News Bulldogs eye huge DWZ-Leilua swap

FZ1-S

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My son supports the Tigers and I give him shit about BJ every week, If he ends up at the Dogs I will never live it down. Shurley a club with money to spend can do better than BJ Leilua and It doesn't matter how you slice and dice it, this guy is shit!!

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son supports the Tigers and I give him shit about BJ every week, If he ends up at the Dogs I will never live it down. Shurley a club with money to spend can do better than BJ Leilua and It doesn't matter how you slice and dice it, this guy is shit!!
I dont want him either but if it means freeing up some of DWZ's salary for next year then the club will look at it.

The tigers may need to free up a roster spot to get DWZ over this year so they need to release a player. Its a bit like they scratch our back and we scratch their back

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not if bj is here for 2022

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm afraid you deserve it mate. Your son goes for Tigers! You haven't done a good enough job in brainwashing him :grinning:

Steve Bos

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I dont want him either but if it means freeing up some of DWZ's salary for next year then the club will look at it.

The tigers may need to free up a roster spot to get DWZ over this year so they need to release a player. Its a bit like they scratch our back and we scratch their back
Finally that makes some sense. We take on BJ just to free up a roster spot for Tigers to take DWZ. We don’t extend BJ. If that’s the case and we get off half of DWZ’s contract next year then I would be happy with that.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So if DWZ on 800k next year we pay Tigers 400k to take him.

We have 400k free but must replace him with a winger (Okenbor?) at 150k-200k.

We have 200-250k left to use on a forward.?

So we are doing all this for 200k-250k.
I guess it makes sense for extra funds for an x player like Smith or a frontrower.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If we are stupid enough to swap DWZ and Leilua and still pay some of DWZs salary, then I would have to question my loyalty... I would lose total faith in management.
I actually have no problem paying some of DWZ salary for next season if he is on $800k next season say we pay $300k to get him off the books we can still do something with the $500k that get's freed up.

If however the club signs BJ Leilua I'm done for this season at least. I cannot stand the fat shit.

European Champship starts this weekend then the Olympics so Imay be able to get by.

Fucking BJ Leilua, king of the dickheads...how we have fallen.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score

I guess it makes sense for extra funds for an x player like Smith or a frontrower.
Think it a more like this mate.

We have about 500k now to spend according to some. That’s to cover burton now if he was released. He isn’t.

Dwz goes. Both him and Bj are basically paid by their clubs this year already.

Next year if Dwz is on 800k tigers might be saying we have to pay 400k.

That 500k for burton now is there to pay in advance to allow Dwz the 400k owed from this years cap as burton isn’t coming.

We don’t take bjs deal for next year as it’s reported a club option.

Therefor we eat shit this year to the tune of 400k and take bj to make a roster space and in 2022 we are 800k clear of Dwz.

Would make sense if we got dufty with 500k there. Otherwise allen/Jac will be fullback.

Jac cotric and maybe okonbor for wings if he’s kept

Naden centre’s Allen

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it's the difference between a top shelf hooker or prop & what we are currently dealing with (excel Thommo), then I am ok as well.
Just don't want BJ to don the blue & white..ever!!
Straight to mounties should the swap occur!

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ppl talking about the swap will free up cap space. But if we are getting a decent winger/ctr next year to replace dwz, probably it will cost us 300k/400k. And if we are paying half of dwz salary on top of that, how are we making room in the cap?
Even if we have good cheap juniors to fill the spot, we save money by sacrificing experience, right?

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's the difference between a top shelf hooker or prop & what we are currently dealing with (excel Thommo), then I am ok as well.
Just don't want BJ to don the blue & white..ever!!
Straight to mounties should the swap occur!
exactly if BJ ever puts the blue and white on it would be a disgrace. the flog has the most hated face in the NRL, he cant tackle and has more brain explosions than Elliott/ DWZ/Waddell combined. Just stay away from him

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wait. This actually might be serious?

Doesn't make sense in the slightest or am I missing something? Had a chance to bring him here, steered well away from him. But, we're going to to back and try and get him when he's not even making the 1st team for the Tigers? And we've been talking about no quick fixes?

Can't be serious this. Just doesn't make sense to me.
No more rejects...but I could see the benefits in this !
We get DWZ off our books ( $800k )
Instead of paying a big chunk of his contract next season we get Leilua off the Tigpies books but at what cost ???
A fit Leilua off the bench could be a strike weapon !

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The club should've just signed fucking Momo like I said during preseason ffs. What a circus.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Ppl talking about the swap will free up cap space. But if we are getting a decent winger/ctr next year to replace dwz, probably it will cost us 300k/400k. And if we are paying half of dwz salary on top of that, how are we making room in the cap?
Even if we have good cheap juniors to fill the spot, we save money by sacrificing experience, right?
Read my post above

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
BJ has been named as an edge forward in NSW Cup this week. Probably more suited to that role now, but still don't want him.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only way this makes sense is if bj is off contract end of this year and we don’t have Dwz cap on the books next year. We could use Burton’s money we have now to pay Dwz half his contract for next year so we are completely free of this debt next year (that’s assuming Dwz is on 800k next year and bj is 300-400k)

Did I read bj is still contracted next year ? If so fuck no.

It appears as though he is contract until 2022.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep for sure.

But like I said all clubs do it. I think the last board said we would never do it again because we were paying freight on Woods, Klemmer and Mbye. Fans were pissed at that so they used that to get elected.

Its fanciful to think that we wont do it in future and it just wont happen. If the club uses that stance then you can never get out of a bad deal. We have Hetho and Flanagan playing for us this year with other clubs picking up their freight.

I definitely agree though that we need to be more careful because shitty overpaid contracts got us into this mess
How were we paying freight on Klemmer? It was he who wanted to leave us.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No more rejects...but I could see the benefits in this !
We get DWZ off our books ( $800k )
Instead of paying a big chunk of his contract next season we get Leilua off the Tigpies books but at what cost ???
A fit Leilua off the bench could be a strike weapon !
He’s had 10 seasons to get fit. The right attitude just isn’t there