News Bulldogs Dilemma: Which NSW gun to target?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A future NSW Origin star - or the Blues fastest man?

This is the enviable dilemma that suddenly confronts the Canterbury brains-trust who are deliberating over whether to pursue outstanding NSW Origin centre Stephen Crichton and Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr.

Although Canterbury can’t afford to sign both - how quickly things have changed at Belmore.

Just over 12-months after being frozen out of the transfer market by a lopsided salary cap, the Bulldogs are the club that every other rival is looking over their shoulder for.

The Dogs next step in their recruitment is to add legitimate speed and attacking strike to their backline and it’s Crichton or Addo-Carr who they want.

Crichton has told those close to him his preference is to extend his future beyond his current 2021 deal at Penrith - while the Dogs are of the belief that it could take as much as $700,000 a season to prize the Blues extended squad member out of his current home.

That size salary for a centre is elite-level money with Kiwi Test centre Joey Manu on an equivalent contract at the Roosters.

But the Bulldogs - like the rest of the code - know how much upside and talent Crichton has.

Which is why the Bulldogs are in the process of weighing up their financial capability to make a serious play for Crichton, or whether to continue chasing Addo-Carr, who toured the club‘s facilities this week.

Addo-Carr isn‘t available until the end of his current contract with the Storm at the end of 2021.

One thing is for certain, the Dogs are on a roll.

With money to spend and coach Trent Barrett promising a new way for Canterbury, the ‘Berris pulled off yet another major coup on Wednesday with the acquisition of talented Penrith half Matt Burton.

As first revealed by the Telegraph yesterday, Burton has penned a two-year deal from 2022 with an option in his favour for a third season.

Penrith were never a chance to match the Bulldogs and the Sharks offers - who also offered Burton a deal - of close to $620,000 a season.

Barrett‘s relationship with Burton, having worked together over the past 12-months at Penrith, was what knocked the Sharks out of the race.

Burton still has next season to run on his contract at Penrith, but it‘s almost certain that the 20-year-old and his management will request a release to join the Bulldogs immediately.

Penrith are adamant they won‘t be forthcoming with a release unless there is a suitable replacement or swap player offered.

“Having someone of Matt‘s ability want to be part of what we are building here at Belmore is exciting for everyone involved at the club and all our Members and fans,’’ Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill said.

“Matt is a great talent and someone that was highly sought after, so we are delighted that he has chosen to join our club and be part of what we believe to be a new beginning for the Bulldogs.
“With a new coaching staff that is working extremely hard with our players this pre-season and the addition of several new faces we believe that Matt‘s signing for 2022 is another massive step forward for this club.”

Burton will be given first shot at steering the new-look Dogs in 2021 alongside fellow Bulldogs recruit and halfback Kyle Flanagan.

Along with Flanagan, Burton also joins former Panthers teammate Jack Hetherington, Canberra’s representative winger Nick Cotric and Manly forward Corey Waddell as Bulldogs recruits.

Veteran half Kieran Foran has left the Bulldogs to return to Manly under Des Hasler, while unwanted forward Aiden Tolman has joined Cronulla and winger Marcelo Montoya has inked a deal with the New Zealand Warriors.

People...Do not believe all you read in The Daily Telecrap !!!

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Critchon has had one good season and Addo Carr is a proven weapon on the wing I’d personally be happy to pay 700 a year for Addo Carr to play on the wing if he is 15 plus try’s a year only a hand full of wingers are worth that and he is one of them Sivo is on 575 at parra and Carr is in that top quality
Let’s see how critchon goes this year he was coming on in the 15 Jersey up to rd 8 this year now is commanding 700-800 k latrel is worth that and he is a proven game breaker

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Simple.

Give Storm Cotric and we will take JAC and Crichton

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Addo carr
2. Dwz
3. Cotric
4. Staggs
5. Okonbor
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Ado Carr will go to the club with the highest offer. And I fucking hope it ain’t us who offers him the biggest cheque. I can see Ado Carr being Bmoz all over again. And even if the cocksucker is fit and stays on the field. He can’t ball play at all, kick, read numbers. Madone please just give Averillo the 1 for a year

Rocket64

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Both..and more, journo has no idea, we could easily move the chess pieces to make room for JAC, SC and Harry Grant or B Smith..I would also strongly consider K Staggs when off contract..anything is in play

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dont worry about both it's JAC and a 9 we want..p.s when the fuck is Cameron "look at me" Smith going to make a decision that DICKHEAD put his boots in the locker over a month ago!!

JAC will make it as a fullback i reckon or can even stay on the wing and alternate at 1 throughout games with Averillo as Baz has already talked about.He is prime X factor we should just fn do it asap..
As for a 9 see what these Melbourne boys are doing and nab more likely Brandon Smith or the fairytale jag we sign Harry Grant on a motza deal and watch everyone bar up and the whole NRL drool with envy.

Chricton is likely to be a Panthers lifer I reckon we should forget him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree, a gun 9 is a must.

What if Barrett turns Wakeham into a top notch no.9?
That would be great. I guess we just have to wait and see how we go over the opening few rounds, a few players might suprise or disappoint and that might impact how we go about our recruitment.