News Bulldogs becoming a graveyard where careers go to die

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've posted this previously on TK but who was the last big name player we signed from another club who improved while at the Dogs? Burton has flopped, Kikau when he's been on the field hasn't done much, Mahoney has gone backwards, Thompson flopped, Cotric flopped, JAC was better all round at Melbourne and Napa was a shocker. The problem can't just be the players in isolation there is a systemic problem at the club that has spanned several head coaches over close to a decade.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yes but listen, the club had the perfect opportunity to go about their off season & pre season quietly and professionally (siege mentality)
But same as the year before it wasn't the case unfortunately there was a big fuss made about the new recruits and they're "utility" value was going to be a huge step forward as now we've got "depth" to cover all positions so if guys go down there's someone bigger and badder ready to take their place.

I dunno I just think Gould talks too much but then again he is in the media himself but if your out there telling the world how great you are all the time you leave yourself wide open to criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using The Kennel mobile app
He will always be a Murdoch Media target.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I've posted this previously on TK but who was the last big name player we signed from another club who improved while at the Dogs? Burton has flopped, Kikau when he's been on the field hasn't done much, Mahoney has gone backwards, Thompson flopped, Cotric flopped, JAC was better all round at Melbourne and Napa was a shocker. The problem can't just be the players in isolation there is a systemic problem at the club that has spanned several head coaches over close to a decade.
This is true and must be thoroughly analysed as to why it keeps happening.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes but listen, the club had the perfect opportunity to go about their off season & pre season quietly and professionally (siege mentality)
But same as the year before it wasn't the case unfortunately there was a big fuss made about the new recruits and they're "utility" value was going to be a huge step forward as now we've got "depth" to cover all positions so if guys go down there's someone bigger and badder ready to take their place.

I dunno I just think Gould talks too much but then again he is in the media himself but if your out there telling the world how great you are all the time you leave yourself wide open to criticism.

It was really laughable the media offensive they went on, but they had to save face after their training and bullying fiasco during the previous season. Buying an over the top amount of cover for injuries is a terrible way to build a competitive team. Remember the competition for spots articles that was dropped once a week with fresh quotes from the boys lmao.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are cursed, I truly believe this. Was chatting to a few mates last week, and even last year .. I believe I said it on more than one post that we are!! It’s just not a good feeling anymore, and doesn’t get any better as each year goes by unfortunately. And you know I am very optimistic.
We certainly appear that we are cursed, but why is our club cursed there has to be a reason why, I've learned that everything happens for a reason.
One problem I can think of, is that many of the rule changes have made it harder for clubs who are down to get back up.
The new aditions dolphins and the other 3 teams planed for the near future are going to make it almost impossible for a struggling team to get back up.
I believe that the owners of the game, ie. CH9 and News have a secret agenda.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s right about Reed Mahoney, he looks bereft of attacking ideas and his overplays his hand

His defence is still hit or miss
Reed just needs to pass the fucking ball - he had developed a Micheal Liicha style pivot run and pass and its stifling our attack

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We certainly appear that we are cursed, but why is our club cursed there has to be a reason why, I've learned that everything happens for a reason.
One problem I can think of, is that many of the rule changes have made it harder for clubs who are down to get back up.
The new aditions dolphins and the other 3 teams planed for the near future are going to make it almost impossible for a struggling team to get back up.
I believe that the owners of the game, ie. CH9 and News have a secret agenda.
It did seem to happen once Des left, he came in an did a great job, but once that started it’s downfall.. Barba leaving may have not seemed like a big deal but when he did it’s when all the term oil began. The 2014 GF was a huge start of it too. Like a domino affect.

now the players that do come here, seem to use it as a quick working holiday, big money to do fuck all.you notice they are very good. Then they arrive. Seems to me like this club is taken as a running joke between players. Obviously that’s my assumption, but something has seemed very off for a long time, whatever happened and whatever damage was done is has not been able to repair. Doesn’t look like it ever will. 10 years is a long time to be in a rut with no way out.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We are cursed, I truly believe this. Was chatting to a few mates last week, and even last year .. I believe I said it on more than one post that we are!! It’s just not a good feeling anymore, and doesn’t get any better as each year goes by unfortunately. And you know I am very optimistic.
Most realistic supporters are deflated and feeling a sense of deja vu bc of the past 9 or so years. Most are so negative about our prospects, that we are expecting the worst as the dream of finals footy appears to be getting further, and further into the distant future. There's little joy in our playing style.

Every lose ball, we expect we won't fall on it.
Every 50/50 ref call we won't get.
Every promising raid will end with a dropped pass.
Kicks won't land 5-10m out from the goal line.
We won't convert the try.
Refs find a nit picking 6 again yet let opposition lie all over us.
Just examples of the way it seems we have to contend with.

R1 yes but this has been going on for years. CB Bulldogs supporters don't take it well when ridiculed by rivals and in the press.

It seems never ending negatives and we don't seem to be able to determine or own destiny, to a large degree bc of poor selections, mistakes, player ineptness etc.

Things are in hand with Gus. We can feel confident in that. He has come up short with Props and 7 but has signed some and the pathways is rocking. We will turn the tide but us fans are jaded and tired of waiting but wait we must Scooby. We'll hang in there bc that's what we do :grinning:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Most realistic supporters are deflated and feeling a sense of deja vu bc of the past 9 or so years. Most are so negative about our prospects, that we are expecting the worst as the dream of finals footy appears to be getting further, and further into the distant future. There's little joy in our playing style.

R1 yes but this has been going on for years. CB Bulldogs supporters don't take it well when ridiculed by rivals and in the press.

It seems never ending negatives and we don't seem to be able to determine or own destiny, to a large degree bc of poor selections, mistakes, player ineptness etc.

Things are in hand with Gus. We can feel confident in that. He has come up short with Props and 7 but has signed some and the pathways is rocking. We will turn the tide but us fans are jaded and tired of waiting but wait we must Scooby. We'll hang in there bc that's what we do :grinning:
It’s what we do and have done YES, been doing it for almost 40 years, the last 10 being the hardest. All your above is great. And if Gus can sort it time will tell. Again I’m as optimistic as anyone, and you know this. But my patience is now running very short, fuse is definitely burning quicker than usual lol.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Gus has done some good things but has also set us back at the same time

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

so what props and 7 were we supposed to buy? im curious

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
so what props and 7 were we supposed to buy? im curious
This question has been done to death Steve. No need to be curious.

Gus recognised, as did blind freddy, that we needed props and 7. He missed some of the elite but as I said above he did sign some....it was not a criticism. Re-read it.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
This question has been done to death Steve. No need to be curious.

Gus recognised, as did blind freddy, that we needed props and 7. He missed some of the elite but as I said above he did sign some....it was not a criticism. Re-read it.
he didnt miss out on anyone, he pulled out of blake when he didnt want to come here for the right reasons. Spencer went to the roosters because his manager is a roosters supporter and pushed him there, again going for the wrong reasons.
Cant recall anyone else tbh

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
he didnt miss out on anyone, he pulled out of blake when he didnt want to come here for the right reasons. Spencer went to the roosters because his manager is a roosters supporter and pushed him there, again going for the wrong reasons.
Cant recall anyone else tbh
Ok. Your interpretation of "missed" is different to mine.

I only said he missed signing some elite props ...but did sign some props for us.... let's leave it there.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You want my conspiracy theory?
We'll eventually be pushed to South Island NZ, it keeps its Canterbury Bulldogs name since we'd be playing out of Christchurch.
Yeah I know we have a solid fundraiser with the leagues club for when the NRL funds aren't enough and fans and blah blah but it benefits the NRL.

It's part of the reason I've been pushing for a Liverpool Oasis stadium. Secures Bulldogs long term with all the pros like other leagues clubs chipping in, government support to promote SWestern Sydney and sponsors relating to playing at Liverpool and keeping HQ at Belmore .

It's handy to the NRL if we keep "underperforming", best thing the club can have besides winning obviously is the fans support, membership, we have to support the team more than ever right now

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Could have been written by Rothfield and taken up an entire page in the Telegraph. Move on.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wtf is this shit?

This should rally our supporters behind the team and develop an us vs them seige mentality but ...

Most of the soft ***** on here but into this click bait/stir reaction bullshit journalism.

I don't know about the rest of you *****, but I say FUCK THEM

We're the Bulldogs and by the end of this season a lot of people will be eating their own words
I thought that last year, especially after we beat the Storm, but here we are again with the same losing mentality that has plagued the Dogs for almost a decade.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
You want my conspiracy theory?
We'll eventually be pushed to South Island NZ, it keeps its Canterbury Bulldogs name since we'd be playing out of Christchurch.
Yeah I know we have a solid fundraiser with the leagues club for when the NRL funds aren't enough and fans and blah blah but it benefits the NRL.

It's part of the reason I've been pushing for a Liverpool Oasis stadium. Secures Bulldogs long term with all the pros like other leagues clubs chipping in, government support to promote SWestern Sydney and sponsors relating to playing at Liverpool and keeping HQ at Belmore .

It's handy to the NRL if we keep "underperforming", best thing the club can have besides winning obviously is the fans support, membership, we have to support the team more than ever right now
We are more likely to become the Bundaberg Bulldogs than go to NZ.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

We made 13 errors and the refs were having one of those games with us… Eels scored a late try against the grain.. would have been 20-8 (potentially 20-12 if not for the missed conversions) in Parra’s backyard…. My only gripe was not replacing Fox early on when he clearly looked busted and we had capable replacements.

The media were always going to jump on this type of result.