Ben Roberts - 2011 Discussion Thread

Should Ben Roberts Play Next Week against the Dragons?

• Yes - Starting Side

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Yes - Bench

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 52.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
General discussion on match form, selection, injuries, contracts, and anything else here.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roberts on Bench, subtle hint?

Just wondering if Benny getting picked on the bench is the coaching staff's way of telling him he might not be in the plans for the future?

We have brought Keating in, have Aiden Sezar coming through who looks really good and Josh Reynolds as well. There is also Romelo there and a couple of others for depth.

Is Benny's time at the club coming to an end?

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You couldn't post this in one of the 500 keating v Roberts threads, or even the Ben roberts discussion thread? Search is your friend

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Probably, who knows? he has had pleantly of chances.
He needs more consistancy, our younger fans think he is the best thing since sliced bread but that's mainly due to his appreance rather than skill!

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Probably, who knows? he has had pleantly of chances.
He needs more consistancy, our younger fans think he is the best thing since sliced bread but that's mainly due to his appreance rather than skill!
Most people backing him on this forum are in their mid 20s

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You couldn't post this in one of the 500 keating v Roberts threads, or even the Ben roberts discussion thread? Search is your friend
If I was comparing him to Keating I would have. Fair point for the BR discussion thread though, but I am not discussing his performance, I am speculating on his future at the club.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If I was comparing him to Keating I would have. Fair point for the BR discussion thread though, but I am not discussing his performance, I am speculating on his future at the club.
You have abit of a point but still br disccusion would have been better people get too thread happy on here and we end up with 50 threads on the same topic, just a heads up, as It gets annoying clicking into bew threads on a phone only to read the same stuff over n over

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have abit of a point but still br disccusion would have been better people get too thread happy on here and we end up with 50 threads on the same topic, just a heads up, as It gets annoying clicking into bew threads on a phone only to read the same stuff over n over
Duly noted. Merge if needed

@nchorman

Channel 4 News!
Reaction score
Roberts has been at the dogs for a while, he has not had the luxury of playing off a good halfback bar 09. he had his chance during that year and he had a lethal combination with the left hand side. he finally gets a shot with a young, promising halfback and he is put to bench. i wonder what he did wrong. as for his future, well we can only speculate atm. if he still provides no spark with a decent halfback then i say let him go.

Jigga

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I still feel he'll get a decent chance this year, there is no doubt he has the skill and talent but stringing good games together has been his problem, I don't think he is on the outer but i feel they may be going to mix up the game plans this year and with a tight structured game they will go for keating to start and roberts for impact, and if they plan to throw the ball around they will go for roberts with keating of the bench and imo that is a good thing.

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Who Is Ben Roberts?.......................Oh that's right the bloke who got shafted for Keating!

C

chipandchase

Just wondering if Benny getting picked on the bench is the coaching staff's way of telling him he might not be in the plans for the future?

We have brought Keating in, have Aiden Sezar coming through who looks really good and Josh Reynolds as well. There is also Romelo there and a couple of others for depth.

Is Benny's time at the club coming to an end?
it definately is coming to a end if Keating fires, please please do not put Romelo in the same category as the players you have mentioned, lmao.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ben Roberts has been at this club for a long time and has not fired consistently. Sure he puts in a solid performance every now and then but for someone who plays such a vital position, he needs to consistently perform.

Other factors include his poor off-field record which effects sponsorship, endorsements for the club etc. and the general image of what Greenburg sees as the new generation dogs.

With a few gun young halves coming though the ranks and the new number 6 Keating, I think Roberts days are done.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Healthy competition will be good for him if he approaches it right. Get on the field, pass the ball left then cross field or grubber under the posts. Easy game.

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who Is Ben Roberts?.......................Oh that's right the bloke who got shafted for Keating!
yep, the same bloke who despite his undoubted talent has continued to be consistently mediocre.
ben runs sideways, throws no-look passes into the crowd, kicks when he shouldn't etc etc.

keating runs straight, is a constant in support play and doesnt try to overplay his hand to steal the heroics......
pretty simple choice for kevvy really.

Yak From Yass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Roberts needed someone like Keating to make him accountable. With the exception of a coupe of games Roberts has gone missing for the past few years. He will now have to step up to the plate if he believes he has something to offer.

blue&whitepride

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Roberts needed someone like Keating to make him accountable. With the exception of a coupe of games Roberts has gone missing for the past few years. He will now have to step up to the plate if he believes he has something to offer.
I think some of you are missing what Moore is telling Roberts. To my way of thinking Roberts is being told he could play as a ball playing lock forward which is why he is on the bench. Think about it for a sec - he runs very well, has got great hands and is more than big enough. I think Moore will have him come on and play on the left side with Frank and Josh and have Keating play the right side with Hodko playing as a true halfback. I said last year that Roberts will turn ointo a ball playing forward which is what we have been lacking since SBW. Im excited to see this pan out if it does.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm still not sure where he will sub in.

Ideally Ennis should take a breather and allow Roberts to come in and play the ball faster, and speed up the ruck. We know last year when Ennis was injured/on SOO duty, that the fill ins were servicing the halves much faster.

That's a minor criticism of Ennis btw.

For me:
Ennis - 0-30 minutes.
Roberts - 30 - 40 minutes, 40 minutes - 50 minutes.
Ennis - 50 - 80 minutes

But will Roberts be happy with only 20 minutes a game? I doubt so.

But that combination could work well. Bring on a faster ruck and fresh 2nd row and props and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.