Opinion Brooks to Dogs ?

MIR-PROD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s called seeing what our supporter base thinks and a point of discussion. Isn’t that the whole point of a forum ? Dickhead
I asked a question , look at the response of 95% of people to this. You’re obviously very happy in your personal life to be losing it and going around calling people Dheads for asking questions. Have a great day buddy!

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked a question , look at the response of 95% of people to this. You’re obviously very happy in your personal life to be losing it and going around calling people Dheads for asking questions. Have a great day buddy!
Yep and I answered your question. 95% have the Same response as me I wouldn’t want Brooks.
Hahahhaa you call this losing it ? You haven’t seen anything then mate. You must live in fairy land.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No stick with averillo
It’s a no to Brooks but Averillo just isn’t a half. Doesn’t organise, doesn’t create and kicking game is a third string kicker. He will be a project longer than Brooks in the halves. We don’t have that long.

Avo is a tough one. He is a runner of the ball. If only he could improve dramatically on his defence and ability to read the attack coming at him. He could be a good centre.

BBO should be thrown into the 7 jersey now for the rest of the year. He is the one we should be developing.

Avo to 14. His chances of learning to defend in volume in the middle as a 9 is his best chance to become a Good NRL player.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being shopped around by the tigers, with Hastings joining them next year they will be desperate to offload Brooks and pay some freight. Would anyone take him to partner Burton next year ? No more than 400k of course.
We don’t need any of the tigers culture at our club,and we should persist,with our own,even at $300k no thanks.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brooks will probably head to Broncos or Dragons I reckon.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Averillo has been playing behind a forward pack that doesn't win the contact battle and is therefore always on the backfoot. Chuck Cleary, Jahrome Hughes, DCE or Sam Walker in our side and we have similar issues. If we can't go forward, there is no point criticising the backs. Signing Brooks, Johnson or whoever isn't going to change that. Not even Burton. Need to announce some forwards that get over the ad line asap.
I think you can criticise backs to a point. In the small amount of times we get into the opponents red zone how well do they do? It's probably coaching or lack thereof that they seem to do the same things & other teams know it. It's when players do something off the cuff like Lewis' chip 'n chase last week that we catch them off guard. But you are right that the forwards make it really difficult for them. Napa is an Origin rep & really should be leading the way, but has been found desperately wanting which is why nobody wants him next year even for $300k.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You scared me with the title. On min wage & getting rid of either Flanagan or Wakeham or both I would do it. He would be better off in the UK. He is going to have to lower his wage expectations significantly.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brooks is highly underrated . Dally M half back of the year. All star honours. Top three Dally m player of the year. Ask yourself .. will Avo, whackman or the Flang ever reach those heights? … I didn’t think so …. Yes to Brooks from me ..

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Averillo is not a halfback. He is a 5/8th in a team with an organising halfback and/or hooker. The balance with him, Burton and JMK/BBO is way off. We need someone that can lead the team, organise the play and help Burton with kicking on the last.

For mine, we aren't going to get the best out of Burton if he is tasked with doing all the organising and kicking. He simply isn't ready.

When Penrith played Parramatta without Cleary, Luai really struggled playing alongside May. The dynamic was not the same and it didn't really allow him to play his normal game.

I don't like Reynolds and I wouldn't want him at the Dogs but he is perfect for Cody. They will struggle next season without a smart operator in the 7 because Cook is a running 9 as well.

I don't know what the answer is but lets take a look at some average/decent halfbacks that helped get their teams to grand finals:
- Sezer with Wighton and Hodgson.
- Townsend with Maloney and Ennis.
- Croft with Munster and Smith.

All organisers with kicking games that basically played second fiddle to more talented play makers in their teams. I'm not saying Brooks is the answer here either. Maybe not relying on him to be our star is the right way to get the best out of him though? I don't know but if I was Burton I would rather play alongside Brooks or Flanagan than Averillo.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Averillo is not a halfback. He is a 5/8th in a team with an organising halfback and/or hooker. The balance with him, Burton and JMK/BBO is way off. We need someone that can lead the team, organise the play and help Burton with kicking on the last.

For mine, we aren't going to get the best out of Burton if he is tasked with doing all the organising and kicking. He simply isn't ready.

When Penrith played Parramatta without Cleary, Luai really struggled playing alongside May. The dynamic was not the same and it didn't really allow him to play his normal game.

I don't like Reynolds and I wouldn't want him at the Dogs but he is perfect for Cody. They will struggle next season without a smart operator in the 7 because Cook is a running 9 as well.

I don't know what the answer is but lets take a look at some average/decent halfbacks that helped get their teams to grand finals:
- Sezer with Wighton and Hodgson.
- Townsend with Maloney and Ennis.
- Croft with Munster and Smith.

All organisers with kicking games that basically played second fiddle to more talented play makers in their teams. I'm not saying Brooks is the answer here either. Maybe not relying on him to be our star is the right way to get the best out of him though? I don't know but if I was Burton I would rather play alongside Brooks or Flanagan than Averillo.
What's your answer to Hughes and Munster then? The Storm are blowing teams off the park with 3 fullbacks and a so called lock at hooker.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We should give BBO a fair go for this year and see the amount of promise he shows before making any further decisions.

Brookes is worse than SJ and much more inconsistent and lacks the same flair as him. He really is a bandaid solution

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should give BBO a fair go for this year and see the amount of promise he shows before making any further decisions.

Brookes is worse than SJ and much more inconsistent and lacks the same flair as him. He really is a bandaid solution
Can someone please explain to me why Barrett persists with Averillo at halfback when he is not an organiser and has a pathetic kicking game...why doesn't he give BBO a chance at halfback for the rest of the year with to see what he offers. FFS we are coming last! Who cares if we win another game. this is the ideal time to blood him. he may be our long term answer to halfback and can be paired with Burton. Stuff looking at signing Brooks or another expensive half back. And if lewis is not going to be re-signed then don't use him! I don't want to lose BBO...he honestly seems like a real talent!

Jam

Scanlens Gum
Reaction score
If we are targeting a half we should go after Dylan Brown

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What's your answer to Hughes and Munster then? The Storm are blowing teams off the park with 3 fullbacks and a so called lock at hooker.
Hughes took a long while to adjust and also had to battle it out with Croft, which the Storm could afford to do because they had Smith at hooker and Munster was already established.

If they tried to blood Hughes now into that role with a rookie 5/8th it would be a much more difficult progression. Notwithstanding they are also superbly coached.