News Bulldogs cap bites

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs cap bites
Versatile Broncos forward John Asiata's move to the Bulldogs is in danger of falling through.

Both parties have all but agreed to terms but the problem is the Bulldogs' disastrous salary cap mess.
The club basically doesn't have a cent to spare in the salary cap unless it moves players on.

If bad boy back-rower Adam Elliott is sent packing, that may open the door for Asiata - but nothing has happened there yet.

"I have spoken to John and told him not to wait for us if he finds somewhere else to play," Bulldogs boss Phil Gould told me.

Dragons sign boom rookie
The nephew of former Dragons Kyle and Chase Stanley has signed with the Big Red V for next season.

Cyrus Stanley-Traill, a promising 16-year-old front-rower from the Bulldogs system, has agreed to a three-year deal with the Dragons.

Big and strong, Stanley-Traill has a Fijian dad and Samoan mum and has been a standout at Endeavour Sports High School and in junior rep teams.

The teenager was in hot demand before deciding to follow in his two uncles' footsteps at the Dragons.

The mole

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would you sack Elliot for Asiata? Is that even an upgrade?

John has fallen away a little bit lately. Only getting modest game time if at all, for a modest/below modest return.

I think we got a great steal with Vaughan who is an enforcer/pack leader. Bringing in Asiata (who is a bench forward) is an ok signing for a small contract. But anything near mid level and you are better off developing a younger player.

Ava, Thompson (assuming he isn’t being shopped around), Vaughan, hetherington, TPJ. That is a decent middle forward pack. We do lack some depth in regards to injury or suspension. Funnily enough a Ryan James type would do well as a clubman. I doubt he will bitch and moan if he gets a smaller role in the 17.

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

John has fallen away a little bit lately. Only getting modest game time if at all, for a modest/below modest return.

I think we got a great steal with Vaughan who is an enforcer/pack leader. Bringing in Asiata (who is a bench forward) is an ok signing for a small contract. But anything near mid level and you are better off developing a younger player.

Ava, Thompson (assuming he isn’t being shopped around), Vaughan, hetherington, TPJ. That is a middle forward pack. We do lack some depth in regards to injury or suspension. Funnily enough a Ryan James type would do well as a clubman. I doubt he will bitch and moan if he gets a smaller role in the 17.
Hope we sack Elliott and sign Asiata. Should leave us a couple of hundred grand extra for player 30. Maybe an up and coming 7 ?

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't need Asiata. I reckon Hetherington should move to the second row, I would like to see him running at smaller players on an edge. He played well there at the Warriors. Use Elliots money on a cheapie prop and keep as much cap as we can free so that if we do fuck off Flannagan or Allen we have a buffer to buy a decent 7 or 9

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How long are we going to hear about cap dramas for. It's getting tiresome, the end of the Dib Era, the Anderson era and now under Gus we've had cap issues. Barrett has signed some players which have really wasted cap space too. If we had a great squad I'd be fine but we're far from a guaranteed top 8 side.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All that salary cap shit is bullshit. I dont believe it for a second.

Cyrus is gonna be a weapon. Dragons are lucky to have him. He comes from a good family too.
we already have 29 players signed and if cade cust is in thats 30 gus has confirmed the 29 on twitter

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ava, Thompson (assuming he isn’t being shopped around), Vaughan, hetherington, TPJ. That is a middle forward pack. We do lack some depth in regards to injury or suspension. Funnily enough a Ryan James type would do well as a clubman. I doubt he will bitch and moan if he gets a smaller role in the 17.
Obviously the club was waiting for his medical results and they obviously didn’t like what they saw possibly,the if u find somewhere else story is in reality we r not interested.

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We don't need Asiata. I reckon Hetherington should move to the second row, I would like to see him running at smaller players on an edge. He played well there at the Warriors. Use Elliots money on a cheapie prop and keep as much cap as we can free so that if we do fuck off Flannagan or Allen we have a buffer to buy a decent 7 or 9
Yep agree,hetho has good pace and a pretty good fend,I reckon he's much better suited to playing a bit wider of the ruck.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we can't sack Elliot, I can't see him getting any bids from other clubs given his recent history and the fact that most club rosters are already settled for 2022. Club should issue him an ultimatum demanding that he moves on to ESL or spend the rest of his contract on the sidelines.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep agree,hetho has good pace and a pretty good fend,I reckon he's much better suited to playing a bit wider of the ruck.
Attack wise he could do well on the edge but defensively his poor lateral movement n throwing his arms at players would be an issue. Fixable with good coaching though

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Attack wise he could do well on the edge but defensively his poor lateral movement n throwing his arms at players would be an issue. Fixable with good coaching though
100%,I'm one of the few on here that thinks hetho has some real potential ,bloke has plenty of ticka and aggression,put him in his best position and iron out his defensive flaws and who knows?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hope we sack Elliott and sign Asiata. Should leave us a couple of hundred grand extra for player 30. Maybe an up and coming 7 ?
It’s a golden chance to get rid of him. Even though it is a minor offence the guy has brought the club under intense scrutiny several times. Could be the straw that broke the camels back. His $550k contract doesn’t make him a desirable player for us either. Different story if he was on $250k then you slap him on the wrist and get him into the team again next season.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully young lad has a better body than his uncles
Chase Stanley had a shit load of talent
Unfortunately the body wouldn’t hold up
I think Kyle Stanley was even better than Chase but kept suffering ACL tears... had 4-5 knee reconstructions and had to give up playing... pity

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
100%,I'm one of the few on here that thinks hetho has some real potential ,bloke has plenty of ticka and aggression,put him in his best position and iron out his defensive flaws and who knows?
More people rate him than don't, I argue with them all the time haha. He's a very good athlete but probably one of the dumbest players in the game, then when fatigue kicks in he gets even dumber. He's a bench player at best and really shouldn't be playing many minutes at all.