News Bulldogs Dilemma: Which NSW gun to target?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Addo-Carr easily... We lack blinding pace and agility outside Averillo. Think about how much easier a halfs life is when he has a speedster chasing down his kicks. Players like Addo-Carr can make halves look better than they actually are

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Its about time that we are really starting to build a strong roster that can compete with the big clubs. I think if we can manage to get addo carr over the line and sign a quality dummy half we can start challenging for a premiership in the next 2-3 seasons. We can finally look forward to good times ahead.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Fox would have to be the obvious option, but either would be a win... and not not winning, we seem to have chalked up a lot of wins with Barrett.!!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I see Avo as the future #1. He's just had his contract extended, so that means they've got plans for him. He's not going to be the future 5/8 as clearly Burton will have that role. Centre? Didn't look great there this year. Winger? Wouldn't think so.

Leaves the fullback position, which I think he'll be given. Leaves the question why sign a fullback, and I don't think JAC will play there for us. The real issue then is it worth paying so much for a winger? I'd say no.
Surely they are not planning to let go of Averillo, I can only see him as a 6 or 1, it TB plans playing Burton at 5/8 and JAC at FB
Guess by the end of 2021 we will know a lot more of what Avo is capable off.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So over $2m invested in 3 outside backs...yh, that will surely work lol.
DWZ also still on the books in 22 on decent money. There’s very little chance anyone will take him unless we pay a big chunk of his contract.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With the recruitment we have achieved, the backs are starting to look awesome. There are a lot of possibilities regarding positions.
JAC is a no brainer for fullback. He has played there as a younger guy, he's quick, is good under the high ball, and his ball returns are awesome.
His defence is also very good. This will allow Meaney to remain as a winger, and "back up" fullback.
With Burton and Flanagan being the halves, Averillo and Wakeham are the problems. One could play centre and the other on the bench.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not really sold on Crichton.

Had a great year but we would be paying him on potential whereas Addo Carr is proven.

Would prefer JAC
Yeh im not sure on him either. Good i know, but has had a lucky year. Lets see how he goes under the pressure next year.

Malla

Reaction score
Yeh im not sure on him either. Good i know, but has had a lucky year. Lets see how he goes under the pressure next year.
Teams will know what they need to do to shut him down ie. Storm in the grand final. Not saying he isn't worth it, but you would want to see a little more than 1 year sample size playing at that level before giving him that kind of coin. Hence why he will remain with Panthers - can't see him leaving.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Teams will know what they need to do to shut him down ie. Storm in the grand final. Not saying he isn't worth it, but you would want to see a little more than 1 year sample size playing at that level before giving him that kind of coin. Hence why he will remain with Panthers - can't see him leaving.
Yeh agree, plus his pedigree and juniors didnt ring out either - not that that is a key indicator at all

i just keep thinking his brother is Christian too, Stephen must have gotten all the talent lolll

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean really with hoppa Napa jmk Lewis britt Crichton meaney smith and the other smith already released and whoever else off contract we can clearly go hard at both.

I’ve been crying out for 5 signings.

Burton is in for greens money

Jac for the left over cap now (especially with remis gone we clearly are fine)

Leinu in for Napa (we have arguably 100-150k there if we had to pay 500k to secure Leinu)

B smith in for jmk and Lewis then the balance of Napa goes to a rookie to fill the roster gap.

Staggs/Crichton for hoppa. Sure we are no doubt 100-200k short but if meaney britt wakeham and the other smith are replaced with cheaper depth or kids (who can’t be much fucking worse) it works.

Plus I’m sure laundry and sponsors will be keen all of a sudden with them added!

The following year we have Stimson and no doubt a few other spuds we are free of to if need be.
Totally agree we can afford BOTH plus a decent hooker like a B Smith + Spencer Lenui IF we decide NOW to shed the following players at the end of next season
Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Tyrone Harding, Will Hopoate (500-650K), Sione Katoa, Tui Katoa, Lachlan Lewis (350K), Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa (650K), James Roumanos, Chris Smith.

We should also shop around DWZ and Wakeham (and Jackson). We could also keep Christian Crichton on minimum wage if that helps get Stephen Crichton

If we want to be a top 4 side we need both Crichton and JAC in the backline. If you look at Souths or the Roosters we can definitely afford the team below. Remember our young halves are coming cheap compared to other clubs who usually spend big here.

1 JAC
2 Jake Averillo
3 Nick Cotric
4 Stephen Crichton
5 Jayden Okunbor
6 Matt Burton
7 Kyle Flanagan
8 Spencer Lenui
9 Brandon Smith
10 Ofahiki Ogden
11 RFM
12 Adam Elliott (c)
13 Luke Thompson

SPINE: JAC, Burton, Flanagan, B.Smith (top 4 spine)

Yes I know some keep saying Averillo should be our fullback but how many games have you watched him play at fullback ? We know JAC is a world class player already and he played fullback as a junior. If you were going to bet your life on either JAC or Averillo becoming an elite fullback who would you bet on ?. I'll go with JAC.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Totally agree we can afford BOTH plus a decent hooker like a B Smith + Spencer Lenui IF we decide NOW to shed the following players at the end of next season
Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Tyrone Harding, Will Hopoate (500-650K), Sione Katoa, Tui Katoa, Lachlan Lewis (350K), Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa (650K), James Roumanos, Chris Smith.

We should also shop around DWZ. We could also keep Christian Crichton on minimum wage if that helps get Stephen Crichton

If we want to be a top 4 side we need both Crichton and JAC in the backline.
No we don't.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No we don't.
Agree on this. There needs to be a balance imo.

For long-term success we need to buy some top players, but also start bringing through some juniors. Personally I wouldn't look to sign both. Spending such a large chunk on outside backs is a damned risky undertaking especially when both halves are going to be on less than 500k each. Those two start firing and they'll be demanding 700k+ at least and we need to find money for that. Add to this the hopefully improved contracts for players once we hit some form.

To me .... buy one of them and either promote or get someone a bit cheaper. We're going to have other players e.g. Avo, Burton, Flanno who'll need major upgrades in the coming years. Add to that the big money out future hooker will be on ...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Agree on this. There needs to be a balance imo.

For long-term success we need to buy some top players, but also start bringing through some juniors. Personally I wouldn't look to sign both. Spending such a large chunk on outside backs is a damned risky undertaking especially when both halves are going to be on less than 500k each. Those two start firing and they'll be demanding 700k+ at least and we need to find money for that. Add to this the hopefully improved contracts for players once we hit some form.

To me .... buy one of them and either promote or get someone a bit cheaper. We're going to have other players e.g. Avo, Burton, Flanno who'll need major upgrades in the coming years. Add to that the big money out future hooker will be on ...
They're star struck. Yh it's nice to have high profile players but the reality is that teams that splash the cash for these guys simply don't win comps....unless you're the Roosters.

Like you said both our halves are on under 500k... Flanagan around 350k with Burton around 450k, yet people want us spending substantially more on outside backs? Lol. These backs aren't doing shit without the men on the inside.