Bulldogs after Josh Hoffman #NoSurprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go back a couple of month ago I said that there will be a major signing announcement after the WC...

Nothing has changed.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
If you go back a couple of month ago I said that there will be a major signing announcement after the WC...

Nothing has changed.
Is it a done deal? Or is it still only verbal at the moment?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hoffman has said he will make a decision after the WC and it looks like he is snobbing the Bronco's wing offer, he wants to be a fullback.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
His stats at fullback are average (not that stats mean much), he has been pretty average in the world cup, bombed a few certain tries. I think he could be great but right now he's overrated.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
he's been coached by a hick and atm is in a team that doesn't want him playing FB. He'll get better than he is now pretty quick

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't like to be the wet blanket ,but assuming we get one of the 3 we still have a long way to go as far as competing against the likes of the SBW and the rorters, storm, manly
Then there's the new guns in the warriors (sam tomkins) and that guy from Fiji who only started playing This year plucked from the obscurity of some Fijian hotel; Etonia Nabuli . He's playing in the panthers and scored 30 tries last year on his debut to the code.
I feel it's going to be a different kettle of fish from how we play, these guys are fast and we are pretty slow in comparison. our game is still the same as it was in 2012 minus the obstruction Thingy so I'm hoping DES has a new plan cause we are going to need it to compete.
Have to agree with Wolfmother. Whilst the Barba issue was a huge distraction and injuries and suspensions did railroad us a bit, the style of play/gameplan was not up to speed. Teams had our strategy pegged and Des needs to re-invent the wheel so we don't get our pants pulled down again.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully he is better at the Bulldogs. He has passion and puts his body on the line which is great, but his stats are pretty average. He can fire up one game then do nothing for a few weeks. On try scoring stats:

2013: 7 games at Fullback, scored 1 try
2012: 21 games at Fullback, scored 3 tries
2011: 16 games at Fullback, scored 6 tries including 3 in one game
2010: 19 games at Fullback, scored 7 tries
2009: 3 games at Fullback, scored 1 try
2008: 2 games at Fullback, scored 0 tries

Not a try scoring machine by any stretch but good at making line breaks. He has a habit of screwing up near the try line, most commonly he seems to hog the ball when a winger is open (like Morris always did to Goodwin)

That said I don't think we need someone who is brilliant in attack. I think we need someone who will put their body on the line and not let in too many tries.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score

Nothing has changed.
I dont know about major:grinning: that would be someone of slater/thurston standard. But a good signing nevertheless:grinning:

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
he's been coached by a hick and atm is in a team that doesn't want him playing FB. He'll get better than he is now pretty quick
^ This, people have to realise he is still raw even for his age. He has been coached by a very shitty coach who plays him on the wing or lets people of less skill take his position and in the world cup NZ are lucky to have such good proven players because their current coach is also a hick.

In my eyes Hoffman will be great because he can be moulded into what we need since he still is raw, he has the build (height, weight and strength) and athletic ability that people are after in a fullback these days. I hope we sign him because I'm sure he will be grateful to be given a chance to show what he can do and seems to be a good man with no off field troubles.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He has a lot of potential and finished last season killing it ,des will definately make him a star then titans will try to steal him lol

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know about major:grinning: that would be someone of slater/thurston standard. But a good signing nevertheless:grinning:
It's certainly not a major signing but none the less it's a better option than moving morris,inu or anyone else out of position and into FB. Hoffman does have some consistency issues but if anyone can get him playing to the best of his ability it is des.

N

Natboy

It's certainly not a major signing but none the less it's a better option than moving morris,inu or anyone else out of position and into FB. Hoffman does have some consistency issues but if anyone can get him playing to the best of his ability it is des.
Exactly. My thoughts summed up

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
Stated on the 10th of October that Hoffman was our man, it's a shame I can't show you, as I posted it in the infamous (now closed) 'Fullback Discussion' thread.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
Stated on the 10th of October that Hoffman was our man, it's a shame I can't show you, as I posted it in the infamous (now closed) 'Fullback Discussion' thread.
done mate:grinning: added your posts to the first page.

MrNiceGuy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Des will change the way we play.. its going to be very different. Although I still think our Graham's and Kasiano's will utilise their passing game, our attack will be slightly different. I wont be surprised if we see Hoffman sliding in from an angle like B.Stewart does and scoring/assisting tries this way. I'm sure des knew our attack was poor and we needed to change it. A good sign is Hodko having his first pre season since 2011.. it could be the one he needs.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If ferg goes to souths cant see anyone getting close to them besides the rorters and the nrl will achieve their "dream" grand final they craved so much this year. Both clubs pushing the limit of the cap and that is being understated.
with hoff i can see top 4 however no title ... Thats just my honest opinion.
however if we got both hoff an locke than boom

Status
Not open for further replies.