Opinion Brooks to Dogs ?

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All because Tigers take our scraps, doesn't mean we have to return the favour

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind seeing how Brookes would fare under a Bennet or Bellamy not sure if he would be a good thing in a struggling side.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've never really watched Luke Brooks closely but I reckon he's got all the skills of a great halfback, maybe it's just the shitty club that he's playing for. Look at the individuals who left the Tigers and went onto become better players like Tedesco, Moses, Koribete, JAC, Fifita, Nathan Brown, Papenhauzen.

He's definitely not a dud like Flanagan. I'd take a punt on him but not on marquee money.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Burton was 7 next to luai against storm he also got mom that game. May at 7 panthers struggle with anyone next to him.

I like Avo but he’s been a little underwhelming at 7. BBO is the one I’d love to see in 7, he seems like he’s handle it just fine.
I like Avo too. I think he's been thrown into the deep end based purely on his natural ability and the fact we are struggling for options. Hope for his sake with Burton coming and some other new additions to the team he can have a better 2022. At the moment it looks like he is just treading water.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
a
I don’t mind the idea. Avo hasn’t convinced me as a 7 to be honest.
Depends on what Gus reckons, I’m placing all my faith in him
agreed. averillo is a fullback/centre not a half but brooks hasn't played or lead his team to the finals yet. (but it is the tigers) it would be interesting to see how he would go with stars all around him like we will have next year.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's amazing how many average players look half decent there.
Not copping the weekly pummelling must at least be a bit of the reason why? It's a less defensively structured game with more time to set up attacking structures. The refs are better and its more enjoyable to watch atm due to that IMO :grinning:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've never really watched Luke Brooks closely but I reckon he's got all the skills of a great halfback, maybe it's just the shitty club that he's playing for. Look at the individuals who left the Tigers and went onto become better players like Tedesco, Moses, Koribete, JAC, Fifita, Nathan Brown, Papenhauzen.

He's definitely not a dud like Flanagan. I'd take a punt on him but not on marquee money.
I agree Moe.. technically the kid is great and he has that competitive nature. Prob is he has confidence issues but like you said at an always failing team you lose your edge. Brooks at a top 4 club would excel in my opinion...

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
LINK: How Wests Tigers have botched Brooks' career

How Wests Tigers have botched Brooks' career
Tim Elbra 28 mins ago

Wests Tigers have botched Luke Brooks' halves role throughout his time at the club, legendary halfback Peter Sterling says.
With Brooks being touted to exit the Tigers, despite denials from coach Michael Maguire, Sterling said that the No.7 had always been miscast as an organising halfback.
Once hailed as the next Andrew Johns, Brooks instead developed into a running halfback who has been shackled by organisational duties, Sterling told Wide World of Sports.
Asked on Sterlo's Wrap if Maguire using Brooks as the organising half was not the right move, Sterling replied: "I don't think it ever has been.
Luke Brooks holding a football ball: Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks during a first round loss to Canberra.
© Getty Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks during a first round loss to Canberra.
"I thought that he was playing well alongside Moses Mbye just for those couple of weeks there, because Moses was more that player and Adam Doueihi has shown ... the great thing about Adam Doueihi is that he wants the football and he straightens the attack and he's a young player who's only going to grow more into the role.

"We know what kind of player Luke Brooks is now. He's not going to change. You're not going to change him because you'd be doing a disservice.
"If a club is looking for a running halfback who was prepared to play second-fiddle to another playmaker, he's your man.
"I still think he's a first-grader and I still think his best football is yet to be."
Brooks has been linked with Cronulla and Canberra. A club that could put complementary players around Brooks may get the best out of him, Sterling said.
"A club that's probably got the right mix around him in regards to the five-eighth, the back of the scrum. Someone who's looking for a running halfback that's not necessarily an organising halfback. Someone who is a left-foot kicker, which can complement someone who kicks to the right side as well," Sterling said.

"There are a lot of components there but realistically, it's about a club that's got the right people that he would fit into but needs a No.7 who's not going to be your organising half, probably first and foremost.
"He's a runner of the football, he's better when someone else calls the shots and that's why Adam Doueihi has been such a success when he's played in the six jersey."
a close up of Luke Brooks: Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks.
© Getty Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks.
Brooks has not played finals football for Wests Tigers despite being in his ninth season at the club, with 165 NRL games to his name. The club has already recruited Jackson Hastings for next season, a move that heightened speculation around Brooks' future.
"Maybe their patience is obviously getting thin," Sterling said.
"There's a lot of talk about Wests Tigers at the moment in regards to recruitment and who might be coming and who might not.
"Luke Brooks has been under pressure for a long, long time. Some of it has been warranted.
"I think he hasn't had the right people around him for a fair part of that but if they can't see him in a photo on the wall of a team that plays finals football, then you look elsewhere.
"I like him as a player. I still don't think he's necessarily been utilised properly and I don't think the right people have been around him.
"He's 26 now, he's got a lot of first grade under his belt, hasn't played finals football in his time there, so it's a huge concern.
"I'm not that surprised. For a team that's running where they are and the amount of talk about recruitment and possible replacements, no, I'm not surprised in that context."
Brooks has been cp Tim Sheens, Mick Potter, Jason Taylor, Ivan Cleary and Maguire while at Wests Tigers.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Brooks, but if it were to happen, why not swap both Flanno and Elliot for Brooks.
With Elliot it will justify them losing out on TPJ.
IMHO we would'nt lose anything if both Flanno and Elliot departed, and we may gain something by having Brooks.

Last edited:

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not convinced on Brooks
Seems to be a lady side dominant player which Burton is also so we can’t have that.
Also feel Burton’s running game is more potent then Brooks, so we just need a half who will get the side to where we need to be for Burton to play in oppositions half. Avirello I think can fill the role of just like to see him develop his passing game further and pass at the line more

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
The ONLY way I’d take him is in a straight swap for Flanno. Otherwise hit the brix