News Board anger as Bulldogs director fails to mention pub ownership

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I know all that but it's an unfortunate reality.

I don't agree that ignoring the chaos going on around you helps when you are responsible for running a business...whether that chaos is true or just perceived. The reality is that we are awash with rumours, innuendo, questionable issues, in house fighting, making us look like we are a mess atm.

I am not going into the sides tearing us asunder nor the political machinations.

But I do say we should be om the front foot.

WA are countersuing Clive Palmer.
Fauci is hitting back at some Republicans for misrepresenting his statements.
Penrith are defending their reputation with these rumours about them.
Bellamy apologised immediately about the bird and talked about it.

I just believe we need to stand up. If its not true, let them explain.

Just my opinion. Not getting into any arguments about this.
Fair enough. I say don’t take the bait, then you’re just feeding the sideshow.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The club and management have made no comments regarding the specifics of this sponsorship.
People need to ignore these ridiculous stories coming out every second day about our club.
I attended a football club meeting earlier this year were our club representatives mentioned on several occasions not to believe media propaganda.
Business dealings are kept confidential.
My only concern for now is see a much improved team come 2021.
Agree 100% mate.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Conversely you want them to do both ............. interesting.

It's the perfect time to sell the $500k deal to the NRL, Laundy's is obviously a heavily Covid affected business, we are not all that attractive a sponsorship/advertising proposition and doing a 3 year deal at this time looks pretty smart to me. The OK from the NRL then gives us time to put the other off cap stuff in place.

I honestly don't think that we can beat the Chooks unless we do the same "deals" as they do.

Go Dogs
Its a good point about post Covid sponsorships. I think we are the only club to negotiate a sponsorship deal during Covid because all other clubs already had major sponsors.

Maybe $500k per year is the new going rate for major sponsors. Other clubs may have had their sponsorships renegotiated since Covid began.

Not to bore everyone too much but the economy is about die in the ass. Alot of businesses have been kept afloat with Job Keeper and that ends next week. Its a different world these days.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hill doesn’t have to give much detail but you’d think he could come out and hit this on the head fairly quickly and clean it up. It will be very interesting to see if he does.
I don’t think he will say anything knowing it’s all fake news and people with a negative agenda.
At the current rate the club would have to refute accusations almost every day.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yet two weeks ago the member update said the opposite. We’ll have to wait for the financial statements to get the details...
The effects of Covid is the outlying factor in making the profit don’t kid yourself into thinking the Football Club will start making a profit on a regular basis.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t think he will say anything knowing it’s all fake news and people with a negative agenda.
At the current rate the club would have to refute accusations almost every day.
If it’s fake news it’s easy to knock on the head because this one makes the club and board look amateur hour. I think it needs a explanation.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The effects of Covid is the outlying factor in making the profit don’t kid yourself into thinking the Football Club will start making a profit on a regular basis.
We’ll see. Mounties will help as will Laundy’s.
The numbers won’t lie when they come out - not that we’ll be able to judge the Mountie effect until early 2022, around election time.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Its a good point about post Covid sponsorships. I think we are the only club to negotiate a sponsorship deal during Covid because all other clubs already had major sponsors.

Maybe $500k per year is the new going rate for major sponsors. Other clubs may have had their sponsorships renegotiated since Covid began.

Not to bore everyone too much but the economy is about die in the ass. Alot of businesses have been kept afloat with Job Keeper and that ends next week. Its a different world these days.
Good point mate. I’m waiting for some little weed to post #butcovid or similar

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We’ll see. Mounties will help as will Laundy’s.
The numbers won’t lie when they come out - not that we’ll be able to judge the Mountie effect until early 2022, around election time.
How will Laundy’s help if they are only kicking in a low ball sponsorship? It will be interesting to see how much fat they have cut out and what effect it has on football operations.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had Ballesty not declared his interest at all it’s a different story - he did. Yet these tabloid grubs create a non-existent scandal because he owns a 33% interest in one pub from 20 years ago (the Laundy’s have 60). I just don’t see what there is to see here and it’s obvious where it’s coming from.
It’s such a nothing story almost comical
Like you mentioned a third of a pub twenty years ago,give me a break.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
How will Laundy’s help if they are only kicking in a low ball sponsorship? It will be interesting to see how much fat they have cut out and what effect it has on football operations.
Yes it will, hence wait and see the financials.
I’m not buying the Laundy lowball story, the club made it clear they wouldn’t undersell the value of the major partner. That said, any ‘discounts’ would’ve been for legit reasons - after the season we’ve had our bargaining power wasn’t the strongest and despite those who say the Rona is an ‘excuse’ - well, they mustn’t have a great grasp of commercial reality in the current environment.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it’s fake news it’s easy to knock on the head because this one makes the club and board look amateur hour. I think it needs a explanation.
Every story coming out in recent times is making our club look second rate,
I just can’t see them being too fussed to be honest.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes it will, hence wait and see the financials.
I’m not buying the Laundy lowball story, the club made it clear they wouldn’t undersell the value of the major partner. That said, any ‘discounts’ would’ve been for legit reasons - after the season we’ve had our bargaining power wasn’t the strongest and despite those who say the Rona is an ‘excuse’ - well, they mustn’t have a great grasp of commercial reality in the current environment.
Its a excuse in 2020 not 2022 which is the most puzzling part. We should be in a much stronger position at the start of 2022 on the field and the effects of Covid will be much less of a factor but we will still be getting the half mill.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares they paying money next year and if Laundy wants to put his own cash into the club uncle Nick style.. I don’t give a shit if the sponsorship only worth 500k if he give some premium players paper bags with sandwiches in them I don’t care either if he 3rd party’s 500k that helps too
Any ways dont barrett co own a pub with them as well

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
They still had to sign off a the deal there was no secret to the amount involved so i need help to see the problem
Ballesty wasn't part of the negotiation making team, but he should have declared his interest so everyone on the board was aware. In the washup, it didn't need his vote, so there was no apparent compromise.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Its a excuse in 2020 not 2022 which is the most puzzling part. We should be in a much stronger position at the start of 2022 on the field and the effects of Covid will be much less of a factor but we will still be getting the half mill.
By ‘excuse’ you mean ‘fair reason’ I take it.
I was referring to those who said the club was using the Rona as an ‘excuse’ firstly to not have a major partner and now allegedly one not paying enough.
You’re assuming it’s true - your call.
As I said I don’t buy it.
But will wait for the financials to tell the truth.
Any half decent negotiation would’ve included higher payments in the second and third years subject to meeting certain conditions and I’d say that would mostly be centred around on field results, number of prime time TV games etc. That said because Laundy’s don’t trade under the parent brand name, their thinking might be quite different into how they extract bang for their buck as opposed to say a KIA or Jaycar who had a clearer retail play.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get we all love the club and hate bad things being written about it but I can't understand how people don't see the problem here,

You've got a person who has partial ownership in a business and wearing another hat sits on a board which is set to benefit from a sponsorship. Whos interests does he act in - his own business or the bulldogs.

Best thing in this case would be for every other director to be involved in the decision and he should have been excluded, that way there's no story.
As long as he declares his conflict of interest, and does take part in the decision of the board, there is no problem.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a look at the profile of the chick that wrote this Kate McClymont. Full throttle weathered peanut

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
By ‘excuse’ you mean ‘fair reason’ I take it.
I was referring to those who said the club was using the Rona as an ‘excuse’ firstly to not have a major partner and now allegedly one not paying enough.
You’re assuming it’s true - your call.
As I said I don’t buy it.
But will wait for the financials to tell the truth.
Any half decent negotiation would’ve included higher payments in the second and third years subject to meeting certain conditions and I’d say that would mostly be centred around on field results, number of prime time TV games etc. That said because Laundy’s don’t trade under the parent brand name, their thinking might be quite different into how they extract bang for their buck as opposed to say a KIA or Jaycar who had a clearer retail play.
You’re the one that mentioned it as a “excuse” so I was just running with it. You didn’t really make it clear what you were referring to. I’m not assuming it’s true I’m just saying if it is true it’s a terrible bit of management. I hope the club has covered their ass and included bonus clauses it’s what any board worth their salt would do it doesn’t deserve a pat on the back for mine if they have in fact done that.

Who knows how the Laundy’s want to use the club that’s their call. Its the club’s responsibility to squeeze as much money and advantages out of them let’s hope they have.