Rumour Brandon smith done deal

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The storm have signed Jayden Nikorima. I wonder if he is a replacement for Smith? We probably still have to send them a forward.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And the Bulldogs can play that game too yeah, but adding in more cars, boats and brown paper bags ;-)
And Gus won’t do it, and Gus won’t make an offer that nobody can compete with. Gus will only pay what he thinks a player is worth and it won’t be much more than market value. If it’s all about money, Gus won’t be in the game.

And I know this because he told me, and I wasn’t the only one he told. In fact he told you if you’d listen to him.

You can hang onto your faith in some bloke on the intdernet all you like, but he won’t be making the decisions, Gus will.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The storm have signed Jayden Nikorima. I wonder if he is a replacement for Smith? We probably still have to send them a forward.
They lost Aaron Booth to the Titans. It's probably a replacement for him.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
And Gus won’t do it, and Gus won’t make an offer that nobody can compete with. Gus will only pay what he thinks a player is worth and it won’t be much more than market value. If it’s all about money, Gus won’t be in the game.

And I know this because he told me, and I wasn’t the only one he told. In fact he told you if you’d listen to him.

You can hang onto your faith in some bloke on the intdernet all you like, but he won’t be making the decisions, Gus will.
He checked off on TPJ 750k tho and AFB 850k? Gus will do everything he can do get Smith.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Let's not forget about TPAs and the deep pockets of Arthur Laundy!

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

A players worth changes from club to club and in different situations. B.Smith is probably worth $1mil to us, that doesn't mean he's worth $1 million.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gus will do everything he can do get Smith.
No he won’t. You might, in fact I bet you would, but Gus won’t.

IF he makes him an offer, and that’s “IF”, it’ll be what Gus wants to offer him. And if he says no, that’ll be the end of that.

Gus don’t do desperate. Nothing or nobody is going to impact on his precious roster and SC management.

He’s told you that.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No he won’t. You might, in fact I bet you would, but Gus won’t.

IF he makes him an offer, and that’s “IF”, it’ll be what Gus wants to offer him. And if he says no, that’ll be the end of that.

Gus don’t do desperate. Nothing or nobody is going to impact on his precious roster and SC management.

He’s told you that.
I just gave you 2 e.g.'s where his actions doesn't reflect that. He also signed Tamou on big money at Panthers if you need another. You obviously don't know Gus too well. Are you one of the minority's who can't see Smith is the best hooker in the competition this year by any chance?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He checked off on TPJ 750k tho and AFB 850k? Gus will do everything he can do get Smith.
You're assuming he wants him that badly. Gus is smart. He knows smith is solid and in the right team environment he can be very good (if you don't mind slow and sloppy service at times). But Gus knows he is not and never will be great. He knows he isn't worth a cent over 700k. If he ends up making him an offer, you can bet it will be for 700k or less. Some of you wanting to throw a million a year at him is just insane.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You're assuming he wants him that badly. Gus is smart. He knows smith is solid and in the right team environment he can be very good (if you don't mind slow and sloppy service at times). But Gus knows he is not and never will be great. He knows he isn't worth a cent over 700k. If he ends up making him an offer, you can bet it will be for 700k or less. Some of you wanting to throw a million a year at him is just insane.
What Smith is worth and what we have to pay are 2 completely different things btw (apply this to almost every player that's going to make a difference). We're the worst team in the competition (most likely going to be favourites or thereabouts for the wooden spoon next year in the betting too).

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think both TPJ and AFB were before his time at both the Dogs and Warriors respectively.

But let’s say they weren’t, and Tamou.

Which one of them did he get into a bidding war for? Which one did he go above what he was willing to pay?

It’s not that I know Gus, or don’t know him bud. It’s that I’ve been listening to what he’s said since joining the Dogs.

If it comes down to money, Gus won’t play.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think both TPJ and AFB were before his time at both the Dogs and Warriors respectively.

But let’s say they weren’t, and Tamou.

Which one of them did he get into a bidding war for? Which one did he go above what he was willing to pay?

It’s not that I know Gus, or don’t know him bud. It’s that I’ve been listening to what he’s said since joining the Dogs.

If it comes down to money, Gus won’t play.
None of them are worth what they're being paid or what they were being paid. Waqa Blake and RCG are two more. Trent Merrin...

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
None of them are worth what they're being paid or what they were being paid.
We’ll that’s your opinion on figures you don’t know.

And you want to pay Brandon Smith a million dollars so you know….

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We’ll that’s your opinion on figures you don’t know.

And you want to pay Brandon Smith a million dollars so you know….
I would pay Smith 900k-1m, yes. I think anyone sane in our position would do the same. Hooker is the position we need to strengthen the most (also a top 2 most important position in the NRL) and the best hooker of 21 is available AND there are no other alternatives... He also has one of the best personalities in the NRL and is a leader. He's infectious. No brainer mate. There's not 1 other better purchase we can make.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
What Smith is worth and what we have to pay are 2 completely different things btw. We're the worst team in the competition (most likely going to be favourites or thereabouts for the wooden spoon next year in the betting too).
Exactly.....we would have to pay massive overs for him and he isn't good enough for that, so we won't do it. Gus is a smart operator. Paying 1 million for smith is salary cap suicide. You use TPJ as an example of us paying overs....but TPJ is a much better player than he has shown. If he had been in Melbourne's system and not languishing away at the Broncos, he'd be the best backrower in the comp right now (though Elliott still beats him on pure potential). Smith will never come close to the level of a Harry Grant type player.....sure he has looked great this year....because he has been a beneficiary of the Melbourne syndrome.....as good as they looked with smith at 9, they look twice as good with Grant. Smith isn't that good. He isn't a million a season player. Bellamy is just a footy genius. Us spending 1,000,000 on Smith makes no business sense....especially when we have already spent big on TPJ and will need to upgrade Burton soon. The only way the cheese will end up here is if he is smart enough to see the club will build to great things under Gus and takes a punt to sign for what he is worth. 700k, tops.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would pay Smith 900k-1m, yes. I think anyone sane in our position would do the same. Hooker is the position we need to strengthen the most (also a top 2 most important position in the NRL) and the best hooker of 21 is available AND there are no other alternatives... He also has one of the best personalities in the NRL and is a leader. He's infectious. No brainer mate.
He’s not a playmaker, he’s not game manager, he doesn’t think a single tackle ahead let alone a set or a period. Can’t kick tactically or at goal.

You want to pay him money reserved for those that can just because he’s available and has a personality?

He’s very good at what he does, one of the best, and that’s run like a bull. His best plays are on the end of a Harry Grant pass not the other way around.

He won’t a million dollars from anybody… we’ll maybe Tigers because they’re perennially stupid… but certainly not from Melb, Roosters or us.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He’s not a playmaker, he’s not game manager, he doesn’t think a single tackle ahead let alone a set or a period. Can’t kick tactically or at goal.

You want to pay him money reserved for those that can just because he’s available and has a personality?

He’s very good at what he does, one of the best, and that’s run like a bull. His best plays are on the end of a Harry Grant pass not the other way around.

He won’t a million dollars from anybody… we’ll maybe Tigers because they’re perennially stupid… but certainly not from Melb, Roosters or us.
He's the best hooker in the NRL this year you mong. Why you leaving that out. He plays in a spine position (big $) and at hooker which is a top 2 most important position in the NRL. If you honestly believe he won't get big offers (ludicrous to think) then we get him cheaper.