News Bulldogs eye huge DWZ-Leilua swap

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s an article on DT saying this swap is “gaining momentum”. Please god no. I’d honestly lose my shit if they swap DWZ for BJ. Deadset. Can anyone post it?

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL transfer news: Wests Tigers-Bulldogs Joey Leilua, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak player swap

A high-profile mid-season transfer swap between Wests Tigers and Canterbury is gaining serious momentum as Joey Leilua tries to reinvent his career.

Joey Leilua will move to second row for Western Suburbs this weekend in a positional switch that could possibly open the door for a mid-season transfer to an NRL rival.

The enigmatic centre is under contract until the end of 2022 but has been discussed as a potential makeweight in a player swap for Canterbury fullback Dallin Watene-Zelezniak.

Negotiations between the two clubs are still ongoing and a clearer picture is expected to emerge by next week as Wests Tigers close in on the Kiwi Test skipper, but if Leilua can make a good fist of his move to the back row his versatility could make him a more attractive prospect for the Bulldogs.

After bouncing between first grade and NSW Cup for much of the season as a centre, Leilua will line up at second row for Sunday’s clash with Parramatta, the first time he’s played in the forwards since 2010.

Joey Leilua will shift to the backrow for Western Suburbs. Picture: Shane Myers/NRL Photos

Joey Leilua will shift to the backrow for Western Suburbs. Picture: Shane Myers/NRL Photos

While Leilua has endured an inconsistent season he’s still a dynamic attacking player on his day and his ability to break tackles and offload could be just what the blue and whites need given their attacking struggles so far in 2021.

Leilua has two tries in seven NRL matches this season as well as two try assists, two line breaks and 16 tackle busts.

His form in reserve grade has been stronger with two tries, four try assists and three line breaks from four matches.

The former Raider is a two-time Dally M centre of the year indicated earlier this season he was keen to move to the forwards in an effort to reinvent his career.

“I played my juniors in the back row and would love a return there sometime,” Leilua told The Daily Telegraph’s Dean Ritchie.
“It’s up to my coach where I play and I have found a home in the centres but reckon I could benefit from a change of position at this time of my career.

“I like to get the ball in the hands and keep busy on the field. I like being in the action.
“I handled back row well as a young bloke and reckon I could succeed there again. I’m only 29 so I could adapt back fairly easily.”
Reece Hoffman, a highly-rated prospect who made his NRL debut last season, and Fetalaiga Pauga will be preferred at centre.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak could be on his way to the Tigers. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak could be on his way to the Tigers. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty

The Magpies will have a point to prove against the Eels after they were belted 40-14 by Penrith in last week’s top of the table clash at Lidcombe Oval.

It was Wests first loss since March and they’ll have their hands full against the third-placed Eels, who will once again boast the services of former Origin flyer Blake Ferguson on the right wing.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There’s an article on DT saying this swap is “gaining momentum”. Please god no. I’d honestly lose my shit if they swap DWZ for BJ. Deadset. Can anyone post it?
If it meant we could get B Smith, would you be ok with the swap?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Joey defending in the second row? Hmmmm

Big Owl

Waterboy
Reaction score
I wouldn’t complain if he was to take Adam Idiot’s spot in the 2nd row for the remainder of the season. Plus the bonus of finally getting rid of DWZ. It’s win on many levels.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wait. This actually might be serious?

Doesn't make sense in the slightest or am I missing something? Had a chance to bring him here, steered well away from him. But, we're going to to back and try and get him when he's not even making the 1st team for the Tigers? And we've been talking about no quick fixes?

Can't be serious this. Just doesn't make sense to me.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wait. This actually might be serious?

Doesn't make sense in the slightest or am I missing something? Had a chance to bring him here, steered well away from him. But, we're going to to back and try and get him when he's not even making the 1st team for the Tigers? And we've been talking about no quick fixes?

Can't be serious this. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Well the theory is we pick up Leilua's salary for the remainder for 2021 (99% chance don't re-sign him) and the Tigers pick up DWZ's salary for the remainder of 2021, 2022 and possibly an extension. I personally don't like it still (assuming we're chipping in for DWZ).

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
its easier than defending at centre.
Don't think it matters, Joey is an awful defender and it just means there's going to be issues further infield when he makes a poor read. Also more traffic to fatigue him = more Joey brain explosions lol. Honestly can't see how this works out..

Big Owl

Waterboy
Reaction score
Don't think it matters, Joey is an awful defender and it just means there's going to be issues further infield when he makes a poor read. Also more traffic to fatigue him = more Joey brain explosions lol. Honestly can't see how this works out..
It’s more about getting rid of DWZ next season. This year’s a right off anyway.

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It was all about the money nothing to do with the club.
The club said no to his asking price 800_900k as easy as that,he thinks he"s worth that coin and cant play 80 min and the club doesn't end of story

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s more about getting rid of DWZ next season. This year’s a right off anyway.
It's a shit swap and although overpaid he has been alright, better player than the has been mooted to come here that's for sure.
Why the fuck would we want another potential slug forward tell 'em to far cough...

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
NRL transfer news: Wests Tigers-Bulldogs Joey Leilua, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak player swap

A high-profile mid-season transfer swap between Wests Tigers and Canterbury is gaining serious momentum as Joey Leilua tries to reinvent his career.

Joey Leilua will move to second row for Western Suburbs this weekend in a positional switch that could possibly open the door for a mid-season transfer to an NRL rival.

The enigmatic centre is under contract until the end of 2022 but has been discussed as a potential makeweight in a player swap for Canterbury fullback Dallin Watene-Zelezniak.

Negotiations between the two clubs are still ongoing and a clearer picture is expected to emerge by next week as Wests Tigers close in on the Kiwi Test skipper, but if Leilua can make a good fist of his move to the back row his versatility could make him a more attractive prospect for the Bulldogs.

After bouncing between first grade and NSW Cup for much of the season as a centre, Leilua will line up at second row for Sunday’s clash with Parramatta, the first time he’s played in the forwards since 2010.

While Leilua has endured an inconsistent season he’s still a dynamic attacking player on his day and his ability to break tackles and offload could be just what the blue and whites need given their attacking struggles so far in 2021.

Leilua has two tries in seven NRL matches this season as well as two try assists, two line breaks and 16 tackle busts.

His form in reserve grade has been stronger with two tries, four try assists and three line breaks from four matches.

The former Raider is a two-time Dally M centre of the year indicated earlier this season he was keen to move to the forwards in an effort to reinvent his career.

“I played my juniors in the back row and would love a return there sometime,” Leilua told The Daily Telegraph’s Dean Ritchie.
“It’s up to my coach where I play and I have found a home in the centres but reckon I could benefit from a change of position at this time of my career.

“I like to get the ball in the hands and keep busy on the field. I like being in the action.
“I handled back row well as a young bloke and reckon I could succeed there again. I’m only 29 so I could adapt back fairly easily.”
Reece Hoffman, a highly-rated prospect who made his NRL debut last season, and Fetalaiga Pauga will be preferred at centre.

The Magpies will have a point to prove against the Eels after they were belted 40-14 by Penrith in last week’s top of the table clash at Lidcombe Oval.

It was Wests first loss since March and they’ll have their hands full against the third-placed Eels, who will once again boast the services of former Origin flyer Blake Ferguson on the right wing.
Just fucking kill me now pls

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd do it if it was a deal where they would swap immediately and we take over his current contract with no extension promised & Tiger's take care of DWZ contract in full.

So, BJs contract ends this year & we've lost nothing

And Tiger's pay DWZ in full for next year and cough up the & 800k and we can spend it on which ever type of Cheese we want.

Steve Bos

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I doubt he would play in the second row for us.

You would assume that, as a part of the swap, that BJ will pick up his player option for next year (whatever that amount is).

At first I was a hard no on this but am starting to come around a bit. We literally have no centres on the roster for next year except for Naden (Alomoti is still a year and a bit away).

Given our attacking struggles it makes
Sense to make a play for Leilua and Shaun Johnson. They have points in them and we need points! I think that even Barrett has realised that you need to bridge with your recruitment (ie. Leilua is just a bridge for Alomoti). Again we also have no centres so swapping DWZ for Leilua would also balance the roster.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I doubt he would play in the second row for us.

You would assume that, as a part of the swap, that BJ will pick up his player option for next year (whatever that amount is).

At first I was a hard no on this but am starting to come around a bit. We literally have no centres on the roster for next year except for Naden (Alomoti is still a year and a bit away).

Given our attacking struggles it makes
Sense to make a play for Leilua and Shaun Johnson. They have points in them and we need points! I think that even Barrett has realised that you need to bridge with your recruitment (ie. Leilua is just a bridge for Alomoti). Again we also have no centres so swapping DWZ for Leilua would also balance the roster.
He doesn't have a player option, it's a club option (which won't be taken up obviously).