Bulldogs Culture Change For 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm happy there is change the way things are going we are getting further away from winning comp and we needed to do something about it. It's interesting that Kas and Eastwood are the ones being shopped as there has been whispers for a few years that the playing group was split.

This is surely Des's last throw of the dice and the forward looks to be changing from impact to more of a meter eating pack. Hopefully this indicates Foran and the backline will be a lot more dominant. It will be really disappointing after making so many player changes and finally buying some big names if we wheel out Des ball.

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Interesting thread mate. I hadn't really thought of it before now but you are right, it is a culture change that's taking place and all the people being moved on seem to be from the pre-Des era by and large. The Pritchard/Inu/Kas/Perrett clique in particular was very strong inside the club. With all the long term contracts most of these blokes were on he was probably generally locked into playing them, yes even some he brought with him who haven't worked out, but the bulk were already here as his strongest critics keep pointing out when they say he hasn't recruited anyone. So with the cap going up and some of those contracts getting near the end and a raft of players coming onto the market, Des and co are moving the old playing group on and bringing in a new one, one that he either just wants to work with or that will suit the changing style of play going forward. Clearly if he doesn't win the comp by next year then we will go to a new coach during his last year.
I agree howver a chg of coach should have happened first but who u may ask? There was no one there to take his place.
Dean pay and cleary was mentioned but not worth to twke a punt for whatever reason.

I believe the club should have tried to keep reynold somehow but he is gone!
The broom is a must- it shows they are complacememt and dont work their ass off

I dont care who goes(as lon as it is not graham jackson klemmer)

The rest can go

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The question I always go back to is if we had Bellamy or Bennett coaching us since 2009, how many premierships would we have won? I think at least 1!

This has nothing to do with Bulldogs culture and everything to do with administration, coaching and the plain obvious RECRUITMENT!! With any of those two coaches, we would be in a lot better position than we are today!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree howver a chg of coach should have happened first but who u may ask? There was no one there to take his place.
Dean pay and cleary was mentioned but not worth to twke a punt for whatever reason.

I believe the club should have tried to keep reynold somehow but he is gone!
The broom is a must- it shows they are complacememt and dont work their ass off

I dont care who goes(as lon as it is not graham jackson klemmer)

The rest can go
Well I guess if you really want to change what exists you have to change, in the case of a footy team, either the coach or the players or maybe both. In our case we are going with the players and given the absence of genuine options for a replacement coach I would think that is the right approach. Not because the players themselves can't play, quite clearly and despite some of the carry on here they are all in their own right reasonable to outstanding footballers, but the reality is that players go stale, they get used to doing things a certain way, they form cliques and/or they just stop listening. In our case Des has inherited the bulk of his squad, notwithstanding he has then resigned them over the years. The urgency of the situation has forced him into a re-think about our direction and he has sold the board on the strategy of changing the playing group so he can introduce a new way forward. It's sad for some of our stalwarts but we can't come on here crying because nothing changes and then start crying when we don't like the new direction even before we know what it is.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Newsflash amigo...this is Des' sixth year here....he's already had way more than two chances and produced nada. Give him a second chance? give me a break. He's had more than enough time to show us why he is an asset to this club...and he has failed on all levels. Add to this the fact Foran is a risky proposition at best and what exactly is there to be excited about?

Sorry but I disagree. People have to keep hounding the club until it makes the singular most important change it needs to....that change involves planting a boot firmly into the seat of des pants and punting him out the door....then barring him from ever stepping foot in Belmore again unless we are playing here and he is the opposition coach.

He's had plenty of chances....he still can't even name his halves in the right positions. He's a dimwit...or a saboteur. I haven't figured out which yet.
Okay buddy if u are not excited by two high quality internationals coming to the club then maybe three will excite you... four?

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Strongly disagree. Reynolds brings a competitive, winning attitude to the club and has never even benefitted from proper first grade halves. There's no culture problem at this club, the problem is that dimwit Des' ongoing efforts to erode that culture. And our moronic club has just given him a green light to completely fit and restructure our team despite the fact he has underperformed since the end of 2012 and continually demonstrated he doesn't get our culture.

If Des needed a better roster he should have assembled it before now. Des is the problem and no culture he creates will be as good as the bulldogs culture he doesn't understand and is trying to erode.

He really is doing an awful job. So is our board. Sack Dib, Castke and especially Des and things will get better.
Very correct spot on. Reynolds has played alongside Hodkinson, Keating, Mbye, Frawley and none of these are superstars. Frawley needs time to develop. Mbye not a halfback, Keating was mediocore. Best was Hodkinson.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The only way the culture will change is when Hasler is gone and a non dictator coaches the team.

Also Castle and Dib have to go. They've instilled a losing culture where mediocrity is accepted and rewarded and where no one is accountable for their poor performance on or off the field.

Under Hasler we've completely lost any semblance of the clubs culture and tradition that had served us so well for thirty plus years of success.
Absolutely right. Getting to grand finals is not success. No one remembers the runner up.
We have had nothing but mediocrity since Hasbeen came here. He has had a chance to assemble a good team. He has failed.
The main reason we cannot assemble a winning team, is because good players do not want to be coached by him. Mediocre players come here for a chance. Few succeed.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm happy its happening. These players need to be moved on. There best days are long gone for this club. I wish them all all well and hope a fresh start elsewhere can restart there careers. We need a rebuild or re-mould and thats what is happening.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Okay buddy if u are not excited by two high quality internationals coming to the club then maybe three will excite you... four?
Buddy, no point wasting much more time arguing with you if you're just going to ignore all my arguments.

How many internationals and elite players have the warriors signed in recent years? Guess what, their culture is still shit. You can't solve all of a footy team's problems with a cheque book, but up ahead...keep oversimplifying my argument because you don't have a rational response to it.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Very correct spot on. Reynolds has played alongside Hodkinson, Keating, Mbye, Frawley and none of these are superstars. Frawley needs time to develop. Mbye not a halfback, Keating was mediocore. Best was Hodkinson.
Yeah true.... I actually meant to say halves coaching, but he hasn't played with a top quality organisational half in that time either!

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
If anything the culture change is well overdue and its about time the club is finally getting rid of the deadwood.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a load of bullocks.

If it was a culture change their is no way a coach would sign Foran who has issues with gambling, alcohol, drugs and the rest of it while adding another dumbass who tries to charge his mobile phone in a microwave, but than again who knows, it might be Des' thing.

You want a culture change, fuck off Hasler, Castle & Dibshit. Things can only get better

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its pretty clear now that Des is completely trying to change the internal culture within the club for 2018. Reynolds,(gone) Kasiano, Eastwood, Licha all pretty much guaranteed to be gone from stories i am hearing within the club and more to come i suspect gone for next year. As much as we criticise Des myself included hes definitely trying to bring a new culture into the club for 2018. I think the underlying culture at the moment in the club is not good enough clearly from the results over the last couple of years and a comfortable football team exists who are happy on mediocre performances. As much as it hurts to see our Lynch-pins Reynolds and Kas go i think they are in the centre of this middle of the road culture within our club and Des has to make the tough call to clear them all out as its effecting the fresh blood starting their first grade careers and start again which i think we will see a vast improvement in 2018.
Sadly it took Des some years to notice being nice to nice but lazy players wont work in the game plan,
I have been watching Canterbury for over 40 years our success was always based on hard none compromising football, it will be sad to see if the Likes of Kasiano go but I'm still hopeful he can fix his problems and stay, he has the skills of an Arthur Beetson.
In saying that, Des needs to overhaul hi game style. by the first few weeks next year we should know where we stand !

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Absolutely right. Getting to grand finals is not success. No one remembers the runner up.
We have had nothing but mediocrity since Hasbeen came here. He has had a chance to assemble a good team. He has failed.
The main reason we cannot assemble a winning team, is because good players do not want to be coached by him. Mediocre players come here for a chance. Few succeed.
What a load of crap! Getting to a gf is a successful season. Sure enough, winning is better, but this whole, second is the first loser bullshit is a joke!!!
Some of the things hasler has done over the years have pissed me off, but at least he is consistent in his methods. Rightly or wrongly he has stuck to his coaching ideals, beliefs and structures. Any sporting team needs these qualities in a coach.
A coach has to have a core set of values. He needs a consistent method for his players to adhere to. Just because we dont like it, doesnt mean he is a shit coach. He has had plenty of success throughout his coaching career, and im sure he has stuck solid to all of his own coaching principles.
People can bitch and moan all they want, but facts are facts. And the facts are that we did make the finals the past 5 years, and we did make 2 grandfinals. This proves the guy can coach.
Now lets get back to the original thread context. The club needs a change. They decided des was the one to bring this change about, and it looks to me as though he is doing this. He is moving on players, and replacing them with other quality players. Regardless of what you think of the culture, or what you think it should be, these actions will change things. And i think they will change for the better.

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whenever coaches get the sack there is always a chorus of people that blame the players. There is a reason for this.
Im not saying des is innocent, but its obvious the playing roster needs a change. Des can coach, he has proven this.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
What culture des sucked it out of the whole club.
His got everyone thinking about stats.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Newsflash amigo...this is Des' sixth year here....he's already had way more than two chances and produced nada. Give him a second chance? give me a break. He's had more than enough time to show us why he is an asset to this club...and he has failed on all levels. Add to this the fact Foran is a risky proposition at best and what exactly is there to be excited about?

Sorry but I disagree. People have to keep hounding the club until it makes the singular most important change it needs to....that change involves planting a boot firmly into the seat of des pants and punting him out the door....then barring him from ever stepping foot in Belmore again unless we are playing here and he is the opposition coach.

He's had plenty of chances....he still can't even name his halves in the right positions. He's a dimwit...or a saboteur. I haven't figured out which yet.
What is your definition of "nada"?

Status
Not open for further replies.