Big Tech Battle Brewing

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We’ve arrived at an interesting juncture in the tech space. Apple are set to release a version of iOS that will allow users to block apps and websites from sharing harvested user data. This has obviously infuriated Google and Facebook whose business models are built on receiving that data.

Governments are pondering legislation in terms of managing the tech giants power, including in Australia where there’s proposed reform to make Google and Facebook pay for news content that is authored in Australia, keeping journalists in care and feeding.

Apple says part of their effort is driven by the spread of disinformation and conspiracies, which surely is a good thing, though some will argue freedom of speech includes the right to deliberately mislead.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on where big tech is heading, or might be forced to head?

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Good I’m sick of talking to my missus about maybe going to the Northern Territory and then opening Instagram and somehow having an ad for the Northern Territory pop up.

I have an apple phone though so I guess they are all bad pricks..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Good I’m sick of talking to my missus about maybe going to the Northern Territory and then opening Instagram and somehow having an ad for the Northern Territory pop up.
Who’s listening? Do you have a smart speaker?
How do you think they’re getting info from a private conversation at home?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Sometimes you only have to "think" Northern Territory and the ad comes up! :grinning:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

How stupid is it when you buy something online, let’s say a lawnmower and then you get ads for days about lawnmowers. How many lawnmowers do you need?

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
No don’t have a speaker haven’t searched anything but how is there an ad for what I was just talking about?

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had advertising pop up plenty of times ,after lunch at work after talking about something possible coincidence but happens a bit, maybe I'm just easy to predict, either way .....meh

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I've had advertising pop up plenty of times ,after lunch at work after talking about something possible coincidence but happens a bit, maybe I'm just easy to predict, either way .....meh
Sometimes you get the ads for weeks but once you talk about it is when you actually notice it. They don’t listen and target ads using speakers, phones etc.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you get the ads for weeks but once you talk about it is when you actually notice it. They don’t listen and target ads using speakers, phones etc.
That sounds like the most logical reason

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No don’t have a speaker haven’t searched anything but how is there an ad for what I was just talking about?
Phones and messenger apps. Keywords can be picked up with virtual assistants enabled - so if you have Siri, Alexa or Hey Google enabled (RIP Cortana :tearsofjoy:) or anything you type into FB messenger or WhatsApp. Recently WhatsApp changed their EULA to say they could share data with Facebook - and millions abandoned WhatsApp within days. I don’t have Facebook but a mate told me someone messaged him and mentioned the word ‘headache’. Before he knew it ads from Panadol appeared on his Facebook.

They’re constantly looking at ways to surveil to increase revenue. I’m not 100% opposed to it nor some privacy freak Luddite - but I do think there’s some lines they shouldn’t be able to cross.

There’s a book called ‘The Age of Surveillance Capitalism’ for anyone who’s interested in the topic.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
How stupid is it when you buy something online, let’s say a lawnmower and then you get ads for days about lawnmowers. How many lawnmowers do you need?
If you’re @Dawgfather with ‘substantial stock market success’ probably more than one. The maintenance on Dawg Manor must be backbreaking :tearsofjoy:.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Phones and messenger apps. Keywords can be picked up with virtual assistants enabled - so if you have Siri, Alexa or Hey Google enabled (RIP Cortana :tearsofjoy:) or anything you type into FB messenger or WhatsApp. Recently WhatsApp changed their EULA to say they could share data with Facebook - and millions abandoned WhatsApp within days. I don’t have Facebook but a mate told me someone messaged him and mentioned the word ‘headache’. Before he knew it ads from Panadol appeared on his Facebook.

They’re constantly looking at ways to surveil to increase revenue. I’m not 100% opposed to it nor some privacy freak Luddite - but I do think there’s some lines they shouldn’t be able to cross.

There’s a book called ‘The Age of Surveillance Capitalism’ for anyone who’s interested in the topic.
I think it's a losing battle, so really don't pay much attention to this. Analytics and computing power make it something that's going to eventually going to happen, regardless if you have a smart phone or not. They've got people's profiles down and we should only really be concerned about containment of that technology now, no point trying to stop it, it's inevitable.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

It happens so often that I am doubtful it's all "co-incidental"...but I do love a "believable" conspiracy theory.