EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
the Weber kettle master touch
Don't be fooled by the grill.
I bought that separate.
I have 2 kettles.
One is just a basic cheap compact I got for $40 in new condition.
The other is a 20 year old kettle with the one touch ash sweeper and tray ash catcher.
Nothing special.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a large chargriller with offset smoker. I added some extra sealing and I get a decent constant temp now but it's tricky. Due to me sealing it so well, a full basket in the offset smoker with the intake closed will still result in around 125 degrees. Too high for a low smoke. So I have to cut back on the coals.

I also don't like the snake method. I find it results in a bad chemical taste to the meat. Even if you use natural wood charcoal.
Bad chemical taste from a snake method sounds odd to me.

are you just using briquettes like heat beads? Shouldn’t be getting any sort of chemical taste unless you’re using fuel to heat up the briquettes and not a chimney starter.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't be fooled by the grill.
I bought that separate.
I have 2 kettles.
One is just a basic cheap compact I got for $40 in new condition.
The other is a 20 year old kettle with the one touch ash sweeper and tray ash catcher.
Nothing special.
I was fooled.
I’ve got 2 atm Weber master touch one black and another 60 year anniversary special edition glen blue

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bad chemical taste from a snake method sounds odd to me.

are you just using briquettes like heat beads? Shouldn’t be getting any sort of chemical taste unless you’re using fuel to heat up the briquettes and not a chimney starter.
Nah. Natural wood charcoal, natural wood brickets. I've tried it all.

Apparently I have a thing with the sense of smell. I can smell and taste things that many others can't. I can tell you if something is smoked with wood or pellets based purely on the smell or taste.

It's handy for cooking. When I worked as a chef I would tell excact how a dish would taste by smelling the ingredients. But the downside is that I smell and taste things that you shouldn't smell or taste.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was fooled.
I’ve got 2 atm Weber master touch one black and another 60 year anniversary special edition glen blue
Weber are really at another level. I have the Weber Baby Q gas barby. Getting the Family Q soon. Many don't like the fact that they cook convection style, but the best steaks I have cooked are on the Family Q.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I was fooled.
I was eyeing off those anniversary models.
Great stuff mate.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Weber are really at another level. I have the Weber Baby Q gas barby. Getting the Family Q soon. Many don't like the fact that they cook convection style, but the best steaks I have cooked are on the Family Q.
You won't regret it.
I got premium family Q.
Does an amazing steak.
I bought my mum a baby q
It's amazing what you can do on them

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't regret it.
I got premium family Q.
Does an amazing steak.
I bought my mum a baby q
It's amazing what you can do on them

Weber's are great. We've got a Weber-Q we take away with us on weekends away etc, and also a Weber kettle which just never lets you down. I had a Weber Smokey Mountain for smoking for about 8 years, but last year I sold it as I wanted to give an offset smoker a go.

Hark.png

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is what I have been using for the last few years for all my coal BBQ cooking and smoking.

The Mrs and I had our wedding in the Hunter Valley. Everyone always joked that I was so pedantic about my food that I would cater my own wedding. I ended up prepping all the food for my wedding. The place where we had the wedding had power issues that resulted in us finding out the day before the wedding that we'd have no kitchen to cook stuff, and the catering company pulled out because we couldn't provide sufficient facilities. I ended up bringing this up to the Hunter on the back of a Ute and used it to personally cater for 100 people, while getting married and mingling. Friends helped with the serving and offered to help cook but I refused.

Honestly it was the perfect day. The Mrs hung out with her friend and enjoyed herself. I spent most of my time chatting with friends around the BBQ. The perfect Aussie wedding.

images (6).jpeg

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Weber's are great. We've got a Weber-Q we take away with us on weekends away etc, and also a Weber kettle which just never lets you down. I had a Weber Smokey Mountain for smoking for about 8 years, but last year I sold it as I wanted to give an offset smoker a go.

View attachment 23540
nice one!

I've been considering getting something like this... I'm just debating with myself whether it's worth it because I can achieve essentially the same thing using my kettle, smoking briskets, ribs etc, doing an indirect cooking method.

Tbh, I like the process of cooking preparation of food, the kettle to temp etc, the eating and the finished product is just the reward at the end of the cook.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was eyeing off those anniversary models.
Great stuff mate.
I've had the glen blue for about 3 months now, assembled and just brand new, haven't even cooked on it yet.

I might just do the first cook this weekend, probably deserves a good wagyu brisket.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I've had the glen blue for about 3 months now, assembled and just brand new, haven't even cooked on it yet.

I might just do the first cook this weekend, probably deserves a good wagyu brisket.
Break her in mate.
Do you prefer brisket or beef ribs.
I love both but something about shorties, I just love em

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

View attachment 23540
Happy bbqing mate
Wow I didn't realise how many people were into it.
I thought I was special haha

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
On a side note, best sausages I’ve ever eaten are from Berry NSW. Great steaks too but sausages wow....

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Break her in mate.
Do you prefer brisket or beef ribs.
I love both but something about shorties, I just love em
Personally prefer briskets. The satisfaction when you’ve cooked them how you like it after you wrap them in butchers paper for the last couple hours just to get them to the right tenderness, nothing beats it.

I do okay pork ribs but haven’t perfected it yet. And beef shorties haven’t done those yet and will do at some point.

Do you do briskets? Do you rest them wrapped in a towel and in an esky? I hear it’s a must do and really makes a difference. I usually don’t do this step.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally prefer briskets. The satisfaction when you’ve cooked them how you like it after you wrap them in butchers paper for the last couple hours just to get them to the right tenderness, nothing beats it.

I do okay pork ribs but haven’t perfected it yet. And beef shorties haven’t done those yet and will do at some point.

Do you do briskets? Do you rest them wrapped in a towel and in an esky? I hear it’s a must do and really makes a difference. I usually don’t do this step.
Towel esky method works really well. I usually cook the brisket until clutch then wrap in butchers paper and keep cooking until ready, then wrap in a towel and throw in the esky for a few hours. Comes out great.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Yeah mate
I do brisket often
Yes I basically cook it till I get the smoke in the meat and bark how I like it then I wrap it.
I do wrap in towel and rest in esky for a while.

Mate get some good quality beef ribs.
You won't regret it.
I don't wrap them,
My mate does, but I don't.
I just cook em till they probe like butter.
Then I let em rest.
And gobble em all up.
I'll find some photos