Bulldogs 2008/2009: Player Contracts, Signings & Rumours.

Votes: 2 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I thought the club said no more recruitments???
They said that is the end of our major recruitments and signings. So we still will probably make a few more minor signings.

viking63

CANTERBURY BULLDOGS
Reaction score
Who said we are after Ryan OHara, we should try to keep the players who are sticking with the club thru the tuff times. Hickey and Armit have really stepped up this year. I think we should try to keep them both.

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Unforunately I don't think Chris Armit will be here next season, unless he takes a reduced offer to what he can get elsewhere... we now have Hannant, Tsoulos, Leaneo and Hickey for props for 2009.. if Jaza re-signs, which I hope he does.

Which is why I reckon O'Hara would only be a good signing if he comes cheap and for depth... a few weeks ago, I'd say sign him... but with Hannant on board, we are starting to get to a stage where we are going to be paying a fair chunk of money for players who will play NSW Cup in 2009... :(

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Armit >> Leaeno IMO

Leaeno is big for nothing.
Yes Dogaholic.. however, Charlie is signed for next season, where as Chris is off contract... but if you are just voicing an opinion... I have to agree off this years form with you there... well not the last part, the first part...:p

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With a season as a starting Prop under his belt Hickey will be a different player next year.
Can't believe we'd let another starting prop go...what have we become, the competition's prop factory?

Keep Hickey.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With a season as a starting Prop under his belt Hickey will be a different player next year.
Can't believe we'd let another starting prop go...what have we become, the competition's prop factory?

Keep Hickey.
Saints are pretty good at that also: Bailey, Kite, White, Sims, and others.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
......and we go after LEANO!!!
Haha, well we went after Sims, he would have been good, he has improved alot their is Brisbane, but supposedly he went there cos his 15 year old brother who is supposed to be a gun forward of the future moved up there to play.

Belmorebro

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Armit >> Leaeno IMO

Leaeno is big for nothing.
Leaeno has just come back from injury and needs a couple of games under his belt to get back to match fitness. Armit on the other hand had only just started playing up to his potential before getting injured.

Before his last couple of games, Armit would run up for a hit-up, then slow down just at the point of impact. I thought he was nursing an injury the way he was hitting the line soft.

Its a bit hard to split the two at this stage, give Leaeno a couple more games, then we'll see who's better value between the two.

In either event, we have enough troops coming back from injury (Morrin, Tsoulos, Cleal and D. Williams) and coming up lower grades to cover them both in 2009. Hickey and Hannant should start in first grade.

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
I believe with a bit of patience, Leaeno can definitely become a top Prop. He is massive and for the limited time he did play against Melbourne, i thought he showed some good signs. At the moment, I would choose Hickey and Armit over him.

But let's not forget how Hickey started off as a inexperienced FG player. He lacked match fitness and seemed to have a heavy arse, as in he was slow and unfit. But a little perseverance from Folkes and we have a prop who is on the improve week in week out, and I definitely believe that, if given the chance, Leaeno will become better than Hickey.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I believe with a bit of patience, Leaeno can definitely become a top Prop. He is massive and for the limited time he did play against Melbourne, i thought he showed some good signs. At the moment, I would choose Hickey and Armit over him.

But let's not forget how Hickey started off as a inexperienced FG player. He lacked match fitness and seemed to have a heavy arse, as in he was slow and unfit. But a little perseverance from Folkes and we have a prop who is on the improve week in week out, and I definitely believe that, if given the chance, Leaeno will become better than Hickey.
Leano when he burst onto the scene with Saints was destructive and an animal. He looked like he could have been anything. Then he fell of the map, played all of last year in Reserves, and has done the same since coming here. Surely with Charlie it is an attitude and work ethic thing, hopefully last weeks FG appearance will be the wake up call Charlie needs to realise how good he can be and how he has a great opportunity here to make a career for himself.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Leano when he burst onto the scene with Saints was destructive and an animal. He looked like he could have been anything. Then he fell of the map, played all of last year in Reserves, and has done the same since coming here. Surely with Charlie it is an attitude and work ethic thing, hopefully last weeks FG appearance will be the wake up call Charlie needs to realise how good he can be and how he has a great opportunity here to make a career for himself.
Yeah ok, but do we have to continuously go rummaging through the bargain basement bin at ALDI to find our players?

We used to be the BEST at identifying talent no so long ago....signing players with unfulfilled potential due to injuries &/or attitude problems and expecting them to come good with us is risky and hasn't yielded much success for us recently.

I really hope Charlie comes good....soon!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah ok, but do we have to continuously go rummaging through the bargain basement bin at ALDI to find our players?

We used to be the BEST at identifying talent no so long ago....signing players with unfulfilled potential due to injuries &/or attitude problems and expecting them to come good with us is risky and hasn't yielded much success for us recently.

Haha, dunno mate, I was commenting on Charlie as a player, not our recruitment policies. Can't be bothered getting into all of that for fear that it will turn into an agenda thread, but I agree to some extent, but at the same time we have got some good finds out of those players and have some busts also. But you don't know if you don't try, and they cost nothing, so the risk/reward ratio is always in the clubs favour.

Lets hope, as you said, Charlie ends up being a success story rather than a bust.

By the way, the bargain bin at Aldi would be really, really cheap and low quality would it not? I mean that is some no frills sh*t right there!

Also I like your Ari avatar, big Entourage fan, been hanging out for the new season for ages! Boom!

Belmorebro

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Whats wrong with ALDI? We got Joe Williams and Nick Youngquest there, they're good value. :grinning:

Belmorebro

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Jennings got offered an extension from penrith, but it was a crappy offer.

He's lookin at a club in QLD atm.

Dont think the dogs have approached him yet. They should, cause he's currently listening to other offers.
Just daydreaming about a Morris/Jennings centres combination at the Dogs. Are you kidding? We haven't had two speedsters in our backline since.... forever. We'd definitely convert more of our NRL-leading linebreaks into tries if we can get Jennings. Morris/Jennings won't hurt our cover defence either.

We've got a good mix of massive props, mobile ball-playing backrowers and creative halves. Now we need to address our need for size and speed in our backline.

How much cash is left in the kitty? If we have enough left, we should chase Jennings and chase him hard.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just daydreaming about a Morris/Jennings centres combination at the Dogs. Are you kidding? We haven't had two speedsters in our backline since.... forever. We'd definitely convert more of our NRL-leading linebreaks into tries if we can get Jennings. Morris/Jennings won't hurt our cover defence either.
We've got a good mix of massive props, mobile ball-playing backrowers and creative halves. Now we need to address our need for size and speed in our backline.

How much cash is left in the kitty? If we have enough left, we should chase Jennings and chase him hard.
I'd like to see that!

DOGGOD

Blue Guru
Reaction score

How good what that be but what would happen to winitana? Winger maybe? I certainly would not complain provided we keep our key players and player retention

Status
Not open for further replies.