Brett Finch

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is a disgraceful characterisation of a medical field filled with good caring people who work hard to help people in genuine need. Any industry has bad people, but talking about mental health care like this is akin to characterising all Dogs fans based on the one idiot that turned up at court wearing a dog's jersey.

It is thoroughly disgusting to see you say something like this.
I was put on anti depressants at 12 because the psychologist thought my condition at the time was related to a traumatic incident I had experienced in the past.. they used regression therapy to find the event..My parents blamed themselves when they in fact did nothing wrong..
They told me that it's possible that I had supressed it so far that I was unwilling to face it.
To this day I cannot recall the traumatic incident if there was one at all!

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a disgraceful characterisation of a medical field filled with good caring people who work hard to help people in genuine need. Any industry has bad people, but talking about mental health care like this is akin to characterising all Dogs fans based on the one idiot that turned up at court wearing a dog's jersey.

It is thoroughly disgusting to see you say something like this.
Quote of the day.

Somehow i feel like I could apply this post to so many threads on the kennel.

Promoting balance, consideration and independent thought before sensationalist labelling and judgement.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was put on anti depressants at 12 because the psychologist thought my condition at the time was related to a traumatic incident I had experienced in the past.. they used regression therapy to find the event..My parents blamed themselves when they in fact did nothing wrong..
They told me that it's possible that I had supressed it so far that I was unwilling to face it.
To this day I cannot recall the traumatic incident if there was one at all!
A few points:

1. I'm sorry you've experienced this. However your personal experience can never justify a wholesale attack on a whole industry/profession. I had trouble while high school aged and saw both a psychiatrist and a psychologist, who both got the diagnosis wrong. The psychiatrists was worse, practically slanderous. About five years later he got busted by his own wife having sex with clients and got debarred and sent to jail. I don't know what happened to the psychologist who got it wrong. Bottom line is the first one was criminal and got caught, the second one was trying to do her job but got it wrong, and NEITHER of them represent their field or profession.

2. Psychologists can't prescribe medication of any kind, they can't even recommend them. No psychologist could put you on anti depressants.

3. Regression therapy, repressed memories, memory recovery are widely regarded as bogus within the field of psychology. The concept reached its height in the 1990s, I'm guessing that was when you experienced it, however it was mostly practiced by "therapists", most of whom didn't have anything like the level of education psychologists have to have in order to be properly registered. Regression theory is based on some concepts put forward by the famous Sigmund Freud. Though there are psychologists in Australia who take Freud seriously, they are few and far between. Psychologists today are expected to emphasise evidence-based approaches to therapy, and can get into a lot of trouble if they don't. Freud famously never bothered collecting empirical evidence for any of his theories, he mainly gets attention in current modern psychology textbooks because he got a couple of things right (e.g his concept of the unconscious mind), because his theories were influential for a time, so it is important to understand them, and because many of his lesser known ideas are good examples of what NOT to do. If you got treated by a Freudian therapist you are somewhat unlucky, they are a vanishing breed in Australia.

4. The field of research that uncovered the fallacy of repressed memories was psychology. Check for example research done by Elizabeth Loftus on memory. We have psychology to thank for debunking that particular idiocy.

5. Just be glad you aren't George Franklin or his daughter Eileen.

Bad things happen to people all the time, and often because someone was trying to do what they thought was good and helpful. You might think that your post is helpful, but if someone reading it decides they won't go and see a mental health professional about the lengthy depressed mood they have been experiencing or their sleepless anxiety filled nights or their suicidal ideation, all of which are eminently treatable with help from well trained mental health professionals, well you've hardly helped them have you?

And no, you most likely didn't have a traumatic experience when you were young. The evidence is you'd remember at least part of it without any particular therapy needed to help your memory. You don't say what your condition was, but you can always take one diagnosis to the bank: human.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A few points:

1. I'm sorry you've experienced this. However your personal experience can never justify a wholesale attack on a whole industry/profession. I had trouble while high school aged and saw both a psychiatrist and a psychologist, who both got the diagnosis wrong. The psychiatrists was worse, practically slanderous. About five years later he got busted by his own wife having sex with clients and got debarred and sent to jail. I don't know what happened to the psychologist who got it wrong. Bottom line is the first one was criminal and got caught, the second one was trying to do her job but got it wrong, and NEITHER of them represent their field or profession.

2. Psychologists can't prescribe medication of any kind, they can't even recommend them. No psychologist could put you on anti depressants.

3. Regression therapy, repressed memories, memory recovery are widely regarded as bogus within the field of psychology. The concept reached its height in the 1990s, I'm guessing that was when you experienced it, however it was mostly practiced by "therapists", most of whom didn't have anything like the level of education psychologists have to have in order to be properly registered. Regression theory is based on some concepts put forward by the famous Sigmund Freud. Though there are psychologists in Australia who take Freud seriously, they are few and far between. Psychologists today are expected to emphasise evidence-based approaches to therapy, and can get into a lot of trouble if they don't. Freud famously never bothered collecting empirical evidence for any of his theories, he mainly gets attention in current modern psychology textbooks because he got a couple of things right (e.g his concept of the unconscious mind), because his theories were influential for a time, so it is important to understand them, and because many of his lesser known ideas are good examples of what NOT to do. If you got treated by a Freudian therapist you are somewhat unlucky, they are a vanishing breed in Australia.

4. The field of research that uncovered the fallacy of repressed memories was psychology. Check for example research done by Elizabeth Loftus on memory. We have psychology to thank for debunking that particular idiocy.

5. Just be glad you aren't George Franklin or his daughter Eileen.

Bad things happen to people all the time, and often because someone was trying to do what they thought was good and helpful. You might think that your post is helpful, but if someone reading it decides they won't go and see a mental health professional about the lengthy depressed mood they have been experiencing or their sleepless anxiety filled nights or their suicidal ideation, all of which are eminently treatable with help from well trained mental health professionals, well you've hardly helped them have you?

And no, you most likely didn't have a traumatic experience when you were young. The evidence is you'd remember at least part of it without any particular therapy needed to help your memory. You don't say what your condition was, but you can always take one diagnosis to the bank: human.
Psycho doggie I'm guessing you've got some formal knowledge and experience about the profession? And if you don't I'm impressed with the content of your post.

The mental health industry as you have pointed out consists of both medical and clinical practitioners , if you are a drug user and are being weaned off heroin you are prescribed methadone by a mental health Doctor , then are referred to clinicians such as Case managers, psychologists, therapists Clinical nurse practitioners etc.. Somewhere along the line they do explore why you have chosen to use heroin, it doesn't take much to know that neglect /possibly poor living conditions, environmental factors could all play a part. This is where the patient becomes the victim . I have seen many drug users with similar traits, feeling entitled to cab charges, fit packs, morphine etc..

Its a character that's common in mental health patients so I feel I have not been irresponsible in pointing this out.

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wolfmother and Psycho Doggie.
Great posts. Interesting.

Wolfmother drug users who then feel justified or entitled do become awful to deal with. No doubt.

For me it’s the heroin user who is trying to hold down a job , trying to get by without the fuss or fanfare and certainly not the ones robbing people etc.

There is a sadness and a defeated lack of self worth that breaks my heart for them. There attempt at escape from pain is awful to even consider. And those are the ones I feel like need defending.

But obviously there is a full range of experiences in any sub group or classification of person

Banned
Reaction score
I feel society has largely been groomed to medicate adversity away, yet not accept the repercussions of said behaviour.
We still struggle to fathom that almost any drug in moderation and the right arena can be beneficial, in fact essential.