Opinion Bulldogs Drive for 25 !

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
SEASON 2024 recruitment is pretty much resolved with signings don't you think ? We would be talking about them joinng already hence my opinion of targeting 2025 with Nov 1 fast approaching.
Even if we don't get all the proposed cattle in my post it's indeed an opportunity to review our current state vs potential targets.

Kennel members I look forward to your comments on who you would like the club to pursue and yes more 2nd rowers are needed if this year clearly shows the lack of depth.
Kiks and Preston can't be the only 2 for the club. Injuries suspensions happen all the time.
Halfback options (very little in the market)
A Reynolds is my 1st choice for #7 but I wouldn't be unhappy if we pursued Dearden at the Cows with his contract expiring.
In fact there is a number of options to improve our roster but most comments we see on the forum these days seem to be more negative towards anyone with an opinion on their team which is a sad state in itself.

If you have nothing constructive or serious to contribute then I can only hope you do enjoy watching the ongoing progress of our Bulldogs Juniors who will i might add be needing winning leaders and mentors as they come into NSW Cup and NRL in the future.
Past Bulldogs never stopped working hard or accepting mediocre performances which unfortunately a large portion of players and supporting crew have shown to date they are up to the task.
We have enough Juniors in the nursery to suggest opportunities will come in time.

What I fail to see is how they will receive the same lessons and have to work to the excellent standards set that earlier kids like Roy,Reni and JT had to aspire to for example.

2025 drive is a pipe dream indeed perhaps but it's never stopped me to believe and search for a better solution during my 40 + years in business..

I have always challenged any established group to Be better ! and think beyond what's possible.

If we release a number of the players in the next few months reportedly going, we need to be aggressive and show the market that we are not going to sit in the corner and wait for a miracle to land in our progress from bottom dwellers to a potential top 10 team again. 2023 done and 2024 look very much decided with managers and clubs. Hence this post !

Bulldogs for life!

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
2023 is finished
24 won't be much more..
Lets go for 2025 signings with my picks as below
2RWRS - BRENDAN PIAKURA COEN HESS
PROPS - LINDSAY SMITH AARON PENE & JAMAYNE TAUNOA-BROWN
Add this to Max King , Kiks and Presto and I'm seeing a good season with Harrison Edwards Liam Knight and SST as depth.

Surely we have some money coming back in the Cap to build a nucleus of a strong Pack that works hard and won't take a backward step.

Then to cap of the "Drive for 25" We sign Adam Reynolds to steer the ship.

Check out this line-up

1. Taffe
2. J.Addo - Carr (Skelton)
3. B. Xerri
4. S Crichton
5 B.Wilson (Kiraz)
6 M.Burton
7 A.Reynolds
10 L.Smith
9 R.Mahoney
8 A. Pene
11. V.Kikau
12. C.Hess
13. Preston

14. J.Salmon
15. B.Piakura
16 J.Taunoa- Brown
17. L. Knight
I'm pretty sure Phil can go out and poach a big name prop, Adam fonua blake with a sensational contract to come home early in my opinion should be poached, another is Fisher Harris, Penrith need cap space for Luai so why not, A big bopper needs to be paid overs

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Phil can go out and poach a big name prop, Adam fonua blake with a sensational contract to come home early in my opinion should be poached, another is Fisher Harris, Penrith need cap space for Luai so why not, A big bopper needs to be paid overs
The chances of us scoring either of those 2 props are about the same as you scoring with Margot Robbie …

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon the Titans may have put some pressure on themselves with the new big contracts for Tino & Fifita.

In saying that, this fellow is able to negotiate from November 1st for 2025, but if the need cap relief then go hard for him for next year -

He is still only 23.
1692189602103.png

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon the Titans may have put some pressure on themselves with the new big contracts for Tino & Fifita.

In saying that, this fellow is able to negotiate from November 1st for 2025, but if the need cap relief then go hard for him for next year -

He is still only 23.
View attachment 79472
Can he come over this week lol

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We All know we need Middles for next season, these guys are available for 2024.

I reckon we will end up with Jordan McLean, just like when Gus bought 2 older experienced props to Penrith in Civoneciva & Tamou.
1692189842077.png
1692189996289.png
1692190068635.png
1692190193574.png
1692190698839.png

Last edited:

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bennett's off contract 2025

Just saying... :tearsofjoy:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think it's how the majority of bulldogs fans are feeling right now, the last several years under Baz and now Ciraldo, it seems for every step forward we take, we take 2 steps back.
That's why we can't keep changing coaches and players.
Sure
We do need to recruit better players when we can snag them and let go the dead wood,
But if you listen to Gus, he is being honest.
It is going to take time to build a competitive team.
We have to bide our time if we want future success
Otherwise we just going to keep going backwards.

I do agree with what Gus is doing.
And I do think CC is the right coach moving forward.
He is struggling a bit right now, but so would anyone.

I'd be more frustrated if we were still coping and changing coaches.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
SEASON 2024 recruitment is pretty much resolved with signings don't you think ?
No ... No ... No .... No, I don't for 1 second believe that 2024 recruiting is remotely close to being resolved.

There is plenty of water to flow under that bridge in the 7 months until March.

Always a Bulldogs

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That's why we can't keep changing coaches and players.
Sure
We do need to recruit better players when we can snag them and let go the dead wood,
But if you listen to Gus, he is being honest.
It is going to take time to build a competitive team.
We have to bide our time if we want future success
Otherwise we just going to keep going backwards.

I do agree with what Gus is doing.
And I do think CC is the right coach moving forward.
He is struggling a bit right now, but so would anyone.

I'd be more frustrated if we were still coping and changing coaches.
I concur here sir with regards to patience and willing to follow the direction set by Gus for the club to return to the top of the league again. The market is very small in terms of opportunities with the the top 8 clubs commanding most of the pool talent on contract regardless of the Cap restraints. Players are looking to stay at teams where they see opportunities for premierships and representative selection.
Here I name Penrith, Brisbane, South Sydney, Melbourne, Parramatta, Cronulla, New Zealand, Roosters and North Queensland.

Mid table teams like Newcastle Manly, Gold Coast,Canberra & Dolphins are building their rosters.

That leaves the Dragons, Dogs and Tigers to scramble for players who are not getting a look in the top 30 at other clubs. Winning culture developed and working class utilities we have gained in Salmon and Taffe. Where do we see signing Marquee PROPS or any Forwards is another debate unfortunately.

Player managers will position players where they see fit if the dollars make sense no doubt but I don't see our club going down the path of paying overs again given what's transpired with Thompson, TPJ and Flanagan over the past couple of seasons. Even prior to this lot we had Cotric, Foran, Woods, Williams to name a few that came here on massive overs. .
Again I want to see 2024 improve and some signings but I'm not convinced managers will be steering them here as destination.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd honestly like to know we're chasing players that are too good for reserve grade but who haven't shown enough in the NRL to cement a spot over incumbents at stacked clubs.

It's pretty rare for clubs to release their top 17 upon request. But depth players often get released.

But honestly these discussions with throwing up names willy nilly are a touch overdone. Fair enough that some people enjoy this. But how often does it bring about satisfaction. I mean we picked up Pele who was on plenty of wish lists here. He's now copping plenty of flack.

Results this year disappoint me. I don't enjoy seeing us lose, but the margins by which we've been losing make me worry about how engaged the players are. Above all else I'd like to think the players don't want to be embarrassed week to week. I'm not seeing that they really care right now.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd honestly like to know we're chasing players that are too good for reserve grade but who haven't shown enough in the NRL to cement a spot over incumbents at stacked clubs.

It's pretty rare for clubs to release their top 17 upon request. But depth players often get released.

But honestly these discussions with throwing up names willy nilly are a touch overdone. Fair enough that some people enjoy this. But how often does it bring about satisfaction. I mean we picked up Pele who was on plenty of wish lists here. He's now copping plenty of flack.

Results this year disappoint me. I don't enjoy seeing us lose, but the margins by which we've been losing make me worry about how engaged the players are. Above all else I'd like to think the players don't want to be embarrassed week to week. I'm not seeing that they really care right now.
I hear you sir and believe the lack of players in the talent pool is the perfect storm for player management. Clubs are all desperately working hard to retain and maintain squads and with the current systems it's no wonder players look around as often as they do for money based on the guidance of these managers. Loyalty is rare and the media love to hype the matter with hysterical columns even if they are bs. Our team and results are embarrassing and our sponsors are sticking by us along with the faithful supporters. Indeed even our ex players and leaders have no answers when you ask them. I do know the NRL needs to work harder to have big clubs line ours return to the finals as we generate big crowds and revenue when we're participating.
FINALS SUCCESS BLUEPRINT Big Clubs - Big Audience = Big Revenue
Unlike Roosters,Manly, Titans, Cowboys and Cronulla for example whose supporters hate travelling and cant sell out stadiums like the Dogs Eels Dragons and South's Members can..

Let's see the next round of negotiations for rights play out with

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I think most of us like Pele, It’s Ciro who seems to have an issue with him. He’s on my bench every day of the week… I’m ok with him churning out 2x 20min spells running off the back fence.

McLean, Greig and Blacker would be nice pick ups… even Tepai Moeroa would do a job.