Opinion Bulldogs Drive for 25 !

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our genius admin knocked his approaches TWICE, pre and post Des.
My own most famous quote ever, it's still ringing in my ears:

We asked Dib "Why not Bennet?, Why go for Kevin Moore, who's Kevin Moore?"

The reply..."Who's Neil Henry?"

So he was trying to say that Neil Henry was a rookie and an unknown and was doing well at the raiders, so why can't Moore.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think most of us like Pele, It’s Ciro who seems to have an issue with him. He’s on my bench every day of the week… I’m ok with him churning out 2x 20min spells running off the back fence.

McLean, Greig and Blacker would be nice pick ups… even Tepai Moeroa would do a job.
I think we all like the thought of Pele hitting out 2 x 20 min spells running off the back fence like Spencer Leniu but unfortunately reality is he is sucking in the big ones after 2 hitups which leaves him vulnerable in defence, and he looks pretty much spent after 5 mins. Can't blame CC for not picking him if that's all he can contribute.

Imagine if he was on the bench and we had a couple of injuries or a send off and he had to pump out 50-60 mins, it would be a disaster

I don't know if genetically he can't get his aerobic fitness to the required level, or if he just doesn't have the desire to push his limits but either way it's a huge disappointment

I was really hoping he would make a huge impact for us this year but sadly not

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we all like the thought of Pele hitting out 2 x 20 min spells running off the back fence like Spencer Leniu but unfortunately reality is he is sucking in the big ones after 2 hitups which leaves him vulnerable in defence, and he looks pretty much spent after 5 mins. Can't blame CC for not picking him if that's all he can contribute.

Imagine if he was on the bench and we had a couple of injuries or a send off and he had to pump out 50-60 mins, it would be a disaster

I don't know if genetically he can't get his aerobic fitness to the required level, or if he just doesn't have the desire to push his limits but either way it's a huge disappointment

I was really hoping he would make a huge impact for us this year but sadly not
There has been a lot of discussion about what Pele can or can't do during a game, but what can he do in training? Maybe he is shot in training after 10 minutes and that has been the case since he arrived. Hence the "ship him off to ESL" decision. We only see him in game time, our High Performance Team see him for 40+ hours a week every week.

Always a Bulldog

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No ... No ... No .... No, I don't for 1 second believe that 2024 recruiting is remotely close to being resolved.

There is plenty of water to flow under that bridge in the 7 months until March.

Always a Bulldogs
I like your optimison, but I don't think that to many good players are liely to break their contract to go to a club which is likely to get the spoon.
I do believe however that Gus will find 1 or 2, 2nd teir players.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
By 2024 I can't see Burto remaining at 6...unless he magically comes good. FB out of the question too.

Centre (or Lock is his long term future if he can learn to tackle).

Absolutely terrible how his career has faltered here. Depressing.
Well, having a crap ass halfback and forward pack along with coping bad ref decisions doesn't help his cause. Also, who would you replace him with?

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My own most famous quote ever, it's still ringing in my ears:

We asked Dib "Why not Bennet?, Why go for Kevin Moore, who's Kevin Moore?"

The reply..."Who's Neil Henry?"

So he was trying to say that Neil Henry was a rookie and an unknown and was doing well at the raiders, so why can't Moore.
Yeap and people want dib back. [emoji23][emoji23]

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I'd give for a Cam McInnes or Rueben Cotter at 13....players that give everything

I'm hoping Preston can be that type of player for us
I don’t get why Kurtis Morrin can’t be that player …

With a huge pre season fitness wise and some extra attention in defence and training I think he could be a gun 13 for us, he’s a goer … problem is we’ve changed 13 practically on a weekly basis, no cohesion or trust ..

We can’t put a player into a position for a game or 2, say oh he’s no good, kick him out and try someone new.

The player needs to be pulled a side, ran through what they did right, what they did wrong and then coach and player work on the weaknesses every day … give him more game time see if the extra coaching is working rinse and repeat and continue improving every week …

This is what the Storm do so well, improve players on an individual level.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
2023 is finished
24 won't be much more..
Lets go for 2025 signings with my picks as below
2RWRS - BRENDAN PIAKURA COEN HESS
PROPS - LINDSAY SMITH AARON PENE & JAMAYNE TAUNOA-BROWN
Add this to Max King , Kiks and Presto and I'm seeing a good season with Harrison Edwards Liam Knight and SST as depth.

Surely we have some money coming back in the Cap to build a nucleus of a strong Pack that works hard and won't take a backward step.

Then to cap of the "Drive for 25" We sign Adam Reynolds to steer the ship.

Check out this line-up

1. Taffe
2. J.Addo - Carr (Skelton)
3. B. Xerri
4. S Crichton
5 B.Wilson (Kiraz)
6 M.Burton
7 A.Reynolds
10 L.Smith
9 R.Mahoney
8 A. Pene
11. V.Kikau
12. C.Hess
13. Preston

14. J.Salmon
15. B.Piakura
16 J.Taunoa- Brown
17. L. Knight
Piakura signed to join the Titans next year.

Pene, Hess & JTB are not going to make our team better. Pass on all 3.

Reynolds will be 35 in 2025 so pass.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well, having a crap ass halfback and forward pack along with coping bad ref decisions doesn't help his cause. Also, who would you replace him with?
Would have to find someone. He j6st isn't producing the goods atm I'm afraid.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Piakura signed to join the Titans next year.

Pene, Hess & JTB are not going to make our team better. Pass on all 3.

Reynolds will be 35 in 2025 so pass.
Thank you for the update on Piakura. I see a great signing for the Titans with Tino and David also locked in .
Why do you not rate the other 3 players?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thank you for the update on Piakura. I see a great signing for the Titans with Tino and David also locked in .
Palasia off to Titan, I don't think Piakura is, another year to run on Bronco contract

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By 2024 I can't see Burto remaining at 6...unless he magically comes good. FB out of the question too.

Centre (or Lock is his long term future if he can learn to tackle).

Absolutely terrible how his career has faltered here. Depressing.
Centre for me Wendy. Always was and always will be.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t get why Kurtis Morrin can’t be that player …

With a huge pre season fitness wise and some extra attention in defence and training I think he could be a gun 13 for us, he’s a goer … problem is we’ve changed 13 practically on a weekly basis, no cohesion or trust ..

We can’t put a player into a position for a game or 2, say oh he’s no good, kick him out and try someone new.

The player needs to be pulled a side, ran through what they did right, what they did wrong and then coach and player work on the weaknesses every day … give him more game time see if the extra coaching is working rinse and repeat and continue improving every week …

This is what the Storm do so well, improve players on an individual level.
I'd be more than happy if Morrin developed into that player

I think Preston's strength is his defence and if we happened to pick up another 2nd rower (eg Riki), I could see Preston in the 13 role which would really strengthen our defence in the middle

Either way, hopefully we can strengthen that position from within

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You're welcome.

Because they're not better than what we have. We need rep level forwards.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How big is Morrin? Never seen any listed measurements but he looks quite short and nuggety

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Centre for me Wendy. Always was and always will be.
Which is why any scout is only as good as how good any scouted player becomes.
Gould at Penrith was adamant Burton was going to be a gun half.
Yet Barrett saw Luai as the long term half to partner Cleary, so developed their combination. Whether it was something Gould saw in Burton at training or simply because he was by reports a gun 5/8 or FB coming through the juniors, that Gould decided he was the man we needed to build a team around.
Yes Burto has had some good names, notably kicking for JAC to score, he himself taking the line on or kicking an angled field goal, but he's hardly had any try assists compared to other halves.
His lack of progress is certainly a worry. He played enough FG games at Penrith, as a centre, to understand the role of a 5/8 first hand, and now we have Sexton, that takes all that pressure off him to steer the team around, but seriously, can anyone ever recall him receiving a ball, digging into the line like DCE or Johnson or Reynolds or Brown, pulling defenders to him and releasing a 2nd rower or centre, I sure can't.
Is it fair to say that his lack of progress has infact put us back 3 or 4 years, as we still struggle to mount consistently serious attacking raids.
He will be given at least another year. Goulds reputation as a scout though is coming under serious scrutiny. Is it fear by Gould that Burton isn't a 5/8, nor is Crighton a FB, they are both centres, that is behind Goulds pursuit of Taffe?
Burton is a big body. He could be a better tackler, his boot is enormous, but it's the deft art of digging into the line, straightening the attack to pick up runners that he has to work hard on. SOS to a top notch half.......Shifty, Cronk, Thurston, Johns? If he can't pick it up, it's actually not that surprising considering only 20% of good graded juniors ever make it to NRL level.
If not 5/8, then we try him at 13. He costs too much to be a big left centre.