News Brandon Wakeham passes first test as Bulldogs half

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He didn't play HB because Barrett was told by Gus that he aint a HB's asshole

Now that Jake is playing 5/8 in cup, he should actually start to improve and expand his game
More info on this convo pls ;)

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Jake didn't even play halfback last night lol. These decisions are making less and less sense.
Yes for some unknown reason our club has this fetish with playing players out of position and it's hard to nail down why they go down these paths
Yeah I saw that.. And Okunbur in the centres.. It's more of the musical chairs and switching players positions, minutes and roles constantly which we saw last year. It only frustrates and confuses the players while hurting their form, development and confidence and that of the team because there's zero continuity.
Did I miss something, I could have sworn that we won 30 to 0, surely there can't have been that many "out of position players" based on that result. Either that or the players playing "in position" were extraordinarily effective.

Always a Bulldog

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that.. And Okunbur in the centres.. It's more of the musical chairs and switching players positions, minutes and roles constantly which we saw last year. It only frustrates and confuses the players while hurting their form, development and confidence and that of the team because there's zero continuity.
Na Okunbor played wing, was just named at centre but Kiraz played there. Jake was apparently defending in the backs at times, don't know for how long but thre could be something to it.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A few of us mentioned last week that we were worried about Baz's chopping and changing ways two weeks in, not necessarily with the decision itself. It was a huge problem of Baz's last year and I think that's the bigger issue than whether Averillo, Wakeham or anyone else is the best fit. Don't be surprised if Baz drops Wakeham in another week or two and goes back to Averillo..

Whoever he chooses, he needs to get Burton on the ball at first receiver on both sides of the field more. Then it wouldn't be as much of an issue as to who the halfback is.
I keep coming back to TPJ, the whole plan was to put him on an edge for a season, and it got blown up and changed an hour out from kick off?

I can understand it if there was some logic to it, but there doesn't appear to be..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes for some unknown reason our club has this fetish with playing players out of position and it's hard to nail down why they go down these paths
All clubs do it because development and coaching sucks, especially common with lower placed clubs because they suck even more. The best young players are almost always shifted towards key positions.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did I miss something, I could have sworn that we won 30 to 0, surely there can't have been that many "out of position players" based on that result. Either that or the players playing "in position" were extraordinarily effective.

Always a Bulldog
In Reserve Grade... Players changing positions or playing out of position was a weekly problem last year and so far the same thing is happening this season.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I keep coming back to TPJ, the whole plan was to put him on an edge for a season, and it got blown up and changed an hour out from kick off?

I can understand it if there was some logic to it, but there doesn't appear to be..
Yeah there's nothing wrong with playing him in the middle as he's better there but we're weak on the edges and he trained and prepared in the preseason there.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

TPJ best position is middle and the improved form of waddell on the edge was probably the reason

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Might explain his lack of involvement?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
In Reserve Grade... Players changing positions or playing out of position was a weekly problem last year and so far the same thing is happening this season.
Cup suffered the halves instability as much as firsts.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
In first grade Gary, in first grade!

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We've been doing it as a club for years due to the mediocrity we found ourselves in.

Prime example - Lachlan Lewis

Dud centre, 5/8, halfback, then face of the club lol

TPJ best position is middle and the improved form of waddell on the edge was probably the reason
Possibly.. but it still doesn't seem right to me. Its not like its an isolated version of Bazs musical chairs.
But if it is it shows Baz is out of depth. He brought Waddell in, should know exactly what he is capable of.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Maybe they have decided that Okunbour isn’t a winger and centre ‘might’ just suit is lack of ability to turn and chase better. Now he just needs to learn to fire up, run hard and tackle :grinning:

2thebone

Waterboy
Reaction score
He is not first grade standard. He has had many opportunities to showcase this.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So if we have been training with 2 running 5/8's and based all pre-season on this tactic, ala Sharks etc, then how is any of either Wakeham or Flanno supposed to fit into the team if they are the organising traditional halfback type 7?

BBO could adapt but he isn't ready.

Just more questionable coaching and clear as day potential stuff up to the team cohension, if/when, Avo gets injured or Covid.

Honestly Barrett's coaching is so exposed in deciding on this game plan theory, when we have so few players who can execute it, including JJ.

Either get rid of it or we neccessarily have to wait several more weeks for our players to miraculously adapt and find the skills.
I think you’re spot on.