Bulldogs 3 player's short of top 4

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
To be fair you’re talking top 2 prop. Top 5 fullback and halfback.
Thats exactly right mate, don’t also forget the Panthers had no JFH and if you factor in from previous years have lost Chrichton, Kikau, Api, Burton, May etc but keep on ticking along and roll out the next one on the production line.

Can’t underestimate pathways and development, it’s the key to sustained success.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Swap ado-Carr for Zac Lomax. Give Zac the reins to fullback. He would make a good fist of it. Aggressive, good yardage. Safe under highball. this solves the one. Still need a 7 and prop.

1. Lomax
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. Critta
5. Wilson or Skelly
This would be considered a win for Flanagan and a win for Gould. Flanagan would reckon Gus is Santa giving out a free present. Saints have players in the three quarters who make metres out of trouble so a luxury like Fox becomes a huge asset. They lack a second speedster alongside Sloan. I didn't watch much of last Sunday nights games I did see some of the highlights and what I saw was Hammer and Bostock burning them with speed. Flanagan would see this as a win. Gould loves the buy, swap and trade game so he would see this as a win. Gould actually is a big fan of Lomax.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Last night the broncos without THEIR NUMBER 7, 10 and 1 played equivalent to what the bulldogs have dished out the last 3 weeks. I would even go as far as we have defended better especially in the game against the sharks to what Brisbane defended last night.

In saying that what Brisbane showed us last night is with a game breaking fullback and 1 representative front rower and an experienced number 7 that team goes from grandfinalists to missing the top 8. (Saying that the players they missed last night did not play the rest of the season)

This is the measuring stick for the current bulldogs team. No matter who we purchase.
If we don't have the 1, 7 and 10 we will stay where we are and not improve. Then put into consideration a few injuries, the bulldogs will remain a bottom 4 team regardless of effort.

We can talk about changes, we can talk about the coach, we can talk about Phil Gould.
The matter remain simple, the BULLDOGS need to either buy the players in above position and or at least be able to bring up 1 or 2 players in the next season or 2 that are representative level or we will always remain how we have been the last 7 or 8 years.

M.Z

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
Really good post mate and great observation, Brisbane looked very average without 3 of their key men in those positions (middles give you territory, halves direction and creativity, X factor gives you strike).

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I WOULD give this a go, mahoney to 7 and Kurt Mann to Hooker.
What do we have to lose?

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Need a halfback and that’s contingent on Burton stabilising and making the 5/8 spot his. More than 3 though need more quality in the middle Kings our first choice prop would be 3rd best in most competent packs. Hopefully Papali and/or one of the younger halves prospects take one of the spine spots. If not it’s a big ask finding a top 5 FB and premiership winning potential half. It’s Cleary, Reynolds then daylight Hynes and Moses aren’t anywhere near that calibre. Have to produce our own halfback or a premiership will be a big ask.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Need a halfback and that’s contingent on Burton stabilising and making the 5/8 spot his. More than 3 though need more quality in the middle Kings our first choice prop would be 3rd best in most competent packs. Hopefully Papali and/or one of the younger halves prospects take one of the spine spots. If not it’s a big ask finding a top 5 FB and premiership winning potential half. It’s Cleary, Reynolds then daylight Hynes and Moses aren’t anywhere near that calibre. Have to produce our own halfback or a premiership will be a big ask.
We're waiting for Woods/O'Neill to come through and then we're hoping they're good enough. There are no quality halves to sign so it's stop gap solutions and pray. Papalii similar at fullback. I guess fingers crossed they're both ready by 2026... we're also going to need another 3-4 middles to help them (either through recruitment or development). That's also just for a top 8 chance.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We're waiting for Woods/O'Neill to come through and then we're hoping they're good enough. There are no quality halves to sign so it's stop gap solutions and pray. Papalii similar at fullback. I guess fingers crossed they're both ready by 2026...
It’s astonishing how desolate the halves department is in footy these days. If we can at least produce one of a FB/HB we can acquire the final piece in the modern day especially if you’re not Brisbane/roosters etc it’s a pipe dream building the A side. Papalii absolutely looks the good I don’t pay much attention to reggies but from what I’ve seen the only concern is when to release him I think 2025 is realistic.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night the broncos without THEIR NUMBER 7, 10 and 1 played equivalent to what the bulldogs have dished out the last 3 weeks. I would even go as far as we have defended better especially in the game against the sharks to what Brisbane defended last night.

In saying that what Brisbane showed us last night is with a game breaking fullback and 1 representative front rower and an experienced number 7 that team goes from grandfinalists to missing the top 8. (Saying that the players they missed last night did not play the rest of the season)

This is the measuring stick for the current bulldogs team. No matter who we purchase.
If we don't have the 1, 7 and 10 we will stay where we are and not improve. Then put into consideration a few injuries, the bulldogs will remain a bottom 4 team regardless of effort.

We can talk about changes, we can talk about the coach, we can talk about Phil Gould.
The matter remain simple, the BULLDOGS need to either buy the players in above position and or at least be able to bring up 1 or 2 players in the next season or 2 that are representative level or we will always remain how we have been the last 7 or 8 years.

M.Z

Ciraldo will stick with the same mob baring injury ,his stubborn process is calculated for wins against the titans and south’s , have faith

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're waiting for Woods/O'Neill to come through and then we're hoping they're good enough. There are no quality halves to sign so it's stop gap solutions and pray. Papalii similar at fullback. I guess fingers crossed they're both ready by 2026... we're also going to need another 3-4 middles to help them (either through recruitment or development). That's also just for a top 8 chance.
Papali has that Ben barba flair about him

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
IMO all it might take is the ONE player to turn our fortunes around, someone like NAS is such a player...
Our current forwards are a hard working lot, all that's needed is an ALPHA !!!
Fullbacks an halfbacks we have options both experienced or potentials, it's just a matter of finding the right combination.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who would make more of a difference to our team? I'll go the later and yes would have paid overs. I'd rather strengthen our spine (particularly our 7) and middles than our NSW Cup team and see us defend slightly better but still lose games

Hutchison
Salmon
Turpin
Tracey
Taaffe
Curran
Poasa
Tetevano

total equals about 2.4M

OR
Moses and Tino ?

1 Crichton
2 Skelton / Wilson
3 Kiraz
4 Xerri
5 JAC
6 Burton
7 Moses
8 Tino
9 Mahoney
10 King
11 Kikau
12 Kautoga
13 Preston

Last edited:

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd say about 5 players with the spine the major concern and at least 2 top props

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Who would make more of a difference to our team? I'll go the later and yes would have paid overs. I'd rather strengthen our spine (particularly our 7) and middles than our NSW Cup team and see us defend slightly better but still lose games

Hutchison
Salmon
Turpin
Tracey
Taaffe
Curran
Poasa
Tetevano

total equals about 2.4M

OR
Moses and Tino ?

1 Crichton
2 Skelton / Wilson
3 Kiraz
4 Xerri
5 JAC
6 Burton
7 Moses
8 Tino
9 Mahoney
10 King
11 Kikau
12 Kautoga
13 Preston
Moses and Tino would of been at least 1.4m each. I personally rather the overs in key positions strategy tho. 1.2m for AFB probably more realistic than Tino (I think it was a higher chance of happening + better value). I've been saying this since 2020. We should be offering May 700k+.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I WOULD give this a go, mahoney to 7 and Kurt Mann to Hooker.
What do we have to lose?

If we’re looking for a point of difference with what we have, Hughes needs to start at Prop, Papalii to fullback, Sexy to 7.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Moses and Tino would of been at least 1.4m each. I personally rather the overs in key positions strategy tho. 1.2m for AFB probably more realistic than Tino (I think it was a higher chance of happening + better value). I've been saying this since 2020. We should be offering May 700k+.
We’ve been recruiting for volume in the past few years, we should be loading up on a couple of star players as opposed to multiple average ones on my opinion.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We’ve been recruiting for volume in the past few years, we should be loading up on a couple of star players as opposed to multiple average ones on my opinion.
It's almost too late now (for 2025 and 2026). Once May's off the market our best bet is probably going to be signing multiple players again (e.g. Hunt, Mooney, Egan Butcher, Willison).

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Swap ado-Carr for Zac Lomax. Give Zac the reins to fullback. He would make a good fist of it. Aggressive, good yardage. Safe under highball. this solves the one. Still need a 7 and prop.

1. Lomax
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. Critta
5. Wilson or Skelly
No no no no no. Why is Zac looking for an out? He is kicking rocks because he doesn't want to play wing. Fuck that! You buy in to the coaches team and coaching philosophy, or you fuck off. There's no way I want a player holding our club over a barrel because the fucking princess wants to play a different position.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Chrichton must be average to you I guess.