News Bulldogs look to future with fresh roster for upcoming season

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Canterbury appear to have an eye on the future having been big players in the transfer market for the 2019 season.

The club have lost a wealth of experience while gaining stacks of potential stars.

With a new-look roster and plenty of youth at Belmore, the Dogs loom as an intriguing prospect for the upcoming season.

Full squad

1. Adam Elliott, 2. Aiden Tolman, 3. Brandon Wakeham, 4. Chris Smith, 5. Christian Chrichton, 6. Corey Harawira-Naera, 7. Danny Fualalo, 8. David Klemmer, 9. Fa’Amanu Brown, 10. Francis Tualau, 11. Jack Cogger, 12. Jayden Okunbor, 13. Jeremy Marshall-King, 14. John Olive, 15. Josh Jackson, 16. Kerrod Holland, 17. Kieran Foran, 18. Lachlan Lewis, 19. Marcelo Montoya, 20. Michael Lichaa, 21. Nick Meaney, 22. Ofahiki Ogden, 23. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 24. Reimis Smith, 25. Renouf To’omaga, 26. Rhyse Martin, 27. Sauaso Sue, 28. Will Hopoate, 29. Zac Saddler

Ins

Jack Cogger (Newcastle Knights, 2020), Christian Crichton (Penrith Panthers, 2021), Corey Harawira-Naera (Penrith Panthers, 2022), Nick Meaney (Newcastle Knights, 2021), James Roumanos (Cronulla Sharks, 2021), Chris Smith (Sydney Roosters, 2020), Sauaso Sue (Wests Tigers, 2020)

Outs

Greg Eastwood (released), Asipeli Fine (released), Matt Frawley (Huddersfield Giants), Moses Mbye (Wests Tigers), Brett Morris (Sydney Roosters), Josh Morris (Cronulla Sharks), Clay Priest (released), Aaron Woods (Cronulla Sharks), Zac Woolford (Newcastle Knights)

Recruitment strength

Canterbury are going through the early stages of a rebuild not at all dissimilar to what Newcastle have experienced in recent years, and their recruitment is reflective of that. They’ve lost plenty of experience in the Morris twins and Aaron Woods, while they’ve signed several young prospects with enormous potential.

The likes of Jack Cogger and Nick Meaney could be stars of the future, but are likely to need a full-season under their belts before truly hitting their straps.

Corey Harawira-Naera and Christian Crichton had strong years at Penrith in 2018 and look as though they’ll add tremendous value at Belmore.

Best 17

1. Nick Meaney, 2. Christian Chrichton, 3. Will Hopoate, 4. Kerrod Holland, 5. Reimis Smith, 6. Lachlan Lewis, 7. Kieran Foran, 8. David Klemmer, 9. Michael Lichaa, 10. Aiden Tolman, 11. Josh Jackson, 12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 13. Rhyse Martin. Interchange: 14. Jeremy Marshall-King, 15. Corey Harawira-Naera, 16. Adam Elliott, 17. Sauaso Sue

Forwards

Should David Klemmer remain at the club, Canterbury look quite strong in the engine room. Harawira-Naera is a serious talent and could easily win his way into a starting edge role prior to the season opener. He’ll provide plenty of energy off the bench alongside Adam Elliott and recruit Sauaso Sue. Michael Lichaa lacks creativity around the ruck and desperately needs a breakout year to solidify his future in the NRL.

Backs

The consistent Will Hopoate is probably the Dogs best option at fullback. However, with highly touted youngster Nick Meaney joining from Newcastle and the club having one eye towards the future, it could suit the balance of the side to play Hopoate at centre.

Reimis Smith evolved into an electric winger at the backend of last season that saw him win four straight man-of-the-match awards for the Dogs.

Canterbury should be aiming to utilise his speed and strength by giving him a licence to roam in and around the ruck, much like Canberra do with Jordan Rapana.

Will enough space be created out wide to give himself and Crichton decent opportunities to weave any magic?

Spine

The Dogs looks to be facing the same old issue that’s plagued them in recent years of where they’ll conjure their points. Kieran Foran remains at the club for now, but he’s been strongly linked to a return to Manly under former mentor Des Hasler.

Provided Foran remains in blue and white, his wearying body will be put through the ringer in pre-season to determine whether he’s still capable of competing in the top grade. It could be a tough season for the Dogs, so Dean Pay may be tempted at some stage to look towards 2020 by starting Cogger over Foran, and Meaney at fullback ahead of Hopoate.

Regardless, there’s plenty of options if combinations fail to fire.

Where they’re lacking

Outside of Will Hopoate, who isn’t exactly a creative genius, the Canterbury spine lacks class. All men are very capable first-graders, but together they lack the quality to conjure points.

In recent years the shuffled playmaking quartet have looked in slow motion during attacking raids.

Dean Pay needs to get the side playing flatter and quicker to put the opposition under pressure and force them into making defensive decisions.

It’s something Foran is more than capable of if he can get his body fit enough to compete on a weekly basis.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/5532c129728bea9cb5dfe970b5bcddb2

Reactions: jof

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Why do predicted line ups always have some weird selection in them? Martin at lock? 1 prop on the bench? Lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So they leave out Montoya, state that Hopoate is the creative spark in the side, and yet move him to centre (a position he's proven to be woeful at).

What metho drinking dickhead from the Terrorgraph thought this made for good reading?

yearofthedog

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
So they leave out Montoya, state that Hopoate is the creative spark in the side, and yet move him to centre (a position he's proven to be woeful at).

What metho drinking dickhead from the Terrorgraph thought this made for good reading?

Where do you think hopoate will be playing ?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Where do you think hopoate will be playing ?
The only position for Hopoate (if he does play FG) is on the bench.
He is to slow and cumbersome for fullback. He lacks any speed which is essential.
His defensive liabilities have been tested at centre. He just doesnt cut it. Although he lacks the necessary skills, he could fill a bench spot if there is no other option.
My preference is to try the newer guys and see if they fire, and leave Hopoate in ISP.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

To be fair the journo is just making the assumption Meaney wins the fullback job. We don’t know how the preseason will go but that is at least a possibility. Hoppa will be in the side somewhere.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slow and uncreative Hoppa may be, but he is still a talented and generally safe player.
I would think pending the off-season training, that he would at least start the season ahead of Meaney at fullback.
If he doesn't retail the fullback spot, could he edge out Crichton for the wing spot?
I can't see them putting him back in the centres.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that we could surprise a few people next year.. unfortunately we do not have the depth to feature in the finals for mine, however we will improve on this year and come close to a top 8 birth in my opinion..

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only position for Hopoate (if he does play FG) is on the bench.
He is to slow and cumbersome for fullback. He lacks any speed which is essential.
His defensive liabilities have been tested at centre. He just doesnt cut it. Although he lacks the necessary skills, he could fill a bench spot if there is no other option.
My preference is to try the newer guys and see if they fire, and leave Hopoate in ISP.

I think hoppa could be a weapon at left centre, but yeah he and whoever outside of him would need to be well drilled in defence. His strengths will be better utilised on the left. I think unless we sign a left centre Hoppa will be at left centre, with Meaney at the back.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think hoppa could be a weapon at left centre, but yeah he and whoever outside of him would need to be well drilled in defence. His strengths will be better utilised on the left. I think unless we sign a left centre Hoppa will be at left centre, with Meaney at the back.
Hoppa proved on several occasions he is not a right centre... I very much doubt he will be any better on the left... hes either FB or wing in my opinion.... considering his strong carries out of our half, I would lock him in for a wing spot in my opinion and rotate him throughout the game with meaney at F/B

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoppa needs to be in the backline somewhere for his experience alone. I think he will be given another chance at centre alongside Crichton who is a sound defender on the wing.

Last edited:

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hoppa will be there totally agree. He's to valuable to leave out. Impressed me alot last season to what I was expecting.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

The Terrorgraph...Good-one Mr I :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let's be honest, except for the starting 17 the report is spot on...They must be taking their medication at The Telecrap :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our team looks shit to be honest. If Klemmer goes we are truly screwed.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa will start at fullback and Meaney on the wing and eventually during the later stages of the game they will swap. expect this for the first 12 rounds and depending on results you may see Meaney move to FB permanently.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hoppa has been around for ages and still hasn't nailed down a position. His lack of acceleration and agility is just a massive liability in the backline and it's holding him back. Definitely needs to drop some weight imo.

He will probably play centre just because we have no one else, but personally i think he's best suited on the wing right now. Playing him at fullback fulltime is just a waste of everyones time.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hoppa has more creativity than our halves

I think centre/wing and obviously cover for Meaney