Bulldogs in Crisis (Worst period in History)

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wishful thinking but it can turn around quick - 1.the roster is weak and hopefully more than just those who are off contract can be moved on and quality, if not superstars signed. Secondly the coaching including fitness n strength can only improve - maybe some of those struggling with the intensity n speed of first grade will improve with an improved coaching regime.
The attack will improve by not having Tolman continuously "getting in the way" - i use to admire him for his work ethic but now i view his on field presence particularly with the ball as selfish - reminds me of Gallen, Bird at their worse and junior players ie under 12s who think the game is an individual sport.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Not doing any damage in 2003 made 2002 much easier. Yes we were the best side in 2002 (and weren't in 2003), but it wasn't a given that we would have won the comp that year.
Of course nothing is a given until it happens which is why I said ‘most likely’. To have 2002 ripped away was gutting. Yes, 2003 was different. Thankfully there was redemption in 2004, after the extra salt in the wound of Coffs Harbour beyond 2002.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is pretty optimistic given we have been probably the most frustrating and/or inept team in the comp since approx 2016 give or take. It's been about 5 years of steaming piles of shit being served up by grown men being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to serve up inconsistent and half hearted performances.
Its the same as success where you build up to it over a few years and 5yrs is close to the mark when you reach your peak and stay there for a few years after that.

It also goes for failure. You don't get there overnight, that takes years until you hit rock bottom and like you say we have been that 'inept' team and club for that period.

Dad, sorry Dawgfather lol we'll be on the way up from next year and I know that because even this year we can compete with most teams with our inept team like we have shown but we lack the class ie, Jack Wighton's etc so we are only 3-4 decent players away from being a force again. And that is happening as we speak, how? Because we have the cash to spend and player managers entice their players to chase the money so the topline players available will be there for the taking.

Barrett will ensure we rise again. He has too good a footy knowledge head not to be successful and has learn't his trade. We are getting him at the best time of his coaching career.

Optimistic, bloody oath!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Now I live in Brisbane. I think the Bulldogs should become the 2nd Brisbane team. Brisbane Bulldogs. Nice ring to it. Sack all the players and start again.
Yeah, nah.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Spot on mate - I was gutted - followed soon after by Coffs Harbour (where nothing was proven but mud sticks). I can’t tell you how often as a proud Dogs man I was called a ‘cheat’ and ‘rapist’. Only due to the 2004 title was some of that erased. Even 2008 was worse for me - watching one of our brightest hopes who’d been nurtured by the club and signed a 5 year deal walk out in the middle of the night as a coward does just to chase money under the influence of other grubs. At least our current team put the effort in. Yes, they aren’t good enough, they aren’t fit enough but that will change. I’d bet none of them would jump on the red-eye to France either.
Oh mate... stirred up some terrible memories there... although our last home game against Brisbane in 2002 was pretty epic I remember everyone stormed the field afterwards. 2004 nothing beats the GF win and when Sonny ripped our hearts out I think the pain was short term we bounced back well in 2009. T Baz won’t go into 2021 just hoping for the best. He would have a plan in the background.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Oh mate... stirred up some terrible memories there... although our last home game against Brisbane in 2002 was pretty epic I remember everyone stormed the field afterwards. 2004 nothing beats the GF win and when Sonny ripped our hearts out I think the pain was short term we bounced back well in 2009. T Baz won’t go into 2021 just hoping for the best. He would have a plan in the background.
Sorry mate, didn’t mean to mention the war :-). I agree - Baz would’ve been watching last night and every game since he signed. He’ll hit the ground running in November and before then we’ll know how the remaining 7 spots will be finalised (who’s going / arriving - will be interesting to watch). I’ll be far more excited for 2021 then I was 2020.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Its the same as success where you build up to it over a few years and 5yrs is close to the mark when you reach your peak and stay there for a few years after that.

It also goes for failure. You don't get there overnight, that takes years until you hit rock bottom and like you say we have been that 'inept' team and club for that period.

Dad, sorry Dawgfather lol we'll be on the way up from next year and I know that because even this year we can compete with most teams with our inept team like we have shown but we lack the class ie, Jack Wighton's etc so we are only 3-4 decent players away from being a force again. And that is happening as we speak, how? Because we have the cash to spend and player managers entice their players to chase the money so the topline players available will be there for the taking.

Barrett will ensure we rise again. He has too good a footy knowledge head not to be successful and has learn't his trade. We are getting him at the best time of his coaching career.

Optimistic, bloody oath!
Dad? haha I think you're making some incorrect assumptions about age :p

You may be right, but as far as I can tell your optimism isn't based on anything concrete. Just a vague hope that we can buy our way out of trouble.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dad? haha I think you're making some incorrect assumptions about age

You may be right, but as far as I can tell your optimism isn't based on anything concrete. Just a vague hope that we can buy our way out of trouble.
Just the name mate for a laugh. I've been crying all year lol

Suppose you have to spend money to succeed along with developing players. The latter is in the works giving players experience while we are still shopping. That's part of the game in sport. You need the cattle to win premierships

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yup 2008 we got flogged week in week out
99 I’d argue ain’t as bad as this lot
99 was ok, didn't we make the finals in 5th spot or something. We weren't too bad that year.
2000 was a disaster

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I havnt seen a worse period in my time supporting the Dogs. Four years on the trot with no finals, and next year building with a new coach so no guarantee we make finals.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Just the name mate for a laugh. I've been crying all year lol

Suppose you have to spend money to succeed along with developing players. The latter is in the works giving players experience while we are still shopping. That's part of the game in sport. You need the cattle to win premierships
All good - we are all struggling through another crap season. Laughter is all we have left.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2008?????? we won 5 games in 2008 how can that be worse that this year?? I think some of you are losing your memory in your old age hahaha

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been watching the dogs for 37 years and by far this is the worst dogs team I have ever seen. By far.
I've been following them since I was a kid in the 1950s. We've had a few wooden spoons, but this is the worst side I can recall.
In the past, there was still some pride when they ran out on the field.
Back in the 50s and 60s they were paid a basic appearance fee; and the real money for a win. We need that incentive again.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It really is a shit period and there is absolutely no question about that. Funny thing is our heart as Bulldogs is not what has let us down as we have rarely been flogged by giving up like the Broncos are at the moment. As a club its all the other variables that are hurting us, poor roster, no leadership on field, questionable recruitment, sub standard coaching staff and to this point, no known plan for the way ahead. At least not one the club wish to share with their long suffering and confused members and supporters..

We have lurched from one publicity shitfight to another without any let up in the last decade or so and even when we have some good news like signing Cotric, Thompson and the Laundy's, its soon forgotten in the rehashing of Okunbor/CHN or this latest allegation against the Leagues Club boss.

No finals for 4 years and most likely the spoon this year and based on our ability to only sign another old hack for the halves to compliment the already Kennel agreed too early or no talent halves we have now, will 2021 be 5 years no finals?? .

And now if you buy in to the latest commentary on the Kennel we are now only in position to start fixing the roster in 2021 with 2022 to be the year we are finally competitive again..? Can someone please explain when this extra year got added and why, or do I need to go and dig up the many posts by many "in the know" on here saying multiple times that the club said we WILL be competitive in 2021?

P.S is the June 30 signing date extended again or has that come and gone again? There are plenty of members on here that stated they would only pass judgment on the club and its direction if we were not firing again in 2021 and if we had failed to recruit some top players especially in the spine.

So... we are they?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
And now if you buy in to the latest commentary on the Kennel we are now only in position to start fixing the roster in 2021 with 2022 to be the year we are finally competitive again..? Can someone please explain when this extra year got added and why, or do I need to go and dig up the many posts by many "in the know" on here saying multiple times that the club said we WILL be competitive in 2021?

P.S is the June 30 signing date extended again or has that come and gone again? There are plenty of members on here that stated they would only pass judgment on the club and its direction if we were not firing again in 2021 and if we had failed to recruit some top players especially in the spine.

So... we are they?
I’m here Baz and would never shy away from my position. There’s still 7 spots available for ‘21 and I think we’ll be competitive in filling in some of those (despite a fairly thin available talent pool) and new coaching staff. I never said we’d give the title a tilt in ‘21 but we’ll be better - and hopefully with those two things push to play finals footy next year. ‘21 was all about being the first season with the cap repaired - it’s not adding a year, it’s part of the process to really give the title a shake hopefully by ‘22/23.

Where I said I’d pass judgement ie: on the board - that was in 2021 - to see how things were faring as the next election got closer. I stand by that for the reasons above, securing the Laundy and Mounties relationships and work they will do for 2022 starting this November.

And the transfer window closed on 3 August to answer your other question.