Bulldogs after Josh Hoffman #NoSurprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
Laugh now =), wait until Blue n White comes on here tonight and says it's Hoffman aswell.

Bulldogjem

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bulldogs yet to sniff out new fullback after Ben Barba departure
STUART HONEYSETT
THE AUSTRALIAN
NOVEMBER 19, 2013 7:20PM
CANTERBURY has admitted its fullback position is up for grabs with the club still struggling to find a suitable replacement for Ben Barba next season.

The Bulldogs have been on the hunt for a new No 1 ever since they released Barba from the remaining two years of his contract on compassionate grounds to follow his partner and two children home to Brisbane. Barba was subsequently snapped up by the Broncos.

Canterbury has been linked to a number of replacements including Brisbane's Josh Hoffman, who will have to surrender the fullback spot for Barba, and Warriors' Kevin Locke, who is about to be deposed from the No 1 jumper by Wigan's Sam Tomkins, but both trails have gone cold.

Canterbury chief executive Raelene Castle yesterday also ruled out the club making an approach to Blake Ferguson who is a free agent and without a club ever since walking out on Canberra before the end of the season.

"Blake Ferguson is not in our plans and we've come to the conclusion that we'll be better developing our own talent and the young talent that we've got instead of buy someone who doesn't really change the game for us from a fullback's perspective," Castle said.

"All of those players (Hoffman and Locke) are on contract and that's just where we'll leave it.

"In a perfect world you'd have someone immediately but unfortunately things don't always work out that way."

Castle said she still hasn't given up hope of luring a quality player to Belmore next year, pointing to former Warriors centre Krisnan Inu and former Sydney Roosters winger Sam Perrett who both joined the Bulldogs mid-season.

The club hasn't given up hope on either Hoffman or Locke and could still make a move for either player sometime down the track.

"Footy is a funny game in that things can change quickly," Castle said.

"I think that could happen once players get back from the World Cup because things have been put on hold.

"In the same way that we picked up Krisnan Inu halfway through a season 24 months ago we could be in the same situation with a fullback so you've always got to keep an open mind."

Until then the club will look within to fill the spot with Kangaroos centre Josh Morris the favourite after standing in for Barba when he was sidelined with injury this season. Morris might be reluctant to move as it could have ramifications for him playing centre for NSW.

Other options include Inu, Perrett, Mitch Brown, Drury Low, NSW Cup's Corey Thompson or Holden Cup's Pat Templeman.

"It definitely is up for grabs and already a couple of boys have put their hand up - not incessantly for the fullback position but just across the board for other positions in the team and that's a great situation for us to be in," Castle said.

Ads By Google
Belong ADSL2+ Broadband
No Lock-In, Easy Set Up, Money Back Guarantee. Available NSW Metro Only

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would love to see Josh at the dogs. I honestly believe he would thrive behind a pack like ours. He's a power house with speed and strength as well as being an excellent finisher. Not sure why people were so against him joining us when the rumours first came around.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For the million dollar question ?? I'm gonna 'Locke' it in Eddie.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
In a perfect world we should sign Locke as well:grinning: problem is they both want to play fullback.

"But at this stage we don't want to release him." =AT THIS STAGE. I remember those 3 words from the Barba story and we saw what happened there.....deja vu.

Griffin saying we aren't releasing him, as opposed to a Broncos official saying at this stage...implies there is some miscommunication between them, or that Griffin's days at Brisbane are numbered...as he is been completely ignored:grinning:

Bulldogjem

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
In a perfect world we should sign Locke as well:grinning: problem is they both want to play fullback.

"But at this stage we don't want to release him." =AT THIS STAGE. I remember those 3 words from the Barba story and we saw what happened there.....deja vu.

Griffin saying we aren't releasing him, as opposed to a Broncos official saying at this stage...implies there is some miscommunication between them, or that Griffin's days at Brisbane are numbered...as he is been completely ignored:grinning:
Also love how Raelene says that things can change pretty quickly , and it might happen after the World Cup . I believe we will sign someone soon

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its turned into a bloody poker game.. Bluff after Bluff! Raelene is playing a good game I must admit whilst Brisbane and the Warriors still think they could squeeze some money out of the dogs.

We will end up with one... All I know is Hoffman is spewing he didn't sign with the cowboys and Locke is spewing the warriors bought Tomkins.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Chase have a run at the back to be honest or even Templeman.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Ferguson over Hoffman and Locke all day every day.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The question is WHY has it taken this long to "look around". Barba was gone half way through last season, why weren't we making enquiries then BEFORE we released him?

cLEBrity

Mujnoon
Reaction score
Both those articles are going to make Hoffman and Locke desperate to sign with us, neither wants to play on the wing, but going by those photos during WC with Hoffman and our boys , everyone knows you make a bond with your team mates.
I believe it will be Hoffman and than the Broncos V Dogs will be a sell out come round 1.
both clubs will sell this game like there's no tomorrow

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the words of mark Goldberg .... AND HERE WE GO!

Love for kevin Locke to come.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also.... You gotta love our bruise brothers. So proud to be able to call them bulldogs. Top blokes and hope they stay with us forever.

MrNiceGuy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Also.... You gotta love our bruise brothers. So proud to be able to call them bulldogs. Top blokes and hope they stay with us forever.
You can imagine what they went through with Penny Barba. They would do anything in their power to get Hoffman on board. It will be a kiwi dominated culture at the dogs now, which from the videos on Instagram, I have no problem with.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we haven't resolved the fullback situation by the beginning of the next season I'm worried that it could impact on player cohesion. The last thing we need is another disrupted start.

I wonder what magic these clubs weave that allows them to hold onto star players after they relegate them to second billing.

N

Natboy

Canterbury chief executive Raelene Castle yesterday also ruled out the club making an approach to Blake Ferguson who is a free agent and without a club ever since walking out on Canberra before the end of the season.

"Blake Ferguson is not in our plans and we've come to the conclusion that we'll be better developing our own talent and the young talent that we've got instead of buy someone who doesn't really change the game for us from a fullback's perspective," Castle said.
I can't believe Raelene is contradicting what pssstt said & instead confirming what I said I was told by her office months ago and was laughed at! What a biatch!
It's obvious we will get Hoffman but the hypocritical broncos are playing hardball to get back at us for us claiming compensation for Barba

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mole has tweeted Hoffman is a done deal. Signed sealed and delivered!

Bowen

New Pup
Reaction score
Expect the Knights Dane Gagai to follow him in 2015. That was the word around town a few months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.