News Bulldogs Dilemma: Which NSW gun to target?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I see jac as a positive signing, character and charisma bring sponsors in, could help draw more third party deals to the club, thus helping other contracts stay a bit lower
Have we had a genuine character/charismatic since big Willie? Jimmy G had a bit perhaps, but not the same as Mason or JAC...

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure we could afford both, I think it's a case of should we?

1. If everything goes well with Flanagan and Burton, they'll need upgrades.
2. We need to spend some money at hooker (2).
3. Will need to replace Napa. Hetherington, Ogden and Atoni is OK, feels a bit skinny though?
4. At some point we need some older heads in there, Hoppa is almost essential moving forward to keep some leadership in the group.

I wouldn't be prepared to pay JAC overs to get him here, especially to play fullback. Now if he's happy to get paid as a rookie fullback or elite winger (500k?) then fine - let's play it out, Definitely shouldn't be the priority though.
We'll have money to pay for upgrades in future as other underperforming or retiring players move on. Yes we definitely need an attacking hooker and from what I hear we're targeting one. If we replaced Napa with Lenui that would be an upgrade + we'd also save probably 300K - 350K a season.

I'm just really concerned with our inability to create points for a few seasons now. Flanagan and Burton are still very young and inexperienced. We can't put too much pressure on them to win every game. We don't have much try creating ability in the forwards or backs including our wingers (besides maybe Averillo and Cotric) - players who can create new or who can convert those 50/50 opportunities. So we need as many attacking freaks as we can get. 1 or 2 extra tries a game can make a huge difference in the number of games won.

Hopa is just too slow to make line break unfortunately. He'd have to be on decent money too. I'd love to see both JAC and Crichton (strike players) in our backline somewhere and I really believe we can afford both + a great hooker + Lenui.

Barrett said in an interview recently that especially with the new rules (6 again) speed in the backline is essential.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We'll have money to pay for upgrades in future as other underperforming or retiring players move on. Yes we definitely need an attacking hooker and from what I hear we're targeting one. If we replaced Napa with Lenui that would be an upgrade + we'd also save probably 300K - 350K a season.

I'm just really concerned with our inability to create points for a few seasons now. Flanagan and Burton are still very young and inexperienced. We can't put too much pressure on them to win every game. We don't have much try creating ability in the forwards or backs including our wingers (besides maybe Averillo and Cotric) - players who can create new or who can convert those 50/50 opportunities. So we need as many attacking freaks as we can get. 1 or 2 extra tries a game can make a huge difference in the number of games won.

Hopa is just too slow to make line break unfortunately. He'd have to be on decent money too. I'd love to see both JAC and Crichton (strike players) in our backline somewhere and I really believe we can afford both + a great hooker + Lenui.

Barrett said in an interview recently that especially with the new rules (6 again) speed in the backline is essential.
You can buy speed without spending 700k on a player lol.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
His hate of Hoppa is absolutely hilarious, I'm still dying at the idea of playing Wakeham at centre just because he isn't Hoppa lol.
I actually can't tell if he is a 15 year old retard or 60 year old retard. Also don't forgot the guy said Lichaa to have his best year this year every year he was at the Dogs, Taupau don't make metres, Chris Smith at centre. He comes up with some classics

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you are concerned about Burton’s and Flanagan’s creativity then putting JAC at fullback won’t help that. JAC is a ball runner and a finisher he will put more pressure on the halves if anything.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I actually can't tell if he is a 15 year old retard or 60 year old retard. Also don't forgot the guy said Lichaa to have his best year this year every year he was at the Dogs, Taupau don't make metres, Chris Smith at centre. He comes up with some classics
Im not retarded and not Italian. If anyone with an ounce of sense agrees with you, that means you are both wrong.
As for Hoppa, I dont hate him. He seems like a really good fellow. However, he must be regarded as a borderline first grade player.
He has zero speed, bad positional play, misses and tackles. The best thing though, is that he wont be here next season.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im not retarded and not Italian. If anyone with an ounce of sense agrees with you, that means you are both wrong.
As for Hoppa, I dont hate him. He seems like a really good fellow. However, he must be regarded as a borderline first grade player.
He has zero speed, bad positional play, misses and tackles. The best thing though, is that he wont be here next season.
"Borderline first grade player" LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL FMD I'm done. That's enough internet for today.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If you are concerned about Burton’s and Flanagan’s creativity then putting JAC at fullback won’t help that. JAC is a ball runner and a finisher he will put more pressure on the halves if anything.
Not when it comes to kicking into space and needing a good chase. An overcooked kick can be disguised / saved by players like JAC

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not when it comes to kicking into space and needing a good chase. An overcooked kick can be disguised / saved by players like JAC
Yeah that’s a good point but JAC isn’t going to take pressure off the halves with ball playing, game management or a kicking game.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Like Meaney ?
HSM, Dunster, Ramsey, etc...plenty of young backs off contract, a few value signings, potential players that want to break contract and whoever else pops up and makes a name for themselves. A good spine and forward pack will go a hell of a lot further than a backline of big names.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan and Burton need quick finishers to get the ball to as quickly as possible to run into gaps. Few better than JAC at that. Best fullbacks in the game Tedesco and Papenhuyzen, Tommy Turbo aren't ball players. They're fast, have high energy like JAC.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flanagan and Burton need quick finishers to get the ball to as quickly as possible to run into gaps. Few better than JAC at that. Best fullbacks in the game Tedesco and Papenhuyzen, Tommy Turbo aren't ball players. They're fast, have high energy like JAC.
Take a look at the try assists for Papenhuyzen, Tedesco and T Turbo those stats suggest they are definitely ball players and it’s a huge part of their game.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
JAC all day. We need definitely need some experience in amongst the new players we are bringing in.

Not at fullback though.

1. it would cost too much
2. Hopoate shits all over JAC at fullback anyway.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Take a look at the try assists for Papenhuyzen, Tedesco and T Turbo those stats suggest they are definitely ball players and it’s a huge part of their game.
Teddy and Paps also lead their teams for line break assists while Tom was second despite playing only 7 games...fairly likely he would've also been first if he played more.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked up the stats. Please see below. JAC had almost half the try assist of the other 2 while playing wing. How do we know he wouldn't have similar numbers if playing fullback ? His line breaks and tackle breaks are almost the same as Paps with less ball probably.

JAC
TRY ASSISTS 6
LINE BREAKS18
TACKLE BREAKS 67

Ryan P
TRY ASSISTS 15
LINE BREAKS 15
TACKLE BREAKS 70

Tedesco
TRY ASSISTS 15
LINE BREAKS 15
TACKLE BREAKS 139