Big Tech Battle Brewing

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting times indeed. The collection of data is probably the biggest moneymaker a company can have these days. Collect user data, know your target markets likes and dislikes, their habits ect and you can optimise your marketing and influence their behaviour on a number of levels. Facebook, google and other tech giants are really just data collection companies that will then sell this information to other companies looking for insight and it’s making them big money with little regulation at the moment. Highly recommend watching the social dilemma on Netflix if you haven’t already. Obviously take it with a pinch of salt but there is some pretty scary and interesting points made in that doco about big tech influencing our everyday lives and how they use us and our data
Another good one that's slightly less related, but based around the same concepts is The Rabbit Hole podcast.

It covers how algorithms and social media tricks keep you clicking and watching and often result in you going down a rabbit hole that leads to you believing whatever rabbit hole you fell down. Also discusses how people who know the way the algorithms work, manipulate youtube to sell you on a product or belief.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've seen documentaries on hacking that show that any bit of technology that can pick up wifi can be hacked, including smart TV's etc. So it probably wouldn't be that much of a stretch to the imagination that people that can profit from advertising would run programs that would utilise any potential speakers available. And I don't know how many times I'm asked to sync all my devices which I'd assume would allow them to target advertising to the relevant device if any linked device picks up a keyword.

I'm going to have to look up that book.

Without putting too much thought into it, google wants me to store my numbers there for backup, there are a few apps that want to transfer data to the cloud.

I've never been willing to activate any microphone related searches on my phones or computers. Doesn't mean that they don't activate on their own. And I don't recall who it was (though I think it was Steve Jobs) but it was a picture of a tech giant who had sticky tape over the camera on his PC. So if someone like that doesn't trust his device and it's security platforms from blocking hackers etc, theres no reason I'd think my puny PC is going to be safe.
I believe it was Zuckerberg who put tape over his Webcam and speakers... Ironic.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another good one that's slightly less related, but based around the same concepts is The Rabbit Hole podcast.

It covers how algorithms and social media tricks keep you clicking and watching and often result in you going down a rabbit hole that leads to you believing whatever rabbit hole you fell down. Also discusses how people who know the way the algorithms work, manipulate youtube to sell you on a product or belief.
Sounds interesting will give it a listen! There is definitely a lot going on behind the scenes. Tactics that people wouldn’t even be able to begin to comprehend. Data collection is the new gold rush it seems

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Couple of things it could be:

1) microphone on your phone is listening to you

Or

2) coincidence

It's odd that it would be a coincidence but there has been a little research into it. They generally find that it comes down to 3 things:

1) your patterns dictate who you are. If you're thinking about buying cat food and an advert for cat food comes up, that's because the algorithms know you

2) they also know who you're connected with. Generally if the algorithms pick up that your partner is thinking of going to NT and they know you are connected then you'll get related advertising

3) a broken clock is right twice a day. This is also know as the number 23 effect (from the movie 23). If you think that the number 23 is stalking you then you'll see the number 23 everywhere. If you think about buying a Toyota then you'll see adverts for Toyota everywhere. What you won't notice is the 10,000 other adverts for different vehicles
I don’t see 23 every day even though it is my favourite number. Grew up in a house that was 23, Michael Jordan, Shane Warne but I definitely see 11:11 every second day. I think Kanye West had an album about it. I know it’s just habits and coincidence but I still do look down at my watch and see it daily m.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I believe it was Zuckerberg who put tape over his Webcam and speakers... Ironic.
Could well have been. I just recall being surprised that there was paranoia from someone that you'd think would have security galore on their PC.