Ben Roberts - 2011 Discussion Thread

Should Ben Roberts Play Next Week against the Dragons?

• Yes - Starting Side

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Yes - Bench

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 52.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
If the reports are true and Roberts actually wants to leave after just 3 games in 2011 it just goes to show that he has absolutley no heart at all. Look at guys like Morrin who play maybe 3 or 4 first grade games a year but never give up and cherish the chances they get, they are the players that make a club great. Fair enough if he had spent a whole season in NSW cup he may be forgiven for looking for other oppurtunities but its been 3 games FFS. If nothing else this was a test of character for Roberts and he has failed dismally
yeah I didn't see him complaining in 2006 when he was taking Brent Sherwins first grade spot!

the dogs should just let him go, he has his head jammed so high up his own ass its a joke anyway!

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Once again I ask, with us leading the comp and a big game tonight, why is this thread still going ?

Roberts is history, I know some of you love him due to being with the club so long and in those years stringing together perhaps 10 good games for us, but this is a professional sport where only the strong survive.

Time to cut the dead weight and move on folks. Use his money to top up Idris.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ever thought he's deliberately playing **** so we release him, and he'll sign elsewhere.

After all news broke only the other day that we would NOT release him, so think about it.

Keating has the #6 spot, and he can't get an early release... why wouldn't he play **** and get paid $$$$ for it... no incentive at all for him.
I think thats a bit ridiculous, he wasnt that bad

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm only going on reports here to be honest (the other thread) as I've only been to one NSW Cup game this year so far.

Problem is, Roberts was told he'd have time to prove himself in first half of this year. How can he when he isn't even being given game time??

I realise you can't upset a winning formula, but why not start him with Keating on the bench, and if he (Roberts) starts having a shocker, hook him, put Keating back on, and you have your answer in stone. Obviusly do it against an "easier" side though.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm only going on reports here to be honest (the other thread) as I've only been to one NSW Cup game this year so far.

Problem is, Roberts was told he'd have time to prove himself in first half of this year. How can he when he isn't even being given game time??

I realise you can't upset a winning formula, but why not start him with Keating on the bench, and if he (Roberts) starts having a shocker, hook him, put Keating back on, and you have your answer in stone. Obviusly do it against an "easier" side though.
You answered your own question, why break a winning formula. The team comes ahead of an individual, if there are injuries Roberts gets his chance, if not then he is sh*t out of luck.

The club owes him nothing. He has a contract and they will honor it the way they see fit.

C

chipandchase

honestly, that is most stupid post. Is Roberts bigger than the team, NO, who cares where he plays if we are leading the comp and , and/if we win the comp.
So you want to waste a substitute just to give Roberts a run and also destablise the team as well as dropping Keating for doing nothing wrong?
give yourself an uppercut Mt Invisible

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben Roberts hasn't performed consistently for us from day 1 and is certainly not of international class.
Let him go, he's a waste of money

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Just gotta remember here that we're all going off rumours. Who knows what Roberts is thinking? Who knows what the club and coach are thinking? Maybe he was having a bad day on the weekend, maybe he was just exploring his options through his manager and isn't all that bothered by it? We don't know so I don't think it's fair to give the guy crap for a bad attitude we don't even know for sure he has.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just gotta remember here that we're all going off rumours. Who knows what Roberts is thinking? Who knows what the club and coach are thinking? Maybe he was having a bad day on the weekend, maybe he was just exploring his options through his manager and isn't all that bothered by it? We don't know so I don't think it's fair to give the guy crap for a bad attitude we don't even know for sure he has.
EXCUSE ME

Lets have a go at him based off a few snippets in the DT because hey he is unhappy.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
EXCUSE ME

Lets have a go at him based off a few snippets in the DT because hey he is unhappy.
Even though the DT is most likely basing their article on the little gossip segment on that OneHD show that didn't even name the player or club or manager involved.

Pa-28

Bring back the BIFF!!!
Reaction score
Even though the DT is most likely basing their article on the little gossip segment on that OneHD show that didn't even name the player or club or manager involved.
It's pretty obvious who they were suggesting. They said an ex NZ international is playing in reserve grade and looking to go to the Titans but the club won't release him. Doesn't leave too many possibilities other then Roberts.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious who they were suggesting. They said an ex NZ international is playing in reserve grade and looking to go to the Titans but the club won't release him. Doesn't leave too many possibilities other then Roberts.
Yeah I know and I immediately thought of Roberts when I was watching it, but where did that bit of info come from? The DT published a story based on a gossip segment which is probably second hand news at best. None of us know the real situation here so it's a bit rough talking **** about one of our players. He's a Bulldog and we should respect him while he wears our colours and represents us.

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
So many threads for a NSW cup player - Honestly C'mon people
This is 2011 not 2009!

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Rumours around Gold Coast that Roberts will be in a Titans jersey possibly rather sooner than later (even weeks). With the dissapointment of Capewell not performing, they are in desperate need of a 5/8. I dont think dogs management will let him go that soon as he is our back up atm for Keating and Hodkinson (they would be crazy to do so, he still has a lot to offer). He is still a big part in our first grade team, lets not forget that. Hopefully its all BS rumours...
Well i was told by a current Souths Junior who plays in the halves his contract negotiations are on hold because of the impending signiture of a current bullodgs lower grade half. Souths expect and wouldnt be sad to see Sutton move on with Knights , Cowboys and Parra pursuing him. Sutton has even said to other players he more than likely wont be around next year. This could also mean Josh Renolyds but Roberts is very much on the outer and has great friends at Souths

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well i was told by a current Souths Junior who plays in the halves his contract negotiations are on hold because of the impending signiture of a current bullodgs lower grade half. Souths expect and wouldnt be sad to see Sutton move on with Knights , Cowboys and Parra pursuing him. Sutton has even said to other players he more than likely wont be around next year. This could also mean Josh Renolyds but Roberts is very much on the outer and has great friends at Souths
That is come interesting intel. I would have thought Souths need a better halfback rather then a better 5/8 though? That is the only thing that makes me think it might be Reynolds. If Sutton moves on GI can play 5/8.

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
Should Ben Roberts Get A Start Next Week

After tonight lack of urgency and lack of attacking flair, we just looked flat.

Should Roberts come on the bench or in the starting side ?

Or Not at all ?

Just a matter of we didn't turn up ?

Just a question, opinion welcome !

I personally don't think so

And save your "stupid thread" remarks :grinning:

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Here we go. Simply no chance. Can't even dominate a NSW cup game against he sharks.

Q-Tip

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From reports of how he played against the Sharks probably no.

Status
Not open for further replies.