Bulldogs 2016 - Salary Cap Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
We have been fined by the NRL - Same with Raiders

The Canberra Raiders and Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs have been fined for breaches of the salary cap last year.

NRL Chief Operating Officer Nick Weeks said the breaches were at the lower end of the scale but would still result in financial penalties for the clubs involved.

He said the NRL would impose the following sanctions:

• The Canberra Raiders (the club breached the second tier by $2,598 and the NYC top 20 cap by $8,093 for a total breach amount of $10,691).

The club has a poor record of compliance with the salary cap rules, having recorded breaches in five of the last six years.

As a result, the club has been fined 150 per cent of its breach amount ($16,037).

The club has also been fined $68,073 for breaches of the NRL ($1,622) and NYC ($66,451) caps in 2015.

• The Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs (the club breached the NRL cap by $81,965 in 2016).

Given the breach was self-reported by the club, which has subsequently upgraded its governance structure, the NRL has imposed a fine of 75 per cent of the breach amount ($61,474).

Mr Weeks said the clubs had five business days to request that the NRL Appeals Committee review the determinations.

Last edited:

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nothing in it 81k over. We dobbed ourselves in . Moving along

Chat soon

Reactions: DT

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We have been fined by the NRL - Same with Raiders

More to come..

wtf tho LOL we are fken shit
That relates to Lloyd Perrett from last year and had something to do with a car and the fact that he was to be released but then he reneged. We reported the breach and it has been dealt with. Cool your jets....

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
This is what I dont understand.

yes this is a nothing breach, and i clearly remember this from last year.

How then, can we;
buy Woods for big money
Buy foran for big money
offer hoppa an upgrade
backend Grahams contract
offer tolman and beast decent sized contracts

only offset by;
losing reynolds- after offering him half a mil, which was a payrise.
losing reserve grad grade prodigy lloyd perrett
maybe losing 300k player michael lichaa

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This is what I dont understand.

yes this is a nothing breach, and i clearly remember this from last year.

How then, can we;
buy Woods for big money
Buy foran for big money
offer hoppa an upgrade
backend Grahams contract
offer tolman and beast decent sized contracts

only offset by;
losing reynolds- after offering him half a mil, which was a payrise.
losing reserve grad grade prodigy lloyd perrett
maybe losing 300k player michael lichaa
Mate, you do understand how a clock and calendar works don't you? We don't need to be under next years cap until next year. We are not paying anything for Woods/Foran this year so it doesn't matter. There is also the small matter of the cap going up by over a million next year at the very least. That, plus other player movements between now and the end of the year will see a different team in place for the new Cap.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate, you do understand how a clock and calendar works don't you? We don't need to be under next years cap until next year. We are not paying anything for Woods/Foran this year so it doesn't matter. There is also the small matter of the cap going up by over a million next year at the very least. That, plus other player movements between now and the end of the year will see a different team in place for the new Cap.
Dont be a smartalec.

NRL wont just register contracts with the explanation of 'dont worry, we will figure out a way to offload a high priced player like Greg Eastwood next year to squeeze under'.

ASSUME Makes an ASS out of U and ME and with the dogs track record, there is no way in hell the NRL would take that chance. Besides, I dont think Eastwood would budge because no one would offer the same cash.

The cap is going up by 1 mil, to accomodate 5 extra players in an extended squad of 30. The minimum wage for the fringe platyers is rising 55k.
By your million dollar figure, assuming all extra players are minimum wage then in reality its only closer to a half mil increase, not even.

YOUR maths arent adding up. Mine is. I didnt even touch on Mbyes percentage raise in my post. Im speaking on facts here.

There is clearly something going on which we dont know about.

Someones contract is skewed to the end, someone on a reportedly big deal isnt actually. Someone we think is contracted next year actually isnt.

But, what?

-Nasheed.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nasheed, we also released Curtis Rona and tony Williams contract finished which was fairly large. Oh and Sam perret retired.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The Bulldogs found they where going to be in breach by 1% of the cap and reported it to the NRL, this isn't really new news, it was reported last year when it happened. It's surprising it took the NRL 6 months to finalise the matter, seems like that should happen faster when the club themselves tells you about it.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Dont be a smartalec.

NRL wont just register contracts with the explanation of 'dont worry, we will figure out a way to offload a high priced player like Greg Eastwood next year to squeeze under'.

ASSUME Makes an ASS out of U and ME and with the dogs track record, there is no way in hell the NRL would take that chance. Besides, I dont think Eastwood would budge because no one would offer the same cash.

The cap is going up by 1 mil, to accomodate 5 extra players in an extended squad of 30. The minimum wage for the fringe platyers is rising 55k.
By your million dollar figure, assuming all extra players are minimum wage then in reality its only closer to a half mil increase, not even.

YOUR maths arent adding up. Mine is. I didnt even touch on Mbyes percentage raise in my post. Im speaking on facts here.

There is clearly something going on which we dont know about.

Someones contract is skewed to the end, someone on a reportedly big deal isnt actually. Someone we think is contracted next year actually isnt.

But, what?

-Nasheed.
There's that St Joey's english working again... There is no assumption on my part, just logic. The cap is already at $9.14m for next year and rising so that will see $1.5m extra, maybe more. Don't know where the extra $55k comes from, there is nothing in any of the information published that talks about the 2nd tier cap going up by that amount. currently it is at $85k and so there will be an extra 5 of them. We've already lost Reynolds this year and a few players that have already been mentioned from last year like the Perretts and had you read what I wrote you would have seen that I indicated that others would be going. Even by your own identification those that are/have gone are valued at over $1m pa, so that puts us around $2.5m under before we look at who else may be going. That is the entire point of the CAP. The talent gets evened out be ensuring if you buy you have to sell. Sitting here in May talking about how we have problems with a Cap that doesn't even kick in for 7 months is illogical, particularly if you have no idea about how the club is using the existing cap and what payments are being made.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
There's that St Joey's english working again... There is no assumption on my part, just logic. The cap is already at $9.14m for next year and rising so that will see $1.5m extra, maybe more. Don't know where the extra $55k comes from, there is nothing in any of the information published that talks about the 2nd tier cap going up by that amount. currently it is at $85k and so there will be an extra 5 of them. We've already lost Reynolds this year and a few players that have already been mentioned from last year like the Perretts and had you read what I wrote you would have seen that I indicated that others would be going. Even by your own identification those that are/have gone are valued at over $1m pa, so that puts us around $2.5m under before we look at who else may be going. That is the entire point of the CAP. The talent gets evened out be ensuring if you buy you have to sell. Sitting here in May talking about how we have problems with a Cap that doesn't even kick in for 7 months is illogical, particularly if you have no idea about how the club is using the existing cap and what payments are being made.
Squads increasing from 25 to 30.
Minimum wage from 85 to 125. Its been negotiated with RLPA already.
So we have 125x5=625k
Hypothetically 10 ***** in the existing squad ALSO on existing min wage then thats another 550k.

so thats 1.175 thats been racked up already.

So these are my guesses based on imperfect info.

Eastwood payrise from '16 to 18 450 to 600 (+150k dif)
Graham payraise from 600 in 16 to 900 in '18 (+300k dif)
Hoppa from 150 (maybe less) to about 600 in '18 (+400k dif
Foran in 18 is 750k - 400k Reynolds 2016 =(+250k)
16 Tolman 300k to 400k in 18 (+100k)
Woods 800k in 18 -600k 16 trex money (+ 200)
Curtis Rona 350k in 16 - 125 is (-250)
Lloyd Perrett 250k in 2016 -125 min wage player in '18 (-125k)
And Im certain Moses mega deal started last year and is INDEX LINKED to the cap.

I havent covered others yet but i imagine no one else up for renewal will get a decrease.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Squads increasing from 25 to 30.
Minimum wage from 85 to 125. Its been negotiated with RLPA already.
So we have 125x5=625k
Hypothetically 10 ***** in the existing squad ALSO on existing min wage then thats another 550k.

so thats 1.175 thats been racked up already.

So these are my guesses based on imperfect info.

Eastwood payrise from '16 to 18 450 to 600 (+150k dif)
Graham payraise from 600 in 16 to 900 in '18 (+300k dif)
Hoppa from 150 (maybe less) to about 600 in '18 (+400k dif
Foran in 18 is 750k - 400k Reynolds 2016 =(+250k)
16 Tolman 300k to 400k in 18 (+100k)
Woods 800k in 18 -600k 16 trex money (+ 200)
Curtis Rona 350k in 16 - 125 is (-250)
Lloyd Perrett 250k in 2016 -125 min wage player in '18 (-125k)
And Im certain Moses mega deal started last year and is INDEX LINKED to the cap.

I havent covered others yet but i imagine no one else up for renewal will get a decrease.
Perhaps you should check your sources. The RLPA want $120k but the NRL have held at $90k. In any event the figures don't add up to the $55k you mentioned. So even if we allow the middle ground of say $100k that's only $15k per person more than it is now or $150k in total in terms of increases plus 5 extras which all up equals $650k not $1.175m. Good news I've just paid for foran and got change from Reynolds contract. As for the rest of it, the truth is the individual players probably don't know what they actually signed a contract for let alone us and given the level of scrutiny that clubs are under I am comfortable that we are either colouring inside the new lines or will before 2018 starts, which was the point of my response.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Perhaps you should check your sources. The RLPA want $120k but the NRL have held at $90k. In any event the figures don't add up to the $55k you mentioned. So even if we allow the middle ground of say $100k that's only $15k per person more than it is now or $150k in total in terms of increases plus 5 extras which all up equals $650k not $1.175m. Good news I've just paid for foran and got change from Reynolds contract. As for the rest of it, the truth is the individual players probably don't know what they actually signed a contract for let alone us and given the level of scrutiny that clubs are under I am comfortable that we are either colouring inside the new lines or will before 2018 starts, which was the point of my response.
We had the same end point but with different reasoning.

You believe the maths adds up.
I believe the figures fed to us have been wrong.

Interesting to see what pans out.

*spits hand* offers to shake and move on with @Oatley Dog ?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just Now

Canterbury and Canberra have been slugged with fines by the NRL for salary cap breaches.

Canterbury have been fined $61,474 for breaching the NRL cap by $81,965 last year, with the NRL saying the fine was 75 per cent of the breach amount because the club had self-reported.

Canberra were fined $16,037 for breaches of the second-tier and NYC caps from last year in addition to a $68,073 fine for breaches of the 2015 NRL and NYC caps.

The NRL says the Raiders have a poor record of compliance with salary cap rules having recorded breaches in five of the last six years.

Canberra's chief executive Don Furner said "unforeseen circumstances" were to blame for the variety of breaches over the two years.

"Due to changes to the club's rosters during this period and injuries which forced squad changes, the club was forced to make some unplanned player movements which have forced minor breaches of the salary cap," Furner said in a statement.

He said the club would continue to work with the NRL to manage the salary cap in accordance with the rules and regulations.

"It's unfortunate that we've had to endure these fines, but the club accepts the NRL decision regarding these breaches," he added.

The clubs have five business days to request a review from the NRL Appeals Committee.
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nr...ach-involving-raiders-bulldogs?station=sydney

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bulldogs and Raiders in salary cap trouble
Roar Guru

By Connor Bennett, 16 May 2017 Connor Bennett is a Roar Guru & Live Blogger

The Canberra Raiders and Canterbury Bulldogs have been fined by the NRL Salary Cap auditors for breaches made across the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

The Bulldogs exceeded the cap last year by more than $80,000 and have been hit with $61,474 worth of fines.

For the Raiders, their breaches came across the 2015 and 2016 seasons in the NRL, National Youth Competition and second tier levels of the club.

They copped a $16,037 fine for going more than $10,000 over at NYC level but were hit with a much larger $68,073 fine for breaches made in 2015 across both the NRL and NYC sides.

According to NRL Chief Operating Officer, Nick Weeks, the Raiders breached the second tier level by $2,598 and the NYC cap by just $809.

The bulk of the damage has come from their NYC side, where they went over the cap in 2015 by $66,451 as opposed to just $1,622 for the NRL side.

While the Raiders were handed 150 per cent of the breach amount for having recorded breaches in five of the last six years, the Bulldogs were given leniency and fined just 75 per cent of the breach for self-reporting the incident.

The clubs have five business days to request a review from the NRL Appeals Committee.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the club has reviewed the situation and will work with the NRL to get this sorted out sooner rather than later.

“The Raiders have reviewed the breaches handed down from the NRL Salary cap auditors for the 2015 and 2016 seasons, which relate to circumstances surrounding the clubs second tier and NYC Salary Caps,” said Furner.

“Due to changes to the club’s rosters during this period and injuries which forced squad changes, the club was forced to make some unplanned player movements which have forced minor breaches of the salary cap.

“The Raiders continue to work with the NRL to effectively manage the Salary Cap in accordance with the rules and regulations. It’s unfortunate that we’ve had to endure these fines, but the club accepts the NRL decision regarding these breaches.”

The Bulldogs are yet to comment.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/05/1...heroar/rugby-league+(The+Roar+-+Rugby+League)

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rob said | May 16th 2017 @ 12:47pm | ! Report

Old news in regards to the Bulldogs breaching the salary cap hence the leniency in the fine they have received. I’m pretty sure the Dogs reported this towards the end of last year once they realised the number crunching was wrong but were going over the figures to ensure the right amount is reported.

What is fascinating is how a team can be over 5 out of the last 6 years?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I seem to remember this was self reported by our club having something to do with Lloyd Perrett? If this is the case it is old news.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/11/30/bulldogs-breach-nrl-salary-cap-report

30 Nov 2016 - 8:00 PM UPDATED 30 Nov 2016 - 8:00 PM

Canterbury are reportedly in breach of the NRL salary cap to the tune of about $100,000.

The Seven Network on Wednesday evening reported the Bulldogs, some months ago, had discovered that they were over the cap for 2017 and alerted the NRL.

Canterbury face a probable hefty fine over the breach.

The original figure is believed to have been up to $160,000.

Bulldogs CEO Raelene Castle, however, has told Seven News she's confident it will be less than $100,000 by the time final numbers are crunched within a few weeks.

By self-reporting to the NRL, it is anticipated Canterbury will be fined an amount equivalent to the final breach amount, rather than being hit with a possible deduction of premiership points.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gray-Hand said | May 16th 2017 @ 2:26pm | ! Report

It tends to happen when more players than expected meet their performance incentive targets. It can happen to any club, particularly in circumstances where there are injuries to top talent which lead to players who were only meant to play a handful of games playing more than half a season.

It can also happen when a third party sponsor that makes payments to players becomes a club sponsor. Often a few payments will get made to a player in circumstances where they have to be counted as part of the cap.

Most clubs, especially the wealthy ones are already pretty close to the top of the cap, so it doesn’t take much to bump them over.

It isn’t deliberate, and it doesn’t really give an unfair advantage, so neither the NRL or the clubs make a huge big deal out of it, but it is a definite breach of the rules, so it does get penalised.

Status
Not open for further replies.