Brandon Smith split between Roosters and Dolphins as new NRL home.

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
110% they are given salaries after footy...
No, it would be better if you were somewhat objective about what players are worth and what they're supposed to be on at the Roosters.. Do you think Friend was worth more than 400k on the open market? Don't you find it strange that so many rep players or top 5-10 players at their position stay for several hundred thousand dollars a year less per year to play for the almighty Roosters? Do you really think they'll forgo 500k plus over the life of a contract in a short career?

Or is it possible that "the Roosters set you up for life after your career" as Smith said is their way of cheating the cap?

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, it would be better if you were somewhat objective about what players are worth and what they're supposed to be on at the Roosters.. Do you think Friend was worth more than 400k on the open market? Don't you find it strange that so many rep players or top 5-10 players at their position stay for several hundred thousand dollars a year less per year to play for the almighty Roosters? Do you really think they'll forgo 500k plus over the life of a contract in a short career?

Or is it possible that "the Roosters set you up for life after your career" as Smith said is their way of cheating the cap?
Friend was coming to the end of his career and had played one origin match. His last contract in 2020 for 2 more years. It was 400K a season. The Roosters had Verrills as well.
I do find if humourous that so many fans have an unhealthy obsession about the Roosters salary cap whilst ignoring their own backyard.
Take a look at Souths for example. Their roster is star studded and they received shonky salary cap relief when GI and Burgess were medically retired. That was horse shit but rival fans accept it because it’s not the Roosters. What about Manly ?
DCE is on 1.2M Turbo 900K Jake 800K, yet that’s all fine.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Friend was coming to the end of his career and had played one origin match. His last contract in 2020 for 2 more years. It was 400K a season. The Roosters had Verrills as well.
I do find if humourous that so many fans have an unhealthy obsession about the Roosters salary cap whilst ignoring their own backyard.
Take a look at Souths for example. Their roster is star studded and they received shonky salary cap relief when GI and Burgess were medically retired. That was horse shit but rival fans accept it because it’s not the Roosters. What about Manly ?
Like I always say, Every smart team rorts somehow, the dumber teams either doesn't rort or gets busted.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've always thought that most teams cheat the cap to some degree. Some clubs just are smarter about it or better at it than others.

I just find it hilarious that Roosters fans can't even entertain the notion that they've ever cheated the cap when they've had more high profile players than any club for decades and most other clubs have been caught at some stage.

It's like my mate who used to always argue that Lance Armstrong wasn't doping. I said he has to be when every other cyclist gets caught, he came back from cancer and wins every Tour De France yet he's not doping as well? It's not possible. Lo and behold years later it was proven he was a massive cheat. The same principle applies here. How can everyone else be cheating the cap except for one of the most dominant clubs of the past 20 years?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Hey, Fam. Thought of the day - cheating the cap to sign Brandon Smith is like cheating at poker when you're playing for black jellybeans instead of money. Namaste

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always thought that most teams cheat the cap to some degree. Some clubs just are smarter about it or better at it than others.

I just find it hilarious that Roosters fans can't even entertain the notion that they've ever cheated the cap when they've had more high profile players than any club for decades and most other clubs have been caught at some stage.

It's like my mate who used to always argue that Lance Armstrong wasn't doping. I said he has to be when every other cyclist gets caught, he came back from cancer and wins every Tour De France yet he's not doping as well? It's not possible. Lo and behold years later it was proven he was a massive cheat. The same principle applies here. How can everyone else be cheating the cap except for one of the most dominant clubs of the past 20 years?
That’s hysterical. For decades , too funny. So by saying decades you must be including the 80’s and 90’s. Just wow. You might want to revisit that and examine Brisbane and Canberra“s roster. From 2005 to 2012 name the high profile players at the Roosters ?
By let’s run with the decades rhetoric.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That’s hysterical. For decades , too funny. So by saying decades you must be including the 80’s and 90’s. Just wow. You might want to revisit that and examine Brisbane and Canberra“s roster. From 2005 to 2012 name the high profile players at the Roosters ?
By let’s run with the decades rhetoric.
You do realise it's 2021? The Roosters have consistently been title contenders since the early 2000's. I'm not talking about the Craig Salvatori days. 20 plus years equates to decades.

If you want to keep your head in the sand and pretend that your club is squeaky clean while almost every other club cheats the cap with much worse rosters, then that's up to you. You can't try and reason with someone who is unreasonable.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do realise it's 2021? The Roosters have consistently been title contenders since the early 2000's. I'm not talking about the Craig Salvatori days. 20 plus years equates to decades.

If you want to keep your head in the sand and pretend that your club is squeaky clean while almost every other club cheats the cap with much worse rosters, then that's up to you. You can't try and reason with someone who is unreasonable.
So because a team were a title contender btw 2000 to 2004 they are cheating the cap. What about from 2005 to 2012 ? You didn’t answer my question. A lot of fans are envious and I get that. They crave for the same success as sides like the Storm and Roosters. The Dogs time will come. Just try to be a little more patient.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So because a team were a title contender btw 2000 to 2004 they are cheating the cap. What about from 2005 to 2012 ? You didn’t answer my question. A lot of fans are envious and I get that. They crave for the same success as sides like the Storm and Roosters. The Dogs time will come. Just try to be a little more patient.
I did answer your question. I said most teams cheat the cap. I'm not singling out the Roosters. You're the one in denial that most premiership teams during that time have been found to have cheated the cap. Everyone except the Roosters.. Funny how that works.

Enjoy B.Smith, Manu and Radley etc on their 250k contracts. I'm sure when they get moved on you'll claim they were on $1 million each. Clearly everyone forfeits hundreds of thousands for the love of the club.

I'm not jealous or worried about the Roosters. We're well on our way way being a force. I'm sure we'll cheat the cap again soon if we aren't already. At least I'll be honest about it unlike delusional Roosters fans who can't accept that they cheat like everyone else, but are just better at it. If anything it's a compliment to Politis and the Roosters. Just acknowledge it and move on.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

The Brandon Smith fallout continues to get messier, with a new revelation that the Melbourne Storm star had actually given “verbal guarantees” to the Dolphins.

After an extensive tour up and down the country, Smith was blown away by the Sydney Roosters, but not before reportedly committing to the NRL’s new franchise.

“He (Smith) had given verbal guarantees that he was going to commit to the Dolphins and do a deal there,” Ben Dobbin said on Triple M.

“The Dolphins dropped off Reed Mahoney for the simple reason that they believed that they were going to Brandon Smith”.

Smith is set to play out the final year of his contract in Melbourne before joining the Roosters, who won him over during a whirlwind trip to Sydney.

“It was actually mind blowing,” Smith said of his visit on YTKR’s The Ice Project.

“I can’t explain it … like I went and golfed with Jared, Aubo and Friendy, and Nick Politis was ringing them. He is over in LA on a business trip at the moment and he is ringing them up just to see how they are.

“And they spoke with so much passion about the club … I think the best thing about the Roosters, bro, they are about your life, not your footy.

“Like, they want you to be set for life. They don’t want you to walk away with nothing from rugby league. They just pushed that. They can tell you how they are going to help you with life … it was just mind blowing.”

With Reed Mahoney ultimately choosing the Bulldogs, and Smith choosing Sydney, the Dolphins are left to lick their wounds and ponder what’s next during a recruitment window that has massively underwhelmed.

Wayne Bennett and co. have so far only nabbed Felise Kaufusi, with Blayke Brailey and Siosiua Taukeiaho the latest to choose other options.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now official, 3 year contract. No mention of price of course.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He took unders to play there....as usual.
It's common sense that he'd take less to play for the Roosters then to play for a bottom team (obviously depends on the gap in offers). The Roosters are top 4 almost every year. They're one of the 3 dynasty clubs.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's common sense that he'd take less to play for the Roosters then to play for a bottom team (obviously depends on the gap in offers). The Roosters are top 4 almost every year. They're one of the 3 dynasty clubs.
Bulldogs - $900K
Rorters - $120K and some white powder