Bulldogs Culture Change For 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Hopoate - SOO winger, premiership winner, asks for Sundays off Des and Raelene grant it
2. B Morris - SOO Winger, Australian Winger, prolific try scorer, premiership winner, puts his body on the line and never gives up
3. J Morris - SOO Centre, Australian Centre, prolific try scorer, called on to mark Greg Inglis out of the game in SOO, never gives up puts body on the line
4. B Lee - Debut season, Des hasn't got his tentacles into Brenko's talent yet
5. Holland - I won't say anything
6. J Reyolds - SOO 5/8, SOO winner, never say die attitude, little talent, Numerous occassions of being game winner
7. M Mbye - "prodigy", 750K per season, next JT, hasn't done anything noteworthy
8. A Tolman - premiership winner (taken away for salary cap scandal)
9. Lichaa - Forum has had it's say
10. J Graham - Never say die attitude, leader of the pack, Aggressive, wants to dominate, Aggressiveness taken away by RAELENE after black friday
11. J Jackson - In one word - "SUPERMAN"
12. A Elliot - Junior, never say die, keep going, 110% effot
13. Klemmer - Aggressive, bully, in your face

So "culture", the majority have it, Des hasn't been able to harness it.

I was optimistic last week, before the Nth Qld game, but after that game i saw the same shit from our team that we'd seen for the past few seasons. How is Woods and Foran going to change that?

Buck stops with Des, hes screwed up, he hasn't fixed and I'm not sure a couple of signings is going to change the shit Des has ingrained into the players

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whenever coaches get the sack there is always a chorus of people that blame the players. There is a reason for this.
Im not saying des is innocent, but its obvious the playing roster needs a change. Des can coach, he has proven this.
Examples?

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Hopoate - SOO winger, premiership winner, asks for Sundays off Des and Raelene grant it
2. B Morris - SOO Winger, Australian Winger, prolific try scorer, premiership winner, puts his body on the line and never gives up
3. J Morris - SOO Centre, Australian Centre, prolific try scorer, called on to mark Greg Inglis out of the game in SOO, never gives up puts body on the line
4. B Lee - Debut season, Des hasn't got his tentacles into Brenko's talent yet
5. Holland - I won't say anything
6. J Reyolds - SOO 5/8, SOO winner, never say die attitude, little talent, Numerous occassions of being game winner
7. M Mbye - "prodigy", 750K per season, next JT, hasn't done anything noteworthy
8. A Tolman - premiership winner (taken away for salary cap scandal)
9. Lichaa - Forum has had it's say
10. J Graham - Never say die attitude, leader of the pack, Aggressive, wants to dominate, Aggressiveness taken away by RAELENE after black friday
11. J Jackson - In one word - "SUPERMAN"
12. A Elliot - Junior, never say die, keep going, 110% effot
13. Klemmer - Aggressive, bully, in your face

So "culture", the majority have it, Des hasn't been able to harness it.

I was optimistic last week, before the Nth Qld game, but after that game i saw the same shit from our team that we'd seen for the past few seasons. How is Woods and Foran going to change that?

Buck stops with Des, hes screwed up, he hasn't fixed and I'm not sure a couple of signings is going to change the shit Des has ingrained into the players
Culture isn't individual, it's collective and you seem to be associating aggression with culture and they are very different things. The culture of this team has been around working together, performing in a context of "we are good enough to win the comp - just need luck" thinking. Each year we have added "just one more good player" to the pile and he will be the difference between us losing a GF and winning it. Honestly, didn't you think that when we signed BMoz and Hoppa in 2015 that those two blokes would take us all the way? I know I did. We just needed that edge and they were the guys. That, plus the promise of Lichaa and Mbye and we were looking good. It didn't happen though. Yes injuries played their part but the truth is the players themselves develop a sense of comfort and ease as a group, brought on by some good performances (and some bad) and a lack of pressure from below. That's what has happened with us. The reggies train with them so they know how good or bad the others are and they know they aren't under threat and they are happy in each others company. One of the reasons why the sharks succeeded was because they had a siege mentality, players who would play for nearly nothing just to show the world they were good and the injection of 3 or 4 outstanding players that the club could afford because the rest of them were playing for pride rather than money. We haven't had that for a while - not that I'm wishing a controversy on us, but the current group just don't have the mental drive to play with that edge consistently. So, moving a number of key culture carriers on is a good plan, no matter how well regarded those players may be and for mine Graham should be near the top of the list - even though I admire him as a footballer. Jackson and Klemmer need to own the team now.

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Desperate times call for desperate measures.
I miss the passion that the players had back in 2012 but now its just an ugly grinding mess because we're using strategy over skill.

For example to avoid the 7 tackle restart the strategy is 'no kicking on the 5th which sounds good in theory but the nrl got wise to it and counteracted the strategy with instructing refs to give away bullshit penalties anyway which negated this.
The other strategy which hampers our play is the fixation on holding on to the ball at all costs for six sets meaning ' no second phase play' which limits our chance of attack and of course shuts down momentum .
If I could ask for one change it would be to use the second phase play.
Klemmer and Kas are big and strong enough to get a ball away easy.
This applies especially to Gerard Sutton! He loves to bash us whenever he sees an opportunity, particularly when the state of the game is in the balance. I'm sure that he would have gambling issues! How many times does he influence the outcome of games for no other apparent reason other than the influence of gambling?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Culture isn't individual, it's collective and you seem to be associating aggression with culture and they are very different things.
Ummm no, completely disagree with you there. Aggression is massively important in sports, you don't take a step back, you win your one on one battles, you look to dominate your opposition. Aggression is a major part of an elite sportsperson. I'm not talking about lose your shit aggression, it's controlled aggression and that one personality trait is one of the most important parts of a sportspersons traits.

The culture of this team has been around working together, performing in a context of "we are good enough to win the comp - just need luck" thinking.
In the Sam Kasiano thread you said motivation and communication were important parts for a coach. Well what I said was Des hasn't been able to harness all these different POSITIVE personality traits and motivate them and communicate how to work as a team. Plain and simple.

The bare fact is that Hasler has failed, the onus is on Hasler to prove it, he's got that "one missing key" supposedly (Foran), well that's it Des, no more excuses, come out with it.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
This applies especially to Gerard Sutton! He loves to bash us whenever he sees an opportunity, particularly when the state of the game is in the balance. I'm sure that he would have gambling issues! How many times does he influence the outcome of games for no other apparent reason other than the influence of gambling?
Put simply Gerard Sutton is a grub.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Ummm no, completely disagree with you there. Aggression is massively important in sports, you don't take a step back, you win your one on one battles, you look to dominate your opposition. Aggression is a major part of an elite sportsperson. I'm not talking about lose your shit aggression, it's controlled aggression and that one personality trait is one of the most important parts of a sportspersons traits.

In the Sam Kasiano thread you said motivation and communication were important parts for a coach. Well what I said was Des hasn't been able to harness all these different POSITIVE personality traits and motivate them and communicate how to work as a team. Plain and simple.

The bare fact is that Hasler has failed, the onus is on Hasler to prove it, he's got that "one missing key" supposedly (Foran), well that's it Des, no more excuses, come out with it.
I agree with you that Des only has, in my view, 2018 to demonstrate systemic change in the team - if not then by this time next year we should be ready to announce his replacement. Aggression is mindset/tactic and yes every competitive team needs it, but the culture of the club is what "family club", "dogs of war" etc is about. It's about a shared connection that drives players to give the extras that are needed to be the best and that is what is missing in our mob at the moment, or at least not right. You see it in a couple of them but not across the park and that tells me that the blokes who carry the culture have either failed or carrying the wrong one for us. That comes back to the Grahams/Reynolds/Pritchards/Kas of the side (I think) who have the influence over the rest. It's why they always talk about being happy with everything - its because they are and these blokes are the ones who need to change it or be changed - which is what we are doing. It's not about whether they are good footballers its about how and where they fit.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Happy that changes are on the way. However how about dropping people for their poor performances Des? That would be a step forward in making a culture change, rather than getting rid of half the team.

Not complaining now we asked for change and we got it. But ffs des start dropping people who don't perform as well, you frustrating prick.
Des is way too stubborn to drop players to reserve grade lol all you gotta do is look at what happened when dorothy was still at the club.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Des is way too stubborn to drop players to reserve grade lol all you gotta do is look at what happened when dorothy was still at the club.
Correct. Please let us never speak of Dorothy again.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Yes but he seems to be changing, they aren't being dropped to reserve grade, they are being dropped to other clubs!

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Yes but he seems to be changing, they aren't being dropped to reserve grade, they are being dropped to other clubs!
The "change" has only taken 5 years lol. Took him long enough to realize there's too much deadwood laying around the club.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Well the core of the argument is that i am excited for 2018, and you are not. I've stated why i am excited (bringing in high caliber players, removing some deadwood) and you have stated that this does not excite you and the only thing you want is for the coach to be sacked (and to be replaced by????)... You just keep going off on a tangent...

I believe Des can turn this team around, i believe we need a new game plan and im hoping we get something in 2018... but you have just given up on him!!
Lol... how am I going off on a tangent mate, I'm mskkng s clear point and bring pretty firm and consistent about it.

Yes I've given up on him. He's a twat who doesn't understand our culture, as has been pointed out by our two greatest all time players and club men..... there's no rational reason to think things will fe different next year or Des will be good for the dogs when he has been so terrible for us so far.

You can have faith in him if you like, but don't make out fans who don't tolerate his shit are disloyal. Our position is one of complete rationality to be honest. As I said, I think most true loyalist supporters of this club are more loyal to our club identity and culture than don't blow in super coach who has not even done a good job.

Off on tangents? Pfft. I've been consistent and pretty clear in what I've been saying the whole thread.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It is not reasonable to say 5 years for a premiership or pack your bags when the club has been to two grand finals over that time. On the day it's really up to the players to execute despite what a lot of posters say here.

The team has been stable and has been in the final series every year.

Now I'm not saying Des is above criticism, the way the team fell away last season was a disgrace, equal 3rd after 20 rounds then inexplicable bad form for the rest of the season!!

There is no doubt the club got it's roster wrong in particular the trust they showed in Mybe to play halfback. But was that obvious at the time?
Or were the other poor signings you mentioned obviously poor signings at the time?

Maybe the inability to get the best out of Williams, Mybe & Lichaa is Des' fault.
I don't know.
Not close enought nor do I have the expert football knowledge of the coaching staff who worked with and/or work with these guys every day.

But one thing is clear Des the coaching staff, the club are clearly taking a new direction with the roster.

I for one are prepared to see how it goes next season.
Foran I think will make a huge improvement to the team.
Sorry but I don't agree with you. With the money we have invested in Hasler and the resources we've put into meeting his demand, we should at very least be a regular top four side with a stable roster right now. We should be st the height of our powers.... instead we are going a massive rebuild. Des has done a woeful job and deserves no more faith or patience.

Blaming the players for losing those grand finals is ridiculous when our team constantly struggles to find consistency. The only good consistent year we've had since des arrived was 2012 and that was off the back of Barba and continuing in from a basic game plan which was devised by Dymock.

Des has failed and should be returned to sender (or whomever will take him...I'd suggest a bottom right club who needs a lot of defensive help. No more patience required from us. As long as Des leads us we aren't truly the bulldogs. Were imposters... impersonators of ourselves as long as that donkey has control.

I loathe him for what he has done to this club and for his smug attitude and lack of accountability.

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I understand everyone's concern over how Hasler has been a monumental failure in delivery us not only a premiership but a football team we love to watch play every week. When Reynolds announced he was leaving some were saying Foran must have already agreed to terms or why else would they let Reynolds go. I have to ask the same about the coach if you want him to go who can take his place that would satisfy everybody?

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd love to take graham aside , strap him up and ask him some questions via a lie detector.

Status
Not open for further replies.