Bowen faces 10 months on sidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

kranks

Waterboy
Reaction score
A BRAVE Matt Bowen has vowed to return to the NRL despite learning his right knee will require similar radical surgery to that which wrecked his 2008 season.

The quicksilver fullback has been below his best in recent weeks - largely because the cartilage in the joint has degenerated to the same point his left knee did last year.

Bowen limped from the field in the Cowboys' 32-26 loss to the Knights on Saturday night after aggravating a strain in his left knee early in the game.

That injury is a result of him favouring the repaired joint to spare any further damage on the right.

The club is expected to rush him into surgery in the post-season for a matrix-induced autologous chondrocyte implant operation which would rule him out until at least July next year.

The procedure involves having cartilage grown on a matrix to be inserted into the knee and would leave him
immobile for 10 weeks and unable to play football for 10 months.

The process is not without risks and could place the 27-year-old's career in jeopardy, although the devastated fullback has braced himself to endure the long rehab for a second time and return next season.

''I spoke to (physio) Steve (Sartori) and the doc and it's similar to what I did last year,'' Bowen said.

''It's going to be a long recovery again but hopefully it will be successful like the left knee.

''I know what to expect now, being laid up for almost 10 weeks when I had the left one done. It's all right mate, hopefully it recovers.''

Medical staff will assess the knee in the coming weeks although the surgery seem an inevitable process to ensure Bowen plays in the years to come.

His presence last year was sorely missed after he finally bowed to the injury and went under the knife following the Cowboys' round eight clash against South Sydney.

He has shown patches of his best form late in this season after a slow start following the first round of surgery and was clinical in the club's 34-18 mauling of the Titans in round 21.

The usual spark has gone missing in the last three weeks, though, as the Cowboys have crashed to three straight losses and out of the NRL top eight.

While losing Bowen for the majority of the 2010 season will be a heavy blow, getting his right knee fixed could extend his career by two years.

It will be a tough call for the club to make but coach Neil Henry said it would be vital to bring him back to his best form in the coming seasons.

'Both knees have degenerated a bit ... we need to make a decision or not whether he needs to have that same operation done on his other knee now and that's looking likely,'' he said.

''It's quite a long, drawn-out process, if he got the other knee done it's 10 months recovery.

''It would put him out for the first half of the season regardless, he would be out until July and that's if he can get it done in the next six weeks.''

Bowen is hopeful he can recover quickly from his latest setback on his left knee and play the remaining two games of the season.

''(Saturday) night the left knee was pretty sore and I couldn't do much,'' he said.

''I couldn't have done much about it and hopefully it recovers for this weekend.''

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Feel for the bloke, long injuries are never good on your mental health

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
extended injuries are never good...i dont mind bowen tbh..wish him all the best though

Last edited by a moderator:

Maltese Bulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
This is terrible news for Bowen. Can be one of the best fullbacks in the game when fully fit. He hasnt really been fully fit for a while now. Goodluck to him and hope he can come out of this very well and see him at his top form.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Feel for the bloke, long injuries are never good on your mental health
I'd imagine they wouldn't be too good for your physical health either. :p

It is a real shame about Bowen and terrible luck. There is no doubting he's been a shadow of his former self since his serious injuries and he hasn't had much luck since. If people would be rooting for any one player it would be this bloke. He's a real fan favourite at his best.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
my bad

Huge loss.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cowboys have known about this for months. They knew the surgery would put him out for a season but were hoping he wouldnt have to have it. Now they have just made it worse

Poor guy has been playing on one leg for a long time now for the sake of his club. What more do u want in a bloke?

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Massive loss for them

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Thurston will be looking to jump ship out of there as soon as he can I rekon

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Terrible loss for the Cowboys and the game.

Hope he gets a speedy recovery

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Such a shame...that's a very long time as well. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. The Cowboys need the Bowen-Thurston combo.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
All the best to the bloke.

Very sad to hear - he is a great player to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.