Bulldogs 3 player's short of top 4

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Last night the broncos without THEIR NUMBER 7, 10 and 1 played equivalent to what the bulldogs have dished out the last 3 weeks. I would even go as far as we have defended better especially in the game against the sharks to what Brisbane defended last night.

In saying that what Brisbane showed us last night is with a game breaking fullback and 1 representative front rower and an experienced number 7 that team goes from grandfinalists to missing the top 8. (Saying that the players they missed last night did not play the rest of the season)

This is the measuring stick for the current bulldogs team. No matter who we purchase.
If we don't have the 1, 7 and 10 we will stay where we are and not improve. Then put into consideration a few injuries, the bulldogs will remain a bottom 4 team regardless of effort.

We can talk about changes, we can talk about the coach, we can talk about Phil Gould.
The matter remain simple, the BULLDOGS need to either buy the players in above position and or at least be able to bring up 1 or 2 players in the next season or 2 that are representative level or we will always remain how we have been the last 7 or 8 years.

M.Z

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I tend to agree with the thinking.

An 8/10 Fullback, Halfback and Prop added to our squad goes a long way from turning us into a bottom 5 team to a top 8 team.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Which is why its important you let every player in the team settle into their position by the time the weak links are sorted out.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Elite props and spine players rarely hit the open market and when they do they aren't interested in coming to a rebuilding team ... it will take time but I truly believe some of our juniors hold the key to our future success. It may be a long shot but if everyone stays with the club and develops we may one day see a spine competing for premierships with
1. Joash Papalii
6. Joseph O'Neill
7. Mitchell Woods
9. Mason Phillips
Throw in some other guys like Alatini, Todd, Marshall and the Seve brothers to go with the young talent we already have in Crichton, Xerri, Preston, Hughes etc and our long wait may finally be worth it as these young guys could form a successful team for years.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You could probably argue most teams outside the 8 are a few quality players away from the top 4. The problem is finding those players when there are less and less quality halves and hookers coming through each year.

Thankfully our junior set-up looks like in the next year or two we can finally have some top tier playmakers coming through with Woods, Papalii etc as well as some quality forwards..

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
Just look at the pathways Gus set up in Penrith and look at the results. They have lost so many players due to salary cap and they are still a major force.

Results won't happen overnight but just as with Penrith if the club maintains and expands the junior system we will return to the force we once were.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
You right, a fukin 1, a fuckin 7 and a fuckin 10. And at this rate, they way Mahoney is playin, you can say we need 4 more players. Don't get me wrong, he got retards along side bar Max King. And no fuckin disrespect to the others. But Mahoney, Mann, Salmon, Morrin in the middle. No wonder why Mahoney gets burnt out. Ain't no one to take the load off in D. Watch big dick Max King burn out by round 10

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agreed, if we attracted top flight 1,7 and Prop then we’d be set. But it would only take 1 IMO to elevate us back into the top 8. I reckon a Haas, JFH or alike would see King, Hughes etc go up another level. That momentum from up front would be enough to give our 9 & 7 more momentum, time and space and our outside backs are as good as any. The top flight 7 & 1 would be fantastic and put us back into premiership contention quickly but I feel like it all starts with the alpha Prop and I’d be willing to break the bank for a good one.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just look at the pathways Gus set up in Penrith and look at the results. They have lost so many players due to salary cap and they are still a major force.

Results won't happen overnight but just as with Penrith if the club maintains and expands the junior system we will return to the force we once were.
Your on the money mate, the only way forward as a club is to develop our own, as someone mentioned earlier, a stack of clubs are 3/4 good players away from being a top 4 team, and we all know the clubs that have those caliber of players won’t release them, so the only way is produce your own, we’re lucky to have Gould who’s the best in the business at building junior funnels.

We mention the Panthers as the benchmark when it comes to development and having a production line of talent, but that was us, in 2002 we won 17 games straight, that was our time, if it wasn’t for ridiculous salary cap management we’d of won multiple premierships, the point I’m making is we had the production line of young talent and were killing it in the development area, so we can do it again, that’s what past management and a certain coach let dissolve away, our precious junior funnels, and that’s what’s being rebuilt.

Funny how things go when you’re winning, the football gods shine on you and put you up against the Bronco’s with no Reynolds, Haas, or Walsh … when we play them they’ll probably be at full strength ..

Was impressed with Willison from the Bronco’s, wish we could entice him to join our young talent that’s coming through as a future leader ..

Sent from my iPad using The Kennel mobile app

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have to agree with those saying our juniors are producing spine players who look on par with the best coming through.

We've been unearthing/scalping the best juniors in key positions young in recent years. Aside from that we've been expanding the regions where we have our tentacles out. And given that we're starting to get junior premierships again it points to us having a better standard of reserves available at the minimum.

It looks like we're going to bring through some quality spine players soon. But the real value of a good production line is in being able to hold onto those key players long term and cycle though the solid players that aren't going to be of significant importance on their own. When a junior hits the point where they're receiving big money offers, we'll hopefully have decided if they're going to push into the top 17, and if they're not likely to, we'll hopefully be in a position to wave goodbye without much stress and bring the next prospect in to fill the gap.

If we're regularly transitioning players into the NRL it'll ensure good youngsters want to learn their trade here.

cuzza

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Stick with the utility vision it's working well so far ;)

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Add 2 good props to our team and we're top 8.

Add a halfback and we're top 4.

Add a fullback and we're contenders.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Could make an argument that our entire spine isn't good enough right now. Starting prop. Some would even argue King (they're crazy). Lock. That's 7 players from the starting 13. Could then say 2-3 of our bench also aren't good enough and that's up to 10 of our 17.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could make an argument that our entire spine isn't good enough right now. Starting prop. Some would even argue King (they're crazy). Lock. That's 7 players from the starting 13. Could then say 2-3 of our bench also aren't good enough and that's up to 10 of our 17.
We blew up our 2021 roster, we still haven't found a fullback, we still don't have a halfback, we haven't snared a big name prop, there's doubts over the best position for our 5/8 and we've downgraded our dummy half.

Relying on players in our junior grades is very wishful thinking as the strike rate for NRL progression isn't the greatest.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last night the broncos without THEIR NUMBER 7, 10 and 1 played equivalent to what the bulldogs have dished out the last 3 weeks. I would even go as far as we have defended better especially in the game against the sharks to what Brisbane defended last night.

In saying that what Brisbane showed us last night is with a game breaking fullback and 1 representative front rower and an experienced number 7 that team goes from grandfinalists to missing the top 8. (Saying that the players they missed last night did not play the rest of the season)

This is the measuring stick for the current bulldogs team. No matter who we purchase.
If we don't have the 1, 7 and 10 we will stay where we are and not improve. Then put into consideration a few injuries, the bulldogs will remain a bottom 4 team regardless of effort.

We can talk about changes, we can talk about the coach, we can talk about Phil Gould.
The matter remain simple, the BULLDOGS need to either buy the players in above position and or at least be able to bring up 1 or 2 players in the next season or 2 that are representative level or we will always remain how we have been the last 7 or 8 years.

M.Z

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
I agree with most of what your saying, but I think you also don't give enough credit to the mental fortitude that is needed to win games in the NRLol. IMO Brisbane probably went into that game last night thinking they were already a little behind the 8 ball given they were without Haas and Reynolds. And when they then lost Walsh they just dropped their bundle. They looked and played like they had already lost.it looked like they almost gave up.
My point is, you can put yourself in games with the right attitude and level of commitment. It doesn't only come down to the players in your team. We will improve massively as the year goes on, so long as we can remain relatively injury free.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Swap ado-Carr for Zac Lomax. Give Zac the reins to fullback. He would make a good fist of it. Aggressive, good yardage. Safe under highball. this solves the one. Still need a 7 and prop.

1. Lomax
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. Critta
5. Wilson or Skelly

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yep one of the worst spine in the comp, number of factors play into this though.

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
Stick with the utility vision it's working well so far ;)
It is well known there is a shortage of halves and props, the market is competitive, look at Tigpies having to pay 1.2m for Luai, he isn not worth that money but because they are on the struggle bus like us they have to pay overs.

We are where we are cause of years of mismanagement, and it will take years to get out of it.