News Benji Marshall Bulldogs chances and asking price

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
If we didn’t keep Tolman, there no way we taking Benji.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why would we play Averillo at 6 if we are gunning for Burton and his future is at fullback? Would only stunt his development and we'd have two inexperienced halves. Benji was great this year and an experiences head would do wonders for a young but talented spine. If we can afford him and he's willing to come for one year, we should snap him up. Especially if he will lower his price tag a bit.
Benji is washed up in a major way his defence is non existent and I don't think he was great at all this year otherwise players like Grub and Billy Walters wouldn't have pushed him out the side. For a player of his age he doesn't show his experience very well and takes the wrong option more times then not. As long as Averillo is in the spine it won't effect his development at all he will still get his hands on the ball.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He wanted $400k to go to Nth Qld, he would probably take $200k to stay in Sydney.

Sometimes you've just got to accept your time is done and he needs to do that, he's had a good career and very lucky to play until he's 35.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Benji is washed up in a major way his defence is non existent and I don't think he was great at all this year otherwise players like Grub and Billy Walters wouldn't have pushed him out the side. For a player of his age he doesn't show his experience very well and takes the wrong option more times then not. As long as Averillo is in the spine it won't effect his development at all he will still get his hands on the ball.
Washed up? Hardly.

His defence is no worse than Avos. He averaged the 3rd most Try assists and 3rd most LBAs per game in the comp this year, despite playing in a bottom 8 team. He would add some much needed experience and plenty of strike power and playing Avo at 6 would be counter productive if the long term plan is to play him at the back.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he wanted 400k to move to NQ because he had to:
1/ Re-locate his family
2/ Quit his Foxtel role

If he finds a Sydney ased team, then his asking price would most likely be half that as he still earns his income from Foxtel & no re-location costs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Washed up? Hardly.

His defence is no worse than Avos. He averaged the 3rd most Try assists and 3rd most LBAs per game in the comp this year, despite playing in a bottom 8 team. He would add some much needed experience and plenty of strike power and playing Avo at 6 would be counter productive if the long term plan is to play him at the back.
Agree to disagree he might have a couple of stats in his favour but he isn't what we need at all especially being another year older. The only way Averillo's defence improves is by playing . The long term plan for Averillo isn't even known yet Tbaz mentioned using him in the halves yesterday.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Agree to disagree he might have a couple of stats in his favour but he isn't what we need at all especially being another year older. The only way Averillo's defence improves is by playing . The long term plan for Averillo isn't even known yet Tbaz mentioned using him in the halves yesterday.
i think the long term plan for Averillo from yesterday is at fullback if we have burton/flanno

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
i think the long term plan for Averillo from yesterday is at fullback if we have burton/flanno
Likely. I can also imagine Baz finishing the first couple of sessions with the boys are realising he needs to scrap all his plans and start from scratch again haha.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Dude, I think he was awesome. Especially towards the back end of the year. I think JMK would benefit a lot from playing with him too. I just think we have to pick a position for Avo and play him there. If Burton is coming, I think there's nothing to gain from playing him at 6 next year only to move him to 1 in 2022. Barrett has more decent options for FB than he does for 6, which might be why he's talking about playing Avo at 6.....but if we get Benji as a one year stop gap, it solves that problem, gives us more strike power and gives Avo an extra year to learn his trade as a FG fullback.

If the Burton deal is looking like it won't happen, I guess we could look at Avo as a long term half.....but I like the idea of having an experienced half to partner Flanagan, at least until he has another full season under his belt.

Anyway, nbothing wrong with a respectful disagreement. I just think it's a bit harsh to say Benji is washed up.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Likely. I can also imagine Baz finishing the first couple of sessions with the boys are realising he needs to scrap all his plans and start from scratch again haha.
Nah, we're good. We have Elliott. With the right coaching he can cover anywhere from 1-13.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
some on here saying waaaay too much but were willing to throw the same dollars at the wreckage that was once Kieran Foran??

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He’s still got something to offer but not at 400K. I could think of worse...

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton has had the offer in his lap,for over a week now,I think he will stay at Penrith,if so benji would be useful,at around $300k,an experienced head like his would be a great bonus for us,let’s not forget,burton has played only 5 first grade games