Builders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just want to find out any recommendations on the big builders. The missus and I are looking around atm.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Going for a double storey. Cheapest one we've found is with Coral Homes. 37sq house for base price of about 298k
Few things to take into consideration, the cheapest can in a few years turn into the most expensive. Personally i would stay the fuck away from most of those home mobs when theres a chance to cut a corner they will , but that dont mean a private builder doesn't come without dramas either.
Remember Reasearch Reasearch Reasearch

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also do a quick check on coral homes on product review. They seem to be below average at best . Maybe ask @Blue&White for some advice he knows his stuff
I'm not a builder but am in the property development industry. Some project home providers are ok. They don't miss on the extras. At the very minimum I would be going for higher ceilings (this effects resale value the most). Lots of other things to look out for. PM me and I'm happy to help where I can.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not a builder but am in the property development industry. Some project home providers are ok. They don't miss on the extras. At the very minimum I would be going for higher ceilings (this effects resale value the most). Lots of other things to look out for. PM me and I'm happy to help where I can.
You forgot to tell him if he is greek concrete lions out front are not a selling point nor do they add value to your house lol

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to check out Masterton today. I know they have standard 2.7 metre ceilings. Probably will sting you in other areas though as in $$$. Will I be wrong to assume on site costs will be around the 35-40k mark?

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Few things to take into consideration, the cheapest can in a few years turn into the most expensive. Personally i would stay the fuck away from most of those home mobs when theres a chance to cut a corner they will , but that dont mean a private builder doesn't come without dramas either.
Remember Reasearch Reasearch Reasearch
My in laws went with a private over a decade ago and told us to stay clear. Had too many problems apparently.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to check out Masterton today. I know they have standard 2.7 metre ceilings. Probably will sting you in other areas though as in $$$. Will I be wrong to assume on site costs will be around the 35-40k mark?
Used to do a lot of work for masterton be careful cheap asian labor on tiling gyprocking and painting .another thing find is they use mdf for their fix outs instead of pine mdf is fucking rubbish as soon as water or mostiure gets into it its fucked

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used to do a lot of work for masterton be careful cheap asian labor on tiling gyprocking and painting .another thing find is they use mdf for their fix outs instead of pine mdf is fucking rubbish as soon as water or mostiure gets into it its fucked
I'm pretty sure it's pine treated. I'll double check though. How about McDonald Jones??

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's pine treated. I'll double check though. How about McDonald Jones??
Flip a coin lol some good some absolute nightmares. I think the main problem is people that go into to display homes thinking they will get exactly that in a certain time frame for a certain cost. This rarely ever happens bad weather ,late deliverys ,sick days can add weeks onto the original time.
Costs can blow the fuck out . Even if its meant to be all part of the "package" somewhere along the line an unexpected cost is going to hit and hit hard

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
beachwood and wincrest dont even bother you will end up killing yourself before lock up stage.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Going for a double storey. Cheapest one we've found is with Coral Homes. 37sq house for base price of about 298k
Interested to hear about kennelers' experiences with home builders.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Something seriously needs to be done for housing affordability in Australia.
All you people in relationships,paying off a house, raising kids, paying bill after Bill, I've got NFI how you all do it?
But hats off to you, even though I am not in your situation.
I can only imagine how hard it is and always wonder to myself,what your secret is?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Something seriously needs to be done for housing affordability in Australia.
All you people in relationships,paying off a house, raising kids, paying bill after Bill, I've got NFI how you all do it?
But hats off to you, even though I am not in your situation.
I can only imagine how hard it is and always wonder to myself,what your secret is?
I'm going to live in a shoe box when I leave home lol.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flip a coin lol some good some absolute nightmares. I think the main problem is people that go into to display homes thinking they will get exactly that in a certain time frame for a certain cost. This rarely ever happens bad weather ,late deliverys ,sick days can add weeks onto the original time.
Costs can blow the fuck out . Even if its meant to be all part of the "package" somewhere along the line an unexpected cost is going to hit and hit hard
Yeah, I've built before and I told myself never again. Lol. It was several years back. Much smaller house at a base price of 179k. On site costs, driveway, landscaping and upgrades/options, the tender contract ended up being atleast 60k more. You need to limit yourself on the upgrades if possible. That's what I learnt. I rushed into that and got burnt.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Driveway and Landscaping is not in the builders contract

Status
Not open for further replies.