News Broncos table $2.8M mega offer in desperate bid to keep gun centre

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brisbane has reportedly tabled a massive four-year offer to off-contract star Kotoni Staggs in a desperate bid to keep him at Red Hill.
Staggs, 22, has a contract clause in his favour for 2022 but he hasn’t activated that yet, meaning he could walk away from the Broncos at the end of this season.

He’s reportedly being courted by a number of rivals including the Titans, Bulldogs, and Eels.

He could earn as much as $800,000 a season at one of those clubs but Brisbane is banking on him staying in the Queensland capital for less.

Still, it’s certainly not peanuts they’re offering.

The Courier Mail reports the Broncos have tabled a $2.8 million contract to the Tongan international centre, equating to $700,000 per season.

It comes less than a week after the Broncos lost rising star fullback Reece Walsh to the Warriors, but a day after they managed to re-sign boom backrower Jordan Riki.

Staggs is currently out with a long-term injury and is due back mid-season.

He is expected to make a decision on his football future within weeks.

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Staggs is a great player but returning from an ACL injury has an element of risk, can't see Brisbane offering 4yrs and bumping up his current contract by $300k extra a year, ... nice addition to have in your backline but $600-625 maximum is enough risk considering he is still young.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He is a fantastic player. In the top 2 centres of the game for me (manu, him) id have Crichton and best close too to be honest.

I’d love him here and with the money hoppa is on it wouldn’t be that much worse to be honest.

I’m also slightly concerned about his injury and how he returns but he’s young and a Fucking absolute beast. His defence has been a concern though I also think that the team he’s with is a major factor and how bad that’s been for a while.

Anyway I also don’t think we are a chance now if they are throwing 700k at him for 4 years. It’s not at all overs and if we could of realistically got him
For that I’d of been thrilled. Though I think for him to leave Brisbane he will want 800k+. Who knows broncos are as bad as us and we are at least on the way out of that shit fight with Jac and burton and Thompson returning or joining. Broncos are ficked for years with ***** like lodge eating their cap and if they are paying guys like staggs rika and the other kid we want 400k etc they are going to have nothing left to actually improve.

Who knows maybe staggs might want to head back south. Him and Jac would be the most exciting back pair we have had since barba and jmoz on 09!

Although Jac Allan cotric is exciting days ahead especially if our own young beast kicks on and lives up to the hype.

We also need a hooker as our most urgent Fucking recruit.

Dogahol

Waterboy
Reaction score
Is Alamoti even fast/elusive/agile or is he just bigger than the other kids?

I've seen highlights but not enough to get excited. Who is he similar to in the NRL

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
At 700k-800k you are gun hooker/game changing second rower/top 5 half money.

I think he is a phenomenal talent and in a league of his own at centre (you’d take him over Mitchell any day of the week). But with so many gaps in our roster he isn’t the player to be chasing.

If we had rep players scattered across our 17. And we were a top 5 team, then fair enough he could power you to a premiership. But a team that has missed the 8 for 4 years running and avoided the spoon last year on for and against. Then a 800k centre isn’t the player that will turn you around.

Broncos are throwing some big coin around. Best case scenario is they lock up staggs for 700k pick up Pikachu for 400 over 3 year. Then we swoop in a get Hass and Coates :p baby Inglis would look good In our backline at half the price of staggs.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t rate Coates at all
Feet for hands and shirt grabber defender
We got cotric and fox at a good price
We could piss off floppa and Meaney and with there 600 and 300 combined freed up sign staggs and another quality outside back

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is Alamoti even fast/elusive/agile or is he just bigger than the other kids?

I've seen highlights but not enough to get excited. Who is he similar to in the NRL
brillaint attacker and offload avail
Can’t defend to save his life
Been always a year ahead since he was 12 years old
I’m 99% sure he’s still only 17 years old
By the age of 20
Should be in first grade

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s a mammoth offer LOLLLLLL $700k is craziness for a team if you listen to the whispers is struggling with the salary cap. He won’t leave Brisbane for a mere $100k extra. You can put a line through that signing.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
1 year getting back to full form blthr the Broncs lose 1 year, the next 3 yrs at least 2 of those years the Bronx are fighting to avoid the spoon. Staggs loses there. 3 out the 4 is misery either way for 700k doesn't make sense to me. Let him go and sure up your juniors for less. But that's just me . His welcome at the dogs but not at 800k. Unless there are TPA. In 2yrs we are competing for the 4 . In 3 we are a premiership threat. Take less and achieve more.