Opinion Best gig ever...

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did you ever see Goldrush?

They were an excellent pub gig. Sorta country rock. The bloke on the banjo always brought the hose down with the Beverly Hillbillies theme leading into Duelling Banjoes.
Yeah mate, the late 70’s until early ninetys was the best time for live music in Oz. Hundreds of gigs weekly around the country in city’s and regional towns. You could always see live music if you wanted to.

And then, pokies…

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah mate, the late 70’s until early ninetys was the best time for live music in Oz. Hundreds of gigs weekly around the country in city’s and regional towns. You could always see live music if you wanted to.

And then, pokies…
It is a tragedy what’s happened to the live music scene.

The youth of today wouldn’t’t believe the pubs and clubs we could point to and say there I seen Midnight Oil, there I seen The Angels, there I seen INXS, Cold Chisel, The Mentals and on and on all at the peak of their art.

They’d say where? There’s nothing there!

Well, it’s where all the pokie machines are now. That’s where it was.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of my more memorable ‘old-school’ gigs include:
  • Soundgarden at Brisbane Festival Hall in 1997
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan, also at Festival Hall in 1984
  • Dream Theater in Colorado Springs in 1997
  • Living Colour at Festival Hall in 2003 (incidentally, Cosmic Psychos supported them)
  • The Cult, at East Leagues Club in Brisbane in 1986. That’s gone down in Brisbane music folklore as a legendary show. I was 16, looked about 14, but walked in with my two older brothers and their friends and no one cared. I probably had a fake id that I made at school anyhow, but I didn’t need it somehow.
  • Iron Maiden in 1982, also at Festival Hall.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Some of my more memorable ‘old-school’ gigs include:
  • Soundgarden at Brisbane Festival Hall in 1997
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan, also at Festival Hall in 1984
  • Dream Theater in Colorado Springs in 1997
  • Living Colour at Festival Hall in 2003 (incidentally, Cosmic Psychos supported them)
  • The Cult, at East Leagues Club in Brisbane in 1986. That’s gone down in Brisbane music folklore as a legendary show. I was 16, looked about 14, but walked in with my two older brothers and their friends and no one cared. I probably had a fake id that I made at school anyhow, but I didn’t need it somehow.
  • Iron Maiden in 1982, also at Festival Hall.
Fck - #1 on my regret list - The Cult.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
96 Red Hot Chili Peppers One Hot Minute Tour.
98 Metallica
05 Wolmother at the Yallah Woolshed
12 Motley Crue and Kiss
Lots of good times

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
96 Red Hot Chili Peppers One Hot Minute Tour.
98 Metallica
05 Wolmother at the Yallah Woolshed
12 Motley Crue and Kiss
Lots of good times
I can't remember what year it was, but I remember seeing Red Hot Chili Peppers in Sydney. A mate and I got a little bit drunk before hand then then we got in to the gig, we walked around for a while looking for the bar and couldn't find it. We asked a security guard where the bar was and he said, "sorry fellahs, this is an all ages gig. No alcohol here"

My mate started running up to every kid he saw, pointed at them and said, "this is all your fault"

Pretty huge crowd there so we went to listen to the first band. Can't remember who it was meant to be, but about 10 minutes after they were meant to start there was an announcement:

"we apologise but the support act has cancelled"

Then just 2 and a half hours of silence.

We enjoyed it though. We walked around the crowd looking for kids with alcohol, then we told them that we were undercover police and we had to confiscate their alcohol.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like others, have seen a lot of bands over my years however a few stand out.

Muse - Hands down one the BEST live acts you will ever see. Matthew Bellamy is unreal live and his vocals sound better live than on record.

Rammstein - All members are qualified Pyrotechnics so the show is intense and entertaining. Each song has its own scene and set of costumes.

Foo Fighters - Dave Grohl. Nuff said.

Tool - Just a different type of metal concert experience. Again, they are on point and faultless.

Rage Against The Machine - Come back tour at BDO in 2008. So much hype surrounding there return and did it live up to it.

Jabba the Mutt

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Closest I came was Page Plant at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre in 1996. That was a fantastic show. Probably in my top 5.
I also caught the '96 'Page and Plant' tour in Sydney.
Yep, fabulous show with the encore of 'Rock 'n Roll' + 'Black Dog' (from memory).

I noticed that you've also seen Dream Theater, Living Colour and SRV. Some mighty fine guitarists there with John Petrucci, Vernon Reid and SRV - fabulous stuff!

I imagine that you're a Rush fan?

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also caught the '96 'Page and Plant' tour in Sydney.
Yep, fabulous show with the encore of 'Rock 'n Roll' + 'Black Dog' (from memory).

I noticed that you've also seen Dream Theater, Living Colour and SRV. Some mighty fine guitarists there with John Petrucci, Vernon Reid and SRV - fabulous stuff!

I imagine that you're a Rush fan?
Sorry, I seemed to have totally missed this reply. Yes, very lucky to see all those great bands. Yes, I'm a bit of Rush nerd. Saw them 6 times, which is not bad for an Aussie, given they never toured here. Front row in New Orleans on their last tour. Fav band and fav city. Was quite a night.

Anyhow, I kept my ticket from the Page / Plant tour !

P&P.png

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
James Browns last ever performance at Good Vibes in centennial park in Sydney I can’t remember what year he just did what he wanted 20 minute bass solos walking off stage with a towel over his head saying I can’t go on I can’t go on the bursting back out I’m guessing after a bump of the old white gold. He was amazing.