News Bulldogs Dilemma: Which NSW gun to target?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just looked up the stats. Please see below. JAC had almost half the try assist of the other 2 while playing wing. How do we know he wouldn't have similar numbers if playing fullback ? His line breaks and tackle breaks are almost the same as Paps with less ball probably.

JAC
TRY ASSISTS 6
LINE BREAKS18
TACKLE BREAKS 67

Ryan P
TRY ASSISTS 15
LINE BREAKS 15
TACKLE BREAKS 70

Tedesco
TRY ASSISTS 15
LINE BREAKS 15
TACKLE BREAKS 139
It’s less then half with try assists it’s closer to a third and that’s a big difference. JAC doesn’t even factor into line break assist compared to those three either. The thing is no one knows if JAC will give you the same input at fullback but you’re paying him like he does that’s the issue.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
JAC will make a successful transition to fullback imo, if that's where we decide for him play him (I wouldn't due to Averillo "needing" a position, I'd play JAC on the wing). I'd be more confident JAC would make a successful transition over someone like Latrell, who by half way through the season this year looked like he'd settled into the position. At most, after one season being left at fullback, JAC will be performing how we'd want him to be (it's more than possible that he won't hit the ground running). When you look at the alternatives, it's going to be the same if we pick Averillo or we're just going to be choosing someone who we know isn't good enough to play fullback full time at present and in the future. JAC isn't lazy either and he's super fit. I can see him being able to replicate close to Tedesco's stats above, especially when playing in and around the ruck instead out wide. We're also paying JAC overs anyways which is the same, or thereabouts, as fullback money. If we want a winger that's the quality of JAC we're going to have to pay 600-700k, similar to Cotric.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just looked up the stats. Please see below. JAC had almost half the try assist of the other 2 while playing wing. How do we know he wouldn't have similar numbers if playing fullback ? His line breaks and tackle breaks are almost the same as Paps with less ball probably.

JAC
TRY ASSISTS 6
LINE BREAKS18
TACKLE BREAKS 67

Ryan P
TRY ASSISTS 15
LINE BREAKS 15
TACKLE BREAKS 70

Tedesco
TRY ASSISTS 15
LINE BREAKS 15
TACKLE BREAKS 139
Looking at the stats, I honestly believe he could become a great attacking fullback,
We all know he played there in his junior years, it remains to be seen if he could organize the defense or defend like a fullback should.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he could potentially become a great hooker ,needs more size muscle mass for the defensive work load of a hooker but would be explosively quick out of dummy half and bust em wide open up the middle after quick play the balls he's worth a shot next year anyway could develop nicely under our new coaches
Yeah nah..

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Our back five could be
1. Avo
2. Jac
3. Crighton
4. Cotric
5. Okunbor
I like that the 2 players in that backline we didn’t buy from elsewhere came up through our juniors.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not 100% on JAC at FB, but I am keen on the idea though.

Averillo will be fine. He’s young. Perhaps they spilt it between the 2 based on scenarios? Perhaps Averillo kills it there and we end up having the worlds best winger on the wing? Perhaps JAC is a phenomenal FB? Who knows? I’d rather have him if the squad.

we won’t be getting Crichton, that’s Pie in the sky. He’ll stay a Panther.

we 1000% need a hooker though. That much is true. I’d be targeting one of 3. Clarke, Smith or McInnes. Grant won’t be going anywhere now.

we just have to be very sure we have the cash set aside to upgrade Burton and Flanagan if they fire.

what I would love to see, whilst being realistic to an extent for 2022.

1 JAC (1 or 2 doesn’t matter)
2 Averillo (1 or 2 doesn’t matter)
3 Cotric
4 Schoup (hoping he fires like Best, Lomax etc)
5 Okunbor
6 Burton
7 Flanagan
8 Leniu
9 Smith to Clarke
10 Ogden
11 RFM
12 Elliot
13 Thompson

Atoni, Hetherington, Jackson (will be nearing end) Stimson, Waddell, Topine, Wakeham,

we probably are a couple of outside backs short. Id be looking for gun kids. Surely between Barrett and our recruiting we can spot some

Last edited:

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
We COULD have both but I don’t think we SHOULD. I think it needs to be one or the other IMO. My preference would be JAC though I wouldn’t be mad if we signed Crichton. With Cotric not being cheap I feel like 3 SOO caliber backs on big money is abit of a mismanagement of the warchest lol we’re better off sitting back observing the market in the next year or so. I can’t wait for the next batch of deadwood to be cleaned out. Such exciting times ahead. We deserve these good times. I know all of you know what I mean. Its been tough for us but its time for us to take our rightful place at the top.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other thing is, we dont really NEED both now.

let’s get our spine settled first.
If a spine of JAC or AVERILLO, Burton, Flanagan and a good hooker go well then that’s great. If not, we can search for another back in a year when we have more money to do so.

we could even land a Staines for example. Panthers will end up going
Crichton
Lui
Cleary
Korisou
Maybe Staines might wanna a FB spot then? Maybe we won’t need one?
I say make sure we get what we need now. The rest we have time for.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s less then half with try assists it’s closer to a third and that’s a big difference. JAC doesn’t even factor into line break assist compared to those three either. The thing is no one knows if JAC will give you the same input at fullback but you’re paying him like he does that’s the issue.
You wouldn't really expect a winger (finisher) to have a lot of try assists though. I just think he has great potential. He's not lazy. Like someone else said on here if Latrell can make the transition I definitely think the Fox can. Bill Slater, Bellamy and I think it may have been Fittler all said they believe JAC could become a great fullback. Why didn't Bellamy ever try him there ? I think it's like when anyone in any job is doing so well at that job the boss is reluctant to promote them to another position. If Bellamy didn't have others suited to fullback then yes he may have tried Fox but he didn't need to. We're not in as good a position though unfortunately. The 3 fullbacks we've tried recently (including Hopa) have been a bit underwhelming.

JAC is asking for 800K apparently (Tedesco's reportedly asking for 1.2M). He's on about 500K now with the Storm. I think the Tigers offered him around 550 - 600K. If we can land him for the same as Cotric (650K) I think it's not too bad even if he ends up playing wing but I really think he'll make a fantastic fullback and if he does it will be a bargain compared to Tedesco (almost half the cost). We know he has good hands, he's super fit, has high energy. He just needs to find a passing game which I'm confident Barrett can help him develop.

Barrett obviously wants JAC for a reason. We should have faith in the decision of our new coach shouldn't we ?

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You wouldn't really expect a winger (finisher) to have a lot of try assists though. I just think he has great potential. He's not lazy. Like someone else said on here if Latrell can make the transition I definitely think the Fox can. Bill Slater, Bellamy and I think it may have been Fittler all said they believe JAC could become a great fullback. Why didn't Bellamy ever try him there ? I think it's like when anyone in any job is doing so well at that job the boss is reluctant to promote them to another position. If Bellamy didn't have others suited to fullback then yes he may have tried Fox but he didn't need to. We're not in as good a position though unfortunately. The 3 fullbacks we've tried recently (including Hopa) have been a bit underwhelming.

JAC is asking for 800K apparently (Tedesco's reportedly asking for 1.2M). He's on about 500K now with the Storm. I think the Tigers offered him around 550 - 600K. If we can land him for the same as Cotric (650K) I think it's not too bad even if he ends up playing wing but I really think he'll make a fantastic fullback. We know he has good hands, he's super fit, has high energy. He just needs to find a passing game which I'm confident Barrett can hep him with.

Barrett obviously wants JAC for a reason. We should have faith in the decision of our new coach shouldn't we ?
Latrell didn't make the transition successfully, Souths were better WITHOUT him at fullback.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
HSM, Dunster, Ramsey, etc...plenty of young backs off contract, a few value signings, potential players that want to break contract and whoever else pops up and makes a name for themselves. A good spine and forward pack will go a hell of a lot further than a backline of big names.
Would really like Cody Ramsay outside Cotric

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not 100% on JAC at FB, but I am keen on the idea though.

Averillo will be fine. He’s young. Perhaps they spilt it between the 2 based on scenarios? Perhaps Averillo kills it there and we end up having the worlds best winger on the wing? Perhaps JAC is a phenomenal FB? Who knows? I’d rather have him if the squad.

we won’t be getting Crichton, that’s Pie in the sky. He’ll stay a Panther.

we 1000% need a hooker though. That much is true. I’d be targeting one of 3. Clarke, Smith or McInnes. Grant won’t be going anywhere now.

we just have to be very sure we have the cash set aside to upgrade Burton and Flanagan if they fire.

what I would love to see, whilst being realistic to an extent for 2022.

1 JAC (1 or 2 doesn’t matter)
2 Averillo (1 or 2 doesn’t matter)
3 Cotric
4 Schoup (hoping he fires like Best, Lomax etc)
5 Okunbor
6 Burton
7 Flanagan
8 Leniu
9 Smith to Clarke
10 Ogden
11 RFM
12 Elliot
13 Thompson

Atoni, Hetherington, Jackson (will be nearing end) Stimson, Waddell, Topine, Wakeham,

we probably are a couple of outside backs short. Id be looking for gun kids. Surely between Barrett and our recruiting we can spot some
I reckon we'll end up with something like this but with Naden in the centres.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

JAC is asking for 800K apparently (Tedesco's reportedly asking for 1.2M). He's on about 500K now with the Storm. I think the Tigers offered him around 550 - 600K. If we can land him for the same as Cotric (650K) I think it's not too bad even if he ends up playing wing but I really think he'll make a fantastic fullback and if he does it will be a bargain compared to Tedesco (almost half the cost). We know he has good hands, he's super fit, has high energy. He just needs to find a passing game which I'm confident Barrett can help him develop.

Thats where I'm at with this. Barrett has made all the right moves so far, and he obviously sees something that makes him want JAC apart of what he's building.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

So what makes you think he will magically pile on the try assists at fullback? Are you just hoping it happens or have seen something in his game that makes you confident it will happen? Latrell hasn't really made a success of the transition either (he wasn't terrible but not great) and if anything Souths as a team looked better once Allen came in there. You are making a lot of assumptions on Bellamy he could have seen limitations in JAC's game too as it stands Bellamy believes JAC is a better winger then he is fullback. The 3 fullbacks we have recently tried have all moved positions to play there it shows you how risky it is.

So JAC is asking for $800k so how will we land him for $650k? There is plenty of competition for his signature I doubt you get him for $150k less then his asking price. You just can't just teach a passing game in a few weeks it could take months or even seasons.

Having faith in Barrett doesn't mean you can't question his decisions. It's a fact of life he's not going to make the right decisions every single time. He just needs to make more right decisions then wrong ones and he will be fine.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thats where I'm at with this. Barrett has made all the right moves so far, and he obviously sees something that makes him want JAC apart of what he's building.
Everyone "wants" JAC in their team...however there's a difference between wanting him and actually paying him what is required to get him here. If we were prepared to pay him the $$$ some are throwing around on here then he would already be here, that BS heads of agreement would mean fuck all if the cash was on the table Infront him.

I think If you can get JAC @ under 600k then that's solid, but once you start going higher and thinking you can play him in a different position then you're just adding far more risk to the deal to the point where you're far more likely to get better value from other investments. 700-800k our halves are earning almost that combined lol.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As if we can't offload 2- 3 players and make room for both in 2022. Im sure hoppa's money or dwz money would be enough to get them both.
I think DWZ contracted for another 2 years

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everyone "wants" JAC in their team...however there's a difference between wanting him and actually paying him what is required to get him here. If we were prepared to pay him the $$$ some are throwing around on here then he would already be here, that BS heads of agreement would mean fuck all if the cash was on the table Infront him.

I think If you can get JAC @ under 600k then that's solid, but once you start going higher and thinking you can play him in a different position then you're just adding far more risk to the deal to the point where you're far more likely to get better value from other investments. 700-800k our halves are earning almost that combined lol.
I mean I'm comfortable in Barretts judgment in paying JAC what he's worth. As a FB or winger.

I'm also comfortable if Barrett thinks he can use him at FB.

I personally think he'll go good at FB, if that's what Barret is thinking.