinking "shit not again". The sad thing is he was actually trying very hard. By round 5 he was completely lacking confidence. I definitely know that Montoya has capability. MY only fear is whether he can move on from 2018. He just needs to forget about 2018 and back himself.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Check out his highlights on youtube. Montoya is more than capable. He hasn't showed us anything yet. I say just give montoya a bit more time. I think he will be surprise this year. Don't forget Josh Morris once said Montoya is one of the best new talents he has seen. Surely there is something else.
Off the top of my head, Montoya would be in the bottom 2 worst wingers in the Comp.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Still not convinced hoppa wouldnt make a good ctr. One of the best at draw and pass. Good at putting ppl in space etc. I think the issue with the defence on left side in 1st half of season was due to the structure we had. Plus he had the slowest winger outside him. Thats my opinion.
Dont really understand how he can make a good winger when lack of pace is his issue.
Hoppa is a good centre when the whole team is playing well. He's unselfish and will always find his outside man when the opportunity arises, similar to Dean Whare... Will just needs to polish up his defence if he is to play there.
Personally I want us to persist with Holland and hopefully have him partner Cotric in the centres in due time.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its the only one that we have had in a while