Rumour Brandon smith done deal

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't know why people are talking about $1 million for Smith when Melbourne only offered 650k. 750-800k plus TPA's should be enough to get it done.

BulldogYeezus

Waterboy
Reaction score
Is everyone delusional? Do any of you people listen to Gus' podcast? He has said the same thing the past two weeks - the Bulldogs salary cap for 2022 is now full and we have some issues for 2023 because our cap in 2022 is full - he has said this, likely because some players, including Burton, will need upgrades for 2023 and beyond. Then he also goes on to say that Cheese won't be leaving Melbourne because Melbourne don't lose star players unless they choose to, and they want to keep Cheese. So there is no way we are getting Cheese. I wish we could, but we can't - we don't have the cap space and Melbourne don't want to let him go.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is everyone delusional? Do any of you people listen to Gus' podcast? He has said the same thing the past two weeks - the Bulldogs salary cap for 2022 is now full and we have some issues for 2023 because our cap in 2022 is full - he has said this, likely because some players, including Burton, will need upgrades for 2023 and beyond. Then he also goes on to say that Cheese won't be leaving Melbourne because Melbourne don't lose star players unless they choose to, and they want to keep Cheese. So there is no way we are getting Cheese. I wish we could, but we can't - we don't have the cap space and Melbourne don't want to let him go.
We need to move players on then and it's still fine if it's for 23. If we don't get Cheese or another quality hooker it's more than likely we're finishing towards the bottom again (regardless if 22/23). The hooker's we've signed give me no more confidence then I have in someone like Deitz (basically none). Cheese wants to play hooker (can't do so at the Storm and if he can that opens up Grant) and more money is enticing to anyone, no delusion there. The Storm didn't want to let Hynes or Finucane (Bellamy's favourite player) go.

Last edited:

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know why people are talking about $1 million for Smith when Melbourne only offered 650k. 750-800k plus TPA's should be enough to get it done.
So they offered 650 and who knows what else a boat caravan new car holiday house ?thats why the mill id say trying to make it hard for him to stay its all hearsay anyway.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
"One hundred per cent [you factor in personality and character]," Gould told Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles With Gus.

"There are rare diamonds there that are such an influence on the chemistry and character of your team.

"You've heard me talk previously about the difference between culture and chemistry … and it's a really distinct difference that people don't get it.

"Success, or the long-term success or the sustainability of your club, comes through the culture and the standards you set and the way you think about your football.

"If you want to win a premiership, there has to be chemistry amongst your players. It is something, once you felt it, you know what it is.
This in a nutshell will be what Gould will try and bring to the Dogs through player contracts and releases.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m happy with how we’ve recruited, Cheese would clearly be the icing on the cake if it were possible, but to round out a near perfect recruitment drive, one more experienced spine player and 2 x Props for next year would be ideal.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Smith is not worth 1 million a year....he is a great player but he is not in the million dollar class....what’s going to happen when we need to throw big money to Burton....where willl the money come from when u have overpaid players like Jackson and cotric at our club?
Get rid of both of them.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The 2 new hookers recruited are nowhere near "quality" yet ffs..they have potential and aren't even that close to ready for FG.
As for what Gus says on 100% footy etc it's all spin, what else can he say really? Smith is contracted until the end of 2022 and we aren't even supposed to be negotiating with him until Nov 1.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That's actually not what Gould said, the fact is we have 8 players (Dufty, RFM, Hetherington, Katoa, Stimson, Topine, Vaughan and Wakeham) off contract at the end of 2022 and not one additional player signed for 2023. If we are Cap compliant for 2022 then we have lots of Cap space available in 2023. The "issues" in 2023 that Gould was referring to are not overall Cap issues, but issues with individual players particularly where 2023 is their last contract year. To put it in context, we only have 2 players contracted for 2024, JAC and TPJ, plus Burton is a Player Option, but I seriously doubt that he will exercise that, he will want a new and upgraded contract.

I can't see how we would any problems fitting BSmith into our Cap in 2023 and that's without releasing any players.

Always a Bulldog

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Certainly feels like the pieces of the puzzle are forming for us, unless J Nikorima is the replacement for Aaron Booth?
They also signed Bronson Garlick, fingers crossed! Hopefully Smith is confirmed for either 22 or 23.

Diatribe 2000

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You guys pumping up Smith as a “must have” are not reading the tea leaves
To declare self-interest, he’d be in my top 5 players in the Comp and I’d love it to happen, but everything is pointing to the fact we have bought up to be competitive again but we are now focusing on medium to long term, hence the recent signing of juniors who will come through and debut with us.... just like our previous great eras

Debuted with us in the 80’s, to name a few - Gillespie, Langmack, Bugden, Johnstone, Mortimer, Mortimer, Mortimer, Potter, O’Brien, Farrar

90’s - Polla Mounter, Smith, Smith, McCracken, Pay, Dymock, Gillies, Ryan, Timu, Hetherington

2000’s - Mason, Williams, Anasta, Sherwin, Hughes, Perry, Maitua, El Masri

The recipe for success as a Sydney club is to develop a strong junior league, buy the best juniors before anyone else, and add a sprinkling of experience over time to fill the gaps in your roster (like we did with O Meley, Andrew Ryan)

Diatribe 2000

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You guys pumping up Smith as a “must have” are not reading the tea leaves
To declare self-interest, he’d be in my top 5 players in the Comp and I’d love it to happen, but everything is pointing to the fact we have bought up to be competitive again but we are now focusing on medium to long term, hence the recent signing of juniors who will come through and debut with us.... just like our previous great eras

Debuted with us in the 80’s, to name a few - Gillespie, Langmack, Bugden, Johnstone, Mortimer, Mortimer, Mortimer, Potter, O’Brien, Farrar

90’s - Polla Mounter, Smith, Smith, McCracken, Pay, Dymock, Gillies, Ryan, Timu, Hetherington

2000’s - Mason, Williams, Anasta, Sherwin, Hughes, Perry, Maitua, El Masri

The recipe for success as a Sydney club is to develop a strong junior league, buy the best juniors before anyone else, and add a sprinkling of experience over time to fill the gaps in your roster (like we did with O Meley, Andrew Ryan)
To be fair to them, have a look how many of the Roosters top 30 debuted in the tri colours
You may be surprised
Penrith is the other obvious example
No wonder they are the benchmark Sydney clubs at the moment
Manly now joining them with Bozo’s Blacktown masterstroke paying dividends as these players hit first grade age

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let B Smith threads die already. He’s trying to play hard ball. The bloke wants over $900k. Pfft no way. Can use that money on topping up Burton and buy other players. Just let it die. We all know he’s gonna go to the Rooters or stay with the Mexicans. Heard we are chasing Api anyways. Much cheaper.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Let B Smith threads die already. He’s trying to play hard ball. The bloke wants over $900k. Pfft no way. Can use that money on topping up Burton and buy other players. Just let it die. We all know he’s gonna go to the Rooters or stay with the Mexicans. Heard we are chasing Api anyways. Much cheaper.
Api won't be much cheaper and he's a lot older (going off this year Smith also better). He's on a good deal now at Panthers so he'll be getting a significant upgrade next contract wherever he plays at.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Api won't be much cheaper and he's a lot older (going off this year Smith also better). He's on a good deal now at Panthers so he'll be getting a significant upgrade next contract wherever he plays at.
The Playing group will be locking up their wives with Api and Elliott on the prowl.. f### me, that’s a dangerous cock-tail right there!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He won't be on anything close to a mill, bro....nor should Smith be.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He won't be on anything close to a mill, bro....nor should Smith be.
We have a higher chance getting Smith than Koroisau imo. That might change if Panthers have a promising hooker coming through but from what I've seen they don't so they'll be looking to extend Koroisau. I think they'll be looking at 600-700k (at least) and for us to get him you're talking Smith money anyways.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We have a higher chance getting Smith than Koroisau imo. That might change if Panthers have a promising hooker coming through but from what I've seen they don't so they'll be looking to extend Koroisau. I think they'll be looking at 600-700k (at least) and for us to get him you're talking Smith money anyways.
I dount it.....as I said previously, players will be much more willing to consider moving here now Gus is involved. I'm not even saying we should chase Korisau (he already rejected us once). I think if anything, we should be after a halfback. I wouldn't be paying well over market value for either Smith or Korisau.